Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44463 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:19:29 pm »

Oxygen not included, Klei entertainments new game was released into alpha today.

It is a colony management game, inside a massive asteroid a strange gate lights up, depositing 3 duplicants and a box of rations into a chamber that, luckily, has enough oxygen, for now at least. You control the duplicants, setting orders for them to do various tasks as you manage your resources, mining out areas, making food, beds. You'll have to start producing oxygen shortly, as the oxylite rocks will quickly exhaust themselves. You'll also need to find ways to power your machines and gather water for your plants and dupes as you branch dig out and explore the asteroid. The game models both gas and liquid flow, which becomes very important as you have to manage your air, trying to keep it pure of toxins and carbon dioxide and with plenty of oxygen for your dupes to breath.

Right now there's not a huuuge amount to the game, I played for about five and a half hours, and in that time I think I managed to more or less see most of what the game has to offer thus far.  There's some balancing that needs to be done, and obviously a lot of content needs to be added before it's a full game. But despite that it's fun, or at least I had a lot of fun, managing my dupes and exploring the area, setting up ways to get more resources to keep myself going. Currently the game costs 20 bucks, and you have to buy it from their forum, logging on with your steam account. I dunno why they did such a strange thing rather then just letting you buy it from steam, I'd conjuncture to keep it to a relatively small audience as they work on the alpha before they do a full launch into early access (what a strange way to say it... "Full launch into early access." But I guess that's how games work these days.) on the steam store.

Link to post where you can buy it from.

Anyway, I figured since we don't have a thread for this game (afaik?) I'd go ahead and make one, so that if anyone is interested enough to buy into the alpha (like I was) they could find out how to buy it and perhaps we can talk about our experiences or whatever.

I've played one game so far, lasting the whole 5.5 hours I played. During it I found that my whole group more or less was on constant 100% stress, but apparently that didn't matter to them that much, it certainly didn't seem to do much until the end (where I guess it sorta killed me). I ended up dying when I ran out of power. I burned up all my coal and the hydrogen generators were... Fairly useless. I couldn't use the hamster wheels for power since the super stressed dupes would keep breaking them. Eventually I gave up trying to fix the situation and waited for them to all starve to death.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:26 pm »

reserved ( watching with interest)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:54 am »

Heh, the need to dig around to find air to breathe underground seems pulled straight from the Dungeon Keeper-knockoff Lego Rock Raiders. I actually loved that game as a kid so it'd be cool if this captured some of that, with an adult-friendly level of difficulty.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:50:20 am »

Ah yeah Lego Raiders - I really liked this ones gameplay vids, too and I've been stalking it ;)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:22:03 am »

Cool. Purchased and installed. Just because its Klei. I'll share some thoughts later.

EDIT: Klei
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:00:15 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:43 am »

Since it's by Klei and it's cheap, I decided to grab this. Will post my impressions later.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:13:49 am »

I liked the video they'd put out awhile ago, and klei makes neat things with neat arts. Gonna get it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 10:54:58 am »

I really want to buy this game, but I also don't want to get burned out on it before they release the full game. 
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:58:41 am »

Wish it would tell you what a building inputs and outputs (liquid wise) before you build it, but it is usually always dirty water.

Loading refills the guys Air, so if you are very presistent you can build your entire thing without making oxygen.

Algea seems mostly useless, even with air and light, but the options are fairly limited. Co˛ moves so very slowly, that even with a shaft every 5 titles it won't move down fast enough without pressure from elsewhere.

Oh and if you spam Algea like I did, it will overpressure your cave and you won't be able to pump/move air around and basically die because the masses of oxygen keep the co˛ in akward places.

Vomit seems to explode out over like 12 titles and takes years to mob up, ugh.

Next time I will certainly build more like this:

Living Areas
####Stuff Area
########Algea Area + Farming + shit
########################

in open areas, so the co˛ filters down. Several levels/many rooms seem to always cause some issues...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 11:33:55 am »

Wish it would tell you what a building inputs and outputs (liquid wise) before you build it, but it is usually always dirty water.

I'm sure it does do this, when you click on something to build it, it will give you an info panel that details all of it's inputs and outputs. This panel does disappear once you've moved your mouse off the building selection window though.

As for the rest, I found algea to be really good for scrubbing the co2 out of the air, it's important to note that Co2 will go down and o2 will go up. I found that having my beds arrayed in a stack with the occasional gas permeable tiles to allow airflow and the algea farms below works really well. Stuff below the algea farms will slowly fill with Co2, but everything above stays nice and fresh.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:41:48 am »

I have found it really easy to handle stress. At first, you'll want cots for everyone ASAP. Later on, you'll want to build a shower too. Bad sleep and filth seem to be the main sources of stress.

The only main problem I ran into was running out of water. My reservoir is currently half of what it used to be, and I don't see any way to get more water that doesn't involve purifying it (which is slow) or exploring and pumping it back to the base.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 12:14:34 pm »

I found stress quite hard to handle once you start digging into the tainted water. Setting up pumps in it will inevitably give most of your dudes a fairly big stress penalty that lasts for a very long time, and. I think a bug...? Happens when they (I think this is the cause) go above a certain threshold that reverse the benefit they get from good decor into more stress. These combined make it very hard to keep stress low when you're purifying water, and if you don't manage to keep it very low, it's basically blown for good.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 12:25:33 pm »

I found stress quite hard to handle once you start digging into the tainted water. Setting up pumps in it will inevitably give most of your dudes a fairly big stress penalty that lasts for a very long time, and. I think a bug...? Happens when they (I think this is the cause) go above a certain threshold that reverse the benefit they get from good decor into more stress. These combined make it very hard to keep stress low when you're purifying water, and if you don't manage to keep it very low, it's basically blown for good.
Showering remove the dirty water modifier. I've observed my dupes immediately going to the shower when they are done working in areas with dirty water.

Has anyone found any "bleach stone"? I have no idea what that is, because I've found none.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 12:42:31 pm »

Man Letsplays of this are hilariously garbage in their first videos.

Though I do have to say that it seems like quite a few people only luckily stumble into how some blocks are oxygen producers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 12:44:39 pm »

ptw this looks hilarious
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20