Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 35879 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2020, 02:44:21 pm »

The project is about porting Daggerfall completely into the Unity version and enabling into the game all of what such a modern engine allows.
It's not a modification of Daggerfall the game by itself (though you'll see by default a lot of visual enhancement due to Unity).

But the brillance of Daggerfall Unity is that they have opened the code to modding and some modders have done rather impressive stuff with it, from terrain addition/modification to new quests, new locations, new guilds and events (and of course for graphic people, it allows new graphic thingies ).

I don't know if festivals or flowing water is modded in by now, there are some mods that add a lot of lively NPC stuff, Warmer Ashes about that had been awesome (NPC fighting each other, armies duking it out...) but in recent version it became less awesome as some features of old are missing as the dev was refactoring it in order to include even more great features, hopefully soon(tm)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:21 pm »

Is there a list of (preferably non-Nexus) mods that are recommended? The Daggerfall mods forum badly needs an index.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2021, 12:56:27 pm »

edit : reformatted better the post

Finding a non-Nexus mod is going to be hard as nearly all of the mods for DFU are hosted on Nexus nowadays.

Anyways, here are the mods i have always enabled for all my DFU characters
(links are all to the DFU forum, in their corresponding post there is usually a nexus link to download the mod)

Airships
Archeologists
Basic Magic Regen
Basic Roads
Better Ambience
Convenient Clock
DFU Quest Pack 1
Forgotten Questpack
Improved Interior Lighting
Mercenaries
Mountain&Hills
NPC Health Indicator
Pilgrimages
Readied Spellcasting Hands
Roleplay&Realism (modular)
Skyshards
Sneak and Crouch combined
Tavern Games
Tavern Redone
Warm Ashes
Windmills of Daggerfall

(for Better Ambience, i take care to disable the better snow and rain as it impacts performance in large cities)

Waiting for their updates to be back at being must-have , as i'm unsure they're working right in latest DFU
Villager Immersion Overhaul
(edit : warm ashes is now updated)

Some very interesting mod, but can change the gameplay a lot, so i'm not using them on all my characters
Climate&Calories
Random Starting Dungeon
Travel Options

(Travel Options is amazing, especially in combination with Basic Roads, but if you need to travel far, it can take a very lot of time)
(Climate&Calories is fantastic if you want Daggerfall to be a survival game, as temperature, hydration and nutrition become extremely important and will kill you a lot more than any monsters will do)

There are alternatives to Mountain&Hills (my preference still goes to Mountain&Hills, it play very well with Basic Road) :
Distant Terrain
Interesting Terrain
Eroded and Enhanced Terrain

I really like playing with the Retro Rendering Mode , so the high res mods aren't for me, but if you want HD , these should be the mods you're lookin for :
D.R.E.A.M.
Enhanced Sky
Handpainted Models
Trees of Daggerfall
Real Grass
Splat Terrain Texturing
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:35:44 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:42 am »

I wanted health regen to help with early dungeons, but it's expensive.

I did some looking, and it's 15 hp/hour (which is something like 1 hp/minute real time?). That's not really worth the 14 points (10 for in-dungeon only) when I could buy that many hp with the points.

Anyway, this is a fairly useful page for character creation: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:ClassMaker

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »

I found a "door" that was black and covered in stars. In the middle was a blue symbol that looked like a tooth.

Assuming it wasn't just a cosmic dentist, what was that thing supposed to be?

Edit:
I also feel like I should make a record of which farm, shrine, and graveyard are closest to the city of Daggerfall for that stupid mage guild quest.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 08:12:15 pm by Iduno »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2021, 03:16:09 am »

Do you have a screenshot of it?

Edit: Searching, I guess it was this? If you're playing with mods that is. https://i.redd.it/064xse8spse41.png

I believe it's replacing the base games brick wall. They're used as teleporters sometimes. It seems like a mod has changed it's appearance to make it stand out. The symbol is one that stands for Oblivion.

If it's a teleporter, running into it or using it may take you somewhere else in the dungeon. It might not, however, as the brickwalls are also used to block off corridors that don't lead anywhere. Or sometimes they just don't do anything.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2021, 03:54:01 am »

I don't know if the hd mod you're using have different textures for the different type of teleporters (the one that work, the one that do nothing and the one that is a trap), but be carefull with them, sometime it's a damage trap that can kill your character if he doesn't have enough health.

edit : oh the developer of Warm Ashes updated it !!
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?p=51621#p51621

fantastic.

(edit : if you had a warm ashes.dfmod in your ...\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Mods\  from a previous beta, delete it, the Warm Ashes mod is back at using the quests and questpacks folders system instead)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 05:39:17 am by Robsoie »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2021, 09:14:29 am »

Do you have a screenshot of it?

Edit: Searching, I guess it was this? If you're playing with mods that is. https://i.redd.it/064xse8spse41.png

I believe it's replacing the base games brick wall. They're used as teleporters sometimes. It seems like a mod has changed it's appearance to make it stand out. The symbol is one that stands for Oblivion.

If it's a teleporter, running into it or using it may take you somewhere else in the dungeon. It might not, however, as the brickwalls are also used to block off corridors that don't lead anywhere. Or sometimes they just don't do anything.

Yeah, that looks like the one.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:37 pm »

Now NPCs aren't spawning and walking around when I'm a werewolf. I understand that they wouldn't go outside when there's a werewolf around, but not even guards?

Edit: Changing back into a human fixed that, and then I was forced back into being a werewolf. At least I can get my monthly kill.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:58:45 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2021, 02:40:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So glad I'm using the small dungeons setting.

Edit: Although making it easier to tell "unexplored hallway" from "that dead-end you've visited 4 times already" would be nice. Put a question mark at the end of unexplored bits or something so I can tell where I haven't been.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 03:31:40 pm by Iduno »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2021, 02:52:51 pm »

Daggerfall random dungeons had always been a thing of nightmares , i still remember when i finally gave up getting lost in them just to find a ridiculous item a dungeon random quest was targetting, and started to use the teleport to "item quests locations" cheats .

So glad Daggerfall Unity has this "smaller dungeon" settings (as they are still big enough) i have been having much more fun searching for the quests items without teleporting anymore.

But takes note that it is only for the random dungeons, the story dungeons are manually crafted (and why their geometry is so different than all the random dungeons) and aren't affected by the settings (fortunately as some have interesting designs).

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2021, 01:04:59 pm »

I don't know if the hd mod you're using have different textures for the different type of teleporters (the one that work, the one that do nothing and the one that is a trap), but be carefull with them, sometime it's a damage trap that can kill your character if he doesn't have enough health.

edit : oh the developer of Warm Ashes updated it !!
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?p=51621#p51621

fantastic.

(edit : if you had a warm ashes.dfmod in your ...\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Mods\  from a previous beta, delete it, the Warm Ashes mod is back at using the quests and questpacks folders system instead)

Hmm, so this mod doesn't happen to randomly spawn sabre-tooth tigers in the general store or anything? because that was kind of brutal. Perhaps it not this mod doing it but something is behaving fishy. Also had a bunch of grizzlies try and maul me at the inn.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2021, 01:15:37 pm »

I haven't yet played with the latest version the author released recently ( 3.0.6 at the time )  but there shouldn't be tigers and grizzly spawning in the shops, unless there's a quest that is involving monster in abuilding.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2021, 05:54:15 pm »

I had some difficulty getting the price down (they had me turn someone into a harpy, who attacked me and then I killed them. Failed the quest), but I got some witches to summon a daedra to assist with my lycanthropy for "only" ~185k gold.

Hmm, so this mod doesn't happen to randomly spawn sabre-tooth tigers in the general store or anything? because that was kind of brutal. Perhaps it not this mod doing it but something is behaving fishy. Also had a bunch of grizzlies try and maul me at the inn.

That sounds like something related to a quest.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:56:34 pm by Iduno »

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2021, 07:21:47 pm »

I suspect it was something to do with this:

-Added measures to keep Wilderness Encounters from happening on loading a save.

Certainly both times it happened straight after I loaded a save. Anyway a massive slow down vanished when I disabled the mod, so I'll just play without.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14