Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall  (Read 36191 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2021, 07:08:04 pm »

I suspect it was something to do with this:

-Added measures to keep Wilderness Encounters from happening on loading a save.

Certainly both times it happened straight after I loaded a save. Anyway a massive slow down vanished when I disabled the mod, so I'll just play without.

Yeah, mods can get weird if they're for an older version. I had a very nice autosave mod, until something changed the z-axis, meaning any save I loaded I started below ground, and fell forever.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 31, 2021, 03:16:58 am »

From what i remember reading there was a change at some point in DFU because when you owned a boat the player sometime didn't spawned correctly on it.
Falling through the ground and the void is one of the most famous bug of the original Daggerfall though :D
It was a reason in itself to always learn the recall spell and always put a recall anchor outside the dungeon you entered.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:18:52 am by Robsoie »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2021, 05:38:36 am »

The warm ashes author released a new version, in the hope it will fix the problem a few people reported about wilderness encounter happening where they shouldn't :

https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?p=52338#p52338

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 08, 2021, 10:09:23 pm »

Warm Ashes got to the point in my game where it was spawning piles of encounters everywhere I went. Hopefully he gets it nailed down, because it's fun otherwise.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2021, 07:30:36 pm »

Late game recall issue:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Second time in a story dungeon I've been permanently trapped, but at least this one is more my fault than the game's. Last time it was because the recall spell anchor is not reusable for some reason, and sometimes just disappears.

Edit: console commands solved the problem, but it's still a good thing to be aware of. Same reason the guard in Castle Daggerfall warns you not to use spells inside.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:14:15 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2021, 03:50:28 pm »

I'm in possibly the last story dungeon, and have no idea what I'm supposed to do, or if I screwed something up by clipping through the ground.

I like most of the game, but dungeons were not the strong point.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2021, 08:19:52 am »

random dungeons were way worse than the constructed storyline ones, after a while of seemingly neverending walks in corridors that mostly looked all the same with just different textures, you just started to check how to use the cheat codes to teleport directly to quest locations within them.

That's probably why i was super happy to learn DFU had implemented this optional smaller dungeon feature, that made to me dungeon crawling fun again because while they were still big enough, they never felt never ending repeated tiles anymore like it was unfortunately back in the days .
(the option does nothing for storyline constructed dungeons by the way, it's only for the thousand of random dungeons that non storyline quests will use)

Anyways, the warm ashes addon author has been hard at work with lots of projects
https://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3974
(and probably why Warm Ashes didn't got updated as often as before as it seems all those projects will very likely merge one day into a giant feature packed  super upgraded Warm Ashes).

His last work is on some rather amazing banditry system.
Here a farm getting raided by a bandit group, with farms guards fighting them out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NrYD5ZEKbI
When a player enters a farm there is a chance that farm is to be raided. Depending on reputation, your side will be dependent on how the region sees you. If you are a known criminal, you will be with the bandit forces.

You do not have to participate in these raids, however they will continue without you. Do your business and get the hell out, or you might find the Farm you are at fall to ruin. You'll be updated periodically if a set of units are depleted. If all of the farm guardsmen have been killed, the raid ends and the farm will be destroyed. (Not permanently) If the bandits are taken out first then the farm will be saved. Right now I am in the process of writing a quest to reward the player and give text according to what is happening. I'm also adding random chances of other types of raids like orc raids and giant raids but they will be smaller events and not well organized as the bandits will be.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2021, 02:52:13 pm »

In DOS Daggerfall, there is an exploit with stairs and slopes. If you levitate into a ceiling slope under a certain angle (straight up, IIRC), you can phase through it.
Walls are only opaque from the corridors and spells and arrows can mostly pass into the corridors and not out. So a magician can just levitate around the dungeon and find the goal that way.
To get back in, find a slope and levitate into it from below.

I did that a lot.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 16, 2021, 01:45:50 pm »

I never knew that stair/slope trick, i remember falling into the void when jumping in stair/slope though .
Thinking about it, i never managed to fall into the void in Daggerfall Unity, maybe that's a bug they definitively fixed.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 16, 2021, 02:23:48 pm »

I managed to fall into the void, but only when I used the autosave mod. Either is did the z-axis wrong, or one of the graphics mods changed the z-axis (which is the explanation I've heard).

I also didn't manage to get through the walls in a slope, but I did when I got stuck behind some furniture and tried the stand/crouch thing to escape. Luckily I had a levitation spell and was able to find a hallway or something where I could get back to the dungeon.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2022, 11:12:05 am »

Coming back to Daggerfall Unity , using the latest version ( 0.13.5 at the time) and so redownloading mods i used as nearly all of them were updated.
Was sad to notice 2 mods i used to like were abandonned (Warm Ashes and Villager Immersion Overhaul)  but a lot of new mods also popped up, one named Vanilla Enhanced has a massive amount of village and bandit visual variety that could replace the villager immerision overhaul nicely, though it has several other mods incompatibilities.

Noticed an interesting project, World of Daggerfall that rework the mostly empty wilderness by adding tons of stuff in it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_5Xi9FiZAA

And another mod named Power Struggle that has a lot of potential as it translate in actual ingame events the many flavor messages the game used to show sometime but that unfortunately had no impact at gameplay.
Even unmodded, the game keeps track of wars, alliances, famines, plagues and even witch hunts, but doesn't actually use these data... until now.

FEATURES:
- wars: the enemy army will clash with the locals', prisoners will be will be executed;
- banned factions: guards will hunt down their members (this may include you);
- plagues: rats will rule the place, bodies will be gethered in stacks and burned;
- witch hunts: ashes of the burned witches; random chance that witches will attack the town;
- crime waves: thieves and assassins even in daylight (and they may help you if you belong to their faction).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 11:20:34 am by Robsoie »

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 28, 2022, 06:32:36 pm »

Been playing DF:U off and on myself for a couple years and just was playing after almost a year-long break myself.

Really enjoy that they're getting close to making it as good as modded Morrowind.
Plenty of modders on the forum that seem to have the same priorities as myself (ironman/realism type options, like Skyrim overhaul "Requiem"which i can't play Skyrim without now, or the various Morrowind mods I won't play without either).

I haven't updated in many months, but i have a stable modded game I'm enjoying right now.
I've modded things like the graphics, adding airships & some realism options like need for clothing/weather+food,
and as many of the "unlevel the game aspect x, y and z" mods as I can get to run at once.
Good play experiences, fun characters created using mods from people like: (search their names on Nexus eh)
Ralzar
Jay
Hazelnut
Kab
Meritamas
Kingofworms (DREAM)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2022, 03:55:26 am »

Noticed that on the latest builds, the "Smaller Dungeon" option is finally available in the game option menu, previously you could only enable it by editing the settings.ini file.

There's a very configurable minimap addon too :
https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/233

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall Unity project
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2022, 08:14:08 pm »

DF Unity has the console functions (using the ` button) that mimic some of the console stuff one might have done in later T.E.S. games [iirc?], which I find very nice.
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall_Mod:Daggerfall_Unity/Console
you can also just open the console in game and type help then scroll through the list of commands, though the link has descriptions of them that make it a little bit easier to learn.

I don't think of it as cheating to sometimes use the console for some things in Daggerfall...
since many of the randomly created dungeons are actually impossible to do certain things in.
(like explore/loot everything, or even find the quest item sometimes. There's an archealogists' guild mod that adds some stuff to help with that sort of thing i think, and i am using that mod, but i still find that i will only spend so many hours searching for something before i'm just like okay `tele2qmarker

But i tend to choose my quests carefully and save/restore rather than "console cheat" maybe half the time,
so the main one i use on occasion is just:
​"teleport" [to target of your cursor dot which represents the middle of where you are looking]

more PRO TIPS for DF:Unity
1) Save often, save a lot. Save before you do almost anything of consequence.
2) Try not to forget to set up your teleport-to spot somewhere useful (like near where you need to turn in a quest, so you can take more time doing the ones with shorter time limits...
which i have found is much more difficult with the mods i have running that wear out my endurance heavily
3) if you're using the realism type mods i am... you will probably find this stuff out the hard way, but:
A. The food/sleep need can actually kill you if your endurance runs out enough that you start taking hp damage , so you do need to plan a little bit of how you are going to rest... there's camping gear to setup a fire to sleep-well-at (you can use almost any fireplace to get good sleep at as long as it's legal there and no monsters, but you can also sleep with no fire or camping gear and get "enough" sleep).
B. inns are great,
C. Spells, of course, can also convert mana into endurance. (i almost always take the highest intx3 mana character build perk available since it's kind of like why not... the game is bare bones enough without plenty of magic imo.)
D. Food/drink of different types helps you not lose endurance so fast and even gives a small boost, so there's actually a point to paying different amounts for the massive variety of different food items offered at different inns!
D1. Starting with the 1-2 gold cows milk or 3 gold berry juice, 4 gold tea, ale etc, and then 2 gold gruel for breakfast, 1-2 gold for leftovers at the right times of day, but more often things like 6-20+ gold for a nice meal of stuff like sausage, rabbit, stew and other yummy local dishes that seem to change based on general area/nation.
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2023, 10:18:15 am »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]