Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!  (Read 7023 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Valheim - Survivaling the norse way!
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2021, 06:10:34 am »

Another troll question though. Do cutting trees in the Black Forest spawn trolls? Or am I just imagining things?
Love, scriver~

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2021, 06:24:10 am »

So, I was fighting a troll earlier, shooting it with a bow and I noticed something interesting : when I shot his crotch, he seemed to take more damage and to be briefly stunned, visibly reeling in pain, making it much easier to kill. I didn't fight any other trolls since then so I couldn't reiterate the experience, but has anyone else noticed this ? Do other large enemies have weak spots ?

[edit:] Tried it again, didn't seem to work...

I believe the stun states are caused by several hits in quick succession. Greydwarfs will reel back for a bit after you hit them about 2 times in a row. I think you can also cause the stun state by timing a block to just before the hit lands.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2021, 06:31:32 am »

Another troll question though. Do cutting trees in the Black Forest spawn trolls? Or am I just imagining things?
Near as I can tell, cutting in the black forest only spawns greydwarves. However, it also projects a fairly large detection alert radius from your location to other spawned mobs such as trolls.

This means if a troll is already spawned but outside your visual range, your Yon Yonsening will attract them towards your location. I've noticed this when cutting birch for fine wood on the border of a black forest. The troll will come out of the forest towards your location, crossing the biome border to reach you. If you stealth, they'll return after awhile to their normal patrol zone.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2021, 08:31:52 am »

Mining in the forest also seems to project that large detection radius.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2021, 09:00:46 am »

So, I was fighting a troll earlier, shooting it with a bow and I noticed something interesting : when I shot his crotch, he seemed to take more damage and to be briefly stunned, visibly reeling in pain, making it much easier to kill. I didn't fight any other trolls since then so I couldn't reiterate the experience, but has anyone else noticed this ? Do other large enemies have weak spots ?

I believe the stun states are caused by several hits in quick succession. Greydwarfs will reel back for a bit after you hit them about 2 times in a row. I think you can also cause the stun state by timing a block to just before the hit lands.

If I understand correctly it's a matter of dealing a certain amount of damage within a certain period of time which triggers the stun. The perfectly timed block will also parry them and cause the same thing.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2021, 09:07:57 am »

Trolls, like I suspect all enemies, have static spawn points, and their respawn timers are not that long. I fought the same troll 5 times in the breadth that it took me to completely quarry a copper node next to his spawn.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2021, 11:59:09 pm »

Mmhm, a successful parry that isn't broken by excess damage will always stun. You can also parry ranged attacks and it will still stun the attacker. Parrying an arrow is evidently so amazing that archers will be struck dumb with awe for a moment, giving you extra time to close in and bash them on the head.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2021, 01:33:49 am »

I've definitely staggered enemies with my first attack before, so I'd assume that staggering with basic attacks is triggered by an amount of damage done within a short time period, not the number of hits.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2021, 02:04:11 am »

Been playing this... quite a lot.

I'm in the highest tier biome that's been developed by the devs so far, and it's very tense.

At this point, it's basically this:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]