Other Projects > Other Games

Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release

(1/59) > >>

Criptfeind:

Oxygen not included, Klei entertainments new game was released into alpha today.

It is a colony management game, inside a massive asteroid a strange gate lights up, depositing 3 duplicants and a box of rations into a chamber that, luckily, has enough oxygen, for now at least. You control the duplicants, setting orders for them to do various tasks as you manage your resources, mining out areas, making food, beds. You'll have to start producing oxygen shortly, as the oxylite rocks will quickly exhaust themselves. You'll also need to find ways to power your machines and gather water for your plants and dupes as you branch dig out and explore the asteroid. The game models both gas and liquid flow, which becomes very important as you have to manage your air, trying to keep it pure of toxins and carbon dioxide and with plenty of oxygen for your dupes to breath.

Right now there's not a huuuge amount to the game, I played for about five and a half hours, and in that time I think I managed to more or less see most of what the game has to offer thus far.  There's some balancing that needs to be done, and obviously a lot of content needs to be added before it's a full game. But despite that it's fun, or at least I had a lot of fun, managing my dupes and exploring the area, setting up ways to get more resources to keep myself going. Currently the game costs 20 bucks, and you have to buy it from their forum, logging on with your steam account. I dunno why they did such a strange thing rather then just letting you buy it from steam, I'd conjuncture to keep it to a relatively small audience as they work on the alpha before they do a full launch into early access (what a strange way to say it... "Full launch into early access." But I guess that's how games work these days.) on the steam store.

Link to post where you can buy it from.

Anyway, I figured since we don't have a thread for this game (afaik?) I'd go ahead and make one, so that if anyone is interested enough to buy into the alpha (like I was) they could find out how to buy it and perhaps we can talk about our experiences or whatever.

I've played one game so far, lasting the whole 5.5 hours I played. During it I found that my whole group more or less was on constant 100% stress, but apparently that didn't matter to them that much, it certainly didn't seem to do much until the end (where I guess it sorta killed me). I ended up dying when I ran out of power. I burned up all my coal and the hydrogen generators were... Fairly useless. I couldn't use the hamster wheels for power since the super stressed dupes would keep breaking them. Eventually I gave up trying to fix the situation and waited for them to all starve to death.

ollobrains:
reserved ( watching with interest)

Sensei:
Heh, the need to dig around to find air to breathe underground seems pulled straight from the Dungeon Keeper-knockoff Lego Rock Raiders. I actually loved that game as a kid so it'd be cool if this captured some of that, with an adult-friendly level of difficulty.

ThtblovesDF:
Ah yeah Lego Raiders - I really liked this ones gameplay vids, too and I've been stalking it ;)

Yolan:
Cool. Purchased and installed. Just because its Klei. I'll share some thoughts later.

EDIT: Klei

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version