Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 36826 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2019, 06:18:50 am »

Imagine what it was on old dos Daggerfall when the view distance was so low you couldn't see at more than +/- 30meters , the wilderness was the most useless feature of the game, because it looked so bad due to the view distance not allowing to see any scenery and so empty out of random tree or rock, there was simply no interest in walking/horsing between villages/dungeons.

To improve the sight seeing in Daggerfall Unity, there's also this one i use :
Moutains&Hills :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1008
that makes the wilderness more interesting to see, so travelling instead of fast-travelling become slightly less boring

the Tedious Travel mod looks nice, the accelerate time feature especially, i will have to give it a try

similarly to morrowind there's a "distant land" mod that may be usefull too but i never tried it :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=10

Oh and as mentionned Warm Ashes is a must have if you want less peacefull travels, as out of the other features it also add wilderness encounters
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1087

An important tip for people not used to Daggerall combat system and that will save your low level characters : learn to time your backpedalling during fight allows to avoid enemy hitting you.
I seems obvious but you're often tempted to just strike after strike until enemy is dead, that may not be a bad idea against a rat (well depending on your class as a rat can kill the weakest classes or not that well min-maxed custom classes) but against a skeleton you're just going to die when you're low level.

For fighting a skeleton, a first good idea is to disable in the option the "improved AI" as if it only applied to intelligent enemies it wouldn't be bad, but as it applies even to rats it only serves as making combat more tedious as instead of either always going to you or running away, the AI would sometime move back for a few seconds, wait before attacking again.
the backpedal method still work against "improved AI" but it just take a lot more time because as said the AI will sometime move back and wait, making you wait too as you're not wanting to rush the enemy that is waiting in case it is ready to strike.

So the skeleton rushes you, when it reaches a certain distance it will strike, if you're immobile when it strike there's a lot of chance the hit will connect and severely injure you, so instead of waiting when you see the skeleton reaching the striking distance, backpedal and there's a huge lot of chance the strike will miss you.
It is now that you attack, depending on your character (probably a mix between you character speed attribute and your selected game speed/difficulty) you will be able to strike probably 3 times without retaliation (2 if you're cautious).
when you can do the 3rd , it is very likely that it is time the skeleton will become able to strike again extremely soon and so time for you to prepare to backpedal again to lower a very lot the chance to be hit.

The secret is to know your timing, when to backpedal and when to strike, this make surviving combat in early game a lot more possible than "oh it's a skeleton in Privateer Hold, my character is so dead"
Then you have ranged enemies :D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:29:59 am by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:51 am »

Skeletons only give me troubles if there's a swarm of them attacking me, and only when I'm low level. I use the backpedal-strike technique for a pretty long time now, I first played Daggerfall a few years ago. Went through all the catacombs in Daggerfall region today due to role-plaing reasons (you can't play this game without turning it into serious roleplaying after some time).

Spoiler: Long Backstory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:03:03 am by Dark One »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:12 am »

I was sent into another fetch quest by the mage guild.

The dungeon i was exploring was nearly exactly the same as the one with the many, many red brick walls teleporters, the only difference i saw was the the tunnel under the trap door once you use the lever wasn't filled by any water.
Oh and instead of legions of skeletons, this one had legions of healers and nightblades, and 2 harpies.
Despite their immunity against several materials harpies have no protection against hand to hand, so if you have good punch/kick stat and no dwarven (or better material weapon) , either run past those nasty things or punch them to death (their death preferably).

After exploring the whole dungeon (thanks to the smaller dungeon option) i nearly went mad at not finding the damned quest item .
Finally got it from a room with crates
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2019, 12:02:35 pm »

Wait, is dwarven better than elven? I thought I picked up a dwarven weapon that did less than the same weapon in elven material.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »

It is metal level wise - you can't hurt harpies with elven but can with dwarven. But then you need at least mithril to hurt vampire ancients.

Made some more find-kill and fetch quests for Mages Guild and my favorite - the night watch in the guild hall quest. And still my only magical item is that wand that increases Dragonish.

I actually like large and long spanning dungeons for quests, but then I chose Regenerate Health as an advantage during class making, which heals me up even when I loiter, so I can explore pretty fast. Also, I like that lighting items are actually useful in DF Unity. The lantern and oil make a really good tool and a really big difference for all those long ventures into the dark corridoors - the lantern shines really long and you need only 3 units of oil to get it from Worn to New or Almost New, and the oil stacks up in the inventory, which makes it far better than non-stackable candles and torches.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2019, 12:22:18 pm »

They sent you into the depths of a dungeon to find a cluster of grapes?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2019, 12:42:49 pm »

That's some fairy scale actually, but it coulc have been grapes it would have been the same, those quest givers like to send you to your death for the most ridiculous item.
Even more funny when you already have some in your inventory, but the quest giver does not care , he NEEDS that item down in that dark dungeon filled with doom and death , not the one , very safe, you already have in your inventory :D

For the loitering option that allow to wait in town without being considered a vagrant and get the "Halt!" guys coming your way, in default game it's limited to max 3 hours for some reason, so if you need/want to loiter more hours without having to re-use the (R)est->loiter function multiple times there's this mod that remove this odd limitation :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2450

It looks like it has a good chance to be integrated in the game on future builds, probably as an option.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2019, 01:41:33 pm »

My favorite thing about the "get item from dungeon" quest is that they always complain about the item not being fresh. It's a monster body part that's been on the floor of a dungeon for God knows how long, what do you want? :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 04:27:58 pm »

As i gained a rank in the mage guild and in the temple of dibella, i remembered : there's already the reputation requirement, but there's also a timed one : you can only rank up every 28 days within a guild, even if you are way past the reputation requirement.

So after reaching a reputation requirement, just travel around for enough day so the next time you talk to your fellow guild members your ranking up is processed.

edit : oh nice, after a "fetch that item" that a lich stole from us but you don't need to fight said lich (and i used recall to be sure i didn't had to die :D ) the dibella quest giver rewarded me with some magic sandals, after identifying them, those are sandal that "cast orc strength when held"
Sure it looks odd on my leather armored battlemage and has horrible protection, but that's some nice damage boost there as by default i have  "only" 60 in strength.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:32:49 pm by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 05:37:34 pm »

Finally got a cool enchanted item out of guarding the guild hall quest - it was a jewel with Wildfire spell, I'm going to use that against some tougher opponents. Also got an advancement in the Mages Guild and I can buy enchanted items as well! I wanted to buy a house in the city that I settled on for now, but I'm still 5 millions short.

I moved on to other regions with cleansing out burial sites. The monsters infighting and added by Warm Ashes checks make up for some really cool roleplaying opportunities. In one of the crypts, a thief attacked me, but a skeleton crept up behind him and started pounding on him. I thought "Shall I intervene or wait until the skeleton is done with him?", then when the thief died I proceeded to kill that bony bastard. Then I thought "I could've killed the thief swift and fast myself and deal with the skeleton anyway." And the checks allow you to pacify an enemy, making it non-hostile. It happened with another thief in another catacomb. I thought about making a thievish character next, so now I've got a backstory element for that - an undead hunter spared the life of a grave robber when searching for a vampire lord.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2019, 06:11:48 pm »

You can aim to buy a ship, much much cheaper than a house (still require lot of money) , it makes a good storage place while waiting for being rich enough for getting houses

The etiquette skill despite being still low on my character pacified a few enemies already (mages and healers so far) , i hope if people manage in the future to make a companion system this could play a role.

After selling loot from a recent quest (i got another promotion in the temple of dibella allowing me access to their library, good except they have no library or book anywhere :D ) i bought a cart (for the extra carrying capacity) and a horse .
Solo horse are supposed to be faster than the cart integrated ones, but i can't seem to notice this (in fact it seemed the cart horse was actually faster in some test ), the other difference is solo horse can jump (and do not have the additional sound from the cart).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:14:12 pm by Robsoie »

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2019, 06:38:18 pm »

The travel mod I posted in my rant (which wasnt much point in a rant, should have just talked about the mod. Was half asleep when I posted, but still pointless lol)

Anyway, the travel mod is cool. You select a point of interest to travel to and your character "auto"travels there. So I can only travel on foot, and you get to watch your character actually make his/her way to the destination on foot. There is a horse/wagon/ship option too, but dunno what that is like.

You can also speed up how fast time goes as you travel. Can slow it down to 1x (still faster than walking/running there) or by default can go 10x and I haven't tried to see if it can go higher but 10x is pretty fast.

So for anyone else who likes immersive travel, its a great mod. Though not sure how wagons/ships work like I said, it be cool and amazing if get to actually travel on a ship.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2019, 01:47:08 am »

Are there any mods for Daggerfall: Unity that procgen the levels per save? So you can have a different experience every character.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 09:28:36 am »

Not yet, there was someone many years ago that made this as some test :
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78

But i imagine now that Daggerfall Unity is getting more traction with the release of this alpha may hopefully attract more coders so we may finally see some cool dungeon generation feature taking place in the future. I wish there was something like the utterly amazing Oblige and expansion level generator for Doom.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:33:38 am by Robsoie »

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2019, 02:51:52 pm »

Continuing my roleplay catacomb exploration, I was attacked by a thief and promptly killed him. This is one of the best drops I had with this character so far, and it's out of a measly thief - an enchanted dwarven-grade dai-katana!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14