Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 36478 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2019, 12:47:50 am »

I think you need to rely on buying or creating and casting a "create arrow" spell to actually get ammunition.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2019, 01:01:43 am »

I've never tried a thief character in any Elder Scrolls game, actually. For as much as I complain about my characters being OP at everything by the end game, I can't stand the thought of my characters not being good at something.

Playing through Oblivion and Fallout 4 simultaneously with this game is messing with my head. I keep trying to use Oblivion's default controls to do things in Daggerfall, or switch to third person to see around corners.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2019, 11:34:41 am »

There's a new mod for DFU! It improves all the interior lighting and actually adds color to lights, so you can have that warm fireplace or torch lighting!

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2479&p=28963

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2019, 11:37:08 am »

Spent lot of money in the fighter guild trainer to get the all required skills that i had still too low and didn't wanted to bother grinding manually to the minimum for another rank up, the good thing is that you can sleep in the fighter guild when you're a member so you don't have to train a few times -> go to rent a room in tavern regularly, you can do all in the same place.

Once i finally got my Guardian rank, i decided to go spend some time at the beach around a lake in the west of Wayrest (i based my character adventures on Menevia, that is close to Wayrest) that was close to a town so it was a short travel on my horse cart to reach it.

And the less i can say is that monsters and bandits (i use the excellent warm ashes) seems to be interested in going to the beach, except that they don't like sharing it with the player character
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and don't forget to check your weapons/armor pieces level of damage, they can break if you don't have them repaired regularly (i usually do it at the fighter guild) , i just lost an excellent dwarven longsword that had Sphere of Negation a on strike, good i always keep some spare weapons.
By default you couldn't repair magic weapons in Daggerfall, but by adding a line in the z.cfg it enabled this possibility.
Daggerfall Unity added this as an option, so if you want to repair a magic weapon you'll have to enable the option first.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2019, 12:11:19 pm »

I think the Mage's Guild offers magic item repair. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't plan on joining or don't have the appropriate rank.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2019, 12:43:04 pm »

Only if you have turned it on in the options.

But unless they changed how it works in D-U in comparison to old Daggerfall it's not the same repairing as in regular repair, in old Daggerfall once you added the possibility to repair magic items, you had to go to the enchant object guy (in the mage guild by example), and enchant a cloth/armor with the power "repair" (+/- 9000 gold needed for the enchanting) and equip it to have the enchantment working its way.

With enough time it would get items (one by one, one after the other, so the more items you have in inventory the more time it will take) back to the condition "New"  , if there's an item you want repaired first, drop the other (into wagon or in your storage house/ship).

From my observation it's only magic weapons that degrade, i have not seen a piece of magic armor/cloth i currently wear to get below "New" (a bug ?)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »

Oh, I never got far enough in classic Daggerfall for it to matter.

I've been over every inch of Theodyrick Laboratory and killed enough mages and battlemages to depopulate a small country, but I still haven't found the wizard that the Mage's Guild wants dead so badly. If I can't find him in the next two or three play sessions, I think I might cheat to see where he is and use that to work my way there "legitimately."

I'm trying to play as vanilla as possible, as I do on my first play-through of any Bethesda game, but smaller dungeons is sounding mighty appealing after four sessions of staring at the map looking for unexplored areas.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2019, 01:10:09 pm »

"smaller dungeons" are still big enough so you may need the map to find unexplored areas, it still take time to find an item/enemy target in there but that's not as hyper tedious as regular dungeons.
EDIT : finally found my first mythril weapon ! Good i don't have to worry anymore about any enemy immunity
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 01:11:41 pm by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »

Careful with DFU magic repair - it's bugged for me and I wasn't able to fix any magic item that I have no matter if it's turned off.

Just had another one of those kill crazed orc quests for Knights of the Dragon. The dungeon was full of fokking giants. There were three of them in the room with the orc I was after! At least got an advancement to Keeper after this quest, which granted me a dwarven armor piece and free inns in the entire Illiac Bay.

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2019, 02:51:03 pm »

I found a good character build. I tried a diplomatic/language one, but that was too hard. Tried two mage builds which both kinda sucked worse than the diplomat build for some reason. But 3rd mage I've built is a ton better. Kinda need melee early on, but magic gets a lot better later.

For those curious I'll add it to this spoiler, since its pretty OP (at least at low levels, I imagine even stronger later)

Probably gamey and OP, but at least I can actually play the game without dying to every single thing I meet :P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:01:30 pm by Trolldefender99 »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »

Spent a few days camping in the wild just outside of Menevia capital , the less i can say is that it can get populated fast between the normal Daggerfall wilderness spawns and the ones from the warm ashes mod wilderness "invisible quests" .

After a week as i was using this not only as a source of money/loot but also grinding some skills, the location started to be very populated

But also some disapointement, the warm ashes mod wilderness encounters aren't all only negative, you can also get some friendly/neutral spawns too, encoutering a party of adventurer going on their adventures etc..
Unfortunately despite the infighting feature of D-U on that location there were several "friendly" nightblades, healers and warriors and several hostile monsters but they never attacked each other.

I searched around and apparently the spawns from quests are "protected" from the infighting feature, sad as it would be great to have quests spawning opposing armies, but as they would be spawned by quests they would never fight .
I hope in the future they'll find a way to manage the faction system with integrating spawns from quests.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 06:43:23 pm by Robsoie »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2019, 08:43:45 pm »

If I knew more about Unity and modding, I'd mod two such things- maybe make a 15-20% chance for a found ingredient item to be replaced by a potion (you seriously just don't 'find' the things, although it makes joining a faction that sells them a significant choice), and something like a 'writ of training (skillname)' as a sort of one-time training blurb you can find and use out in the world, perhaps on the same droptable as maps and recipes. It'd be a helpful way to train skills like Dragonish or whatever for when your guild is making demands on minimum skill levels.

According to UESP, nobody in vanilla Daggerfall either buys or sells potions. The only way to acquire them is to find them (rare but possible, I've found a few) or make them via a guild or temple that offers a Potion Maker.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2019, 11:28:02 pm »

running is pretty much in everyones build.

I think jumping or athletics or whatever is also hilarious when you've got it leveled more than expected - which takes about 30 minutes. You can jump over buildings and pretty much anything else. Also, it's a reasonably fast way to travel, if annoying.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2019, 05:41:24 am »

Finished the quests for Morgiah and Lhotun then got back to Westhead Moor (my current town of residence) to train destruction so I can finally rank up in Mages Guils.

There's a new version of DFU fixing some things, but also forbidding selling magic items in shops. Also, careful with the magic items - I asked on discord and the magic repair is not working in the few current builds. It'll be working in the next build release.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2019, 06:08:49 am »

Thanks for the notice, that's a very good list of fixes and as mentionned previously they now have customisable loiter time.

About the magic item, i don't think it's that important to be able to repair them, because if you rank up in the mage guild you'll have access to the magic item maker, it's costly but in the same time you can do a lot. So not being able to repair magic weapons may be an incentive to make you use the mage guild to produce new ones

And only magic weapons degrade their condition, you will have no problem with cloth/armor/jewelry you enchanted anyways.

If you install the Archaeologists mod and then get a locator, you can use it in the dungeon after exploring some 25% of it and it'll draw a circle straight towards the objective- super handy if you have a way to replace locators and/or you're getting desperate to find your objective. 10/10 would totally recommend this mod.
I had the mod but didn't knew about the locator, thanks for pointing this, i'll have to get a locator to cut the dungeon crawling time when looking for the elusive quest targets.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:12:52 am by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14