Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44891 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2019, 01:03:18 pm »

just starting to dip my feet into this game. any protips? i figured out to not take extra dupes early and get to lavatories because the water out is more than the water in.
Watch temperatures. Only your starting biome is a good temperature for growing (most) crops. The others are too hot, much too hot, or (not normally a problem) too cold. Try not to carry lots of hot things from those biomes into your base, since they'll heat up everything around the storage container / built structure.

Similarly, try not to pierce the abyssalite shield right next to your farms, since the heat will start to bleed through.

Edit: A room is a space surrounded by walls and doors. Some give bonus morale - early ones you should aim for are barracks and mess hall, upgrading to a grand hall ASAP.

Food in CO2 or chlorine won't spoil. Make a room near your mess hall with only an entrance from above, let it fill with CO2, and you'll never have to worry about spoilage again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:18:53 pm by AlStar »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2019, 09:21:13 am »

Well technically there's no abysallite shield for the starting biome, just a thick layer of granite and obsidian. I recommend that until you get insulated walls, don't dig too close to the swamps and especially the caustic biome (use the temperature overlay to see which side of your base is closer to a hotter biome).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2019, 07:23:41 pm »

Since I just about ran out of water, I had to tap into the geyser. I have it running through two thermo aquatuners, but it's not cooling the water at all. Water goes in at 58-60°C, comes out the same. One issue I can think of is power supply. Since I have don't have the resources yet to use Conductive wire, I'm using regular wire despite the fact that even one aquatuner can overload it. At first it was power supply since I used the smaller transformer, which cannot throughput enough power for, again, even one aquatuner. I built a large transformer, and now the aquatuners aren't giving me low-power warnings. Still, the water isn't being cooled.

EDIT: Just noticed that the aquatuners keep pumping into themselves, since the input and output points somehow connected to each other. I wonder if that was the cause.

EDIT2: Yes, that did in fact cause it. Remember, when placing a line of aquatuners or similar machines, do not drag a single line of pipes across them.

EDIT3: Oh crap, I did not realize how fast aquatuners overheat.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:34:03 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2019, 08:59:35 pm »

Immerse the aquatuners in polluted water, then feed that polluted water through a sieve to remove the heat. So long as the polluted water is above 40°C, it'll keep it cool.

Best early game material to build your aquatuners from is gold amalgam, or steel if you have any forged. Boosts up the overheat temperature to the point that the water will likely boil before your machine takes enough damage.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 09, 2019, 02:50:04 pm »

you might want to have a look at https://gameplay.tips/guides/2302-oxygen-not-included.html, search for "Polluted Water Purification and Cooling".

It shows a setup where you cool clean water, while preventing the surrounding (heat absorbing) polluted water from overheating (using a sieve, as suggested above).
You should be able to do the same with carbon skimmers if you have a supply of CO2 (outputs at fixed 40° too)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 09, 2019, 03:10:19 pm »

you might want to have a look at https://gameplay.tips/guides/2302-oxygen-not-included.html, search for "Polluted Water Purification and Cooling".

It shows a setup where you cool clean water, while preventing the surrounding (heat absorbing) polluted water from overheating (using a sieve, as suggested above).
You should be able to do the same with carbon skimmers if you have a supply of CO2 (outputs at fixed 40° too)

Just be careful doing that with your base CO2 output, particularly as you change your power system. It's relatively easy to move toward a generator array with a sequestered CO2 output for slickster farming or something and not notice when you run out of coolant.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2019, 12:00:00 pm »

I have a problem: due to some bad life decisions I´m running out of dirt and I dont have any hatches left except sage hatches. I´ve moved from lice plants to the fungus that needs slime, and that is working OK for the time being (plus morale bonus), but on the other hand... this is a STRICTLY TEMPORARY MEASURE BY DEFINITION.

Any suggestions about how to fix this conundrum? I suppose that, given that I´ve commandeered two cold steam geysers, I SHOULD have spare water for both electrolysis and bristle berries, assuming I run it through my wheezewort cooler.... which will likely require an expansion.... hrm... what to do...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »

Slime is plentiful and somewhat renewable, the Pufts eat polluted oxygen and poop slime. Just have to make sure there's a good pressure for that, this is usually the case as long as there's any polluted water, plus there are some geysers that produce either of those. Or if you only have renewable fresh water, you could just use that for toilets/showers instead of recycling the output with a sieve.

EDIT: If you can reliably produce bristle berries with renewable water at the right temperature, by all means do that.
With a good setup you can turn warm water into both hot and cold (with an aquatuner), and the hot water can just go and feed hot stuff I guess.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:02:46 pm by Sergius »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2019, 02:16:41 pm »

I'm having bigger temp management  issues than I hoped TBH. I'm keeping my main base temperate thanks to the (currently being expanded to adjust for hot geyser water) wheezewort chamber, but the rest of the environment is fairly hot. For normal things its not a big problem, but as soon as I start operating something intensive (eg a steel furnace) or an environmental hazard acts up, I'm having problems.

I've been delaying going for plastics because I was hoping for an oil geyser, but since so far I aint getting lucky I think I'll bumrush a plastic refinery in the ice biome close to the oil biome and make myself some plastic goodies.

I'm... curiously well off as far as power is concerned as I commandeered a natural gas geyser and rigged it as my main energy supplier (I use six gas tanks as storage for off cycles, and an automation battery to control expenses), with coal and hydrogen as backups. This means I was actually producing a decent but not impressive amount ofpolluted water. The problem was thst dumping it in a volcano made a lot of sand but no dirt at all :/
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2019, 02:36:47 pm »

Are you smelting steel inside your base? I put almost all the kinds of refineries and furnaces outside of my "temperate" area, and make dupes with exosuits work with them. Sometimes I'll do it in an ice biome that I want to melt on purpose, but even if I just use a caustic area the environment temp doesn't change much.

I don't use coal for constant energy generation, I save it for industry machines that are outside my main base area, saves me on wiring, and they really don't use much (they don't use any if I'm not using them).

Not a fan of hydrogen power except to run its own electrolyzer setup.

EDIT: Sorry, misunderstood the part about the heat. In a previous map I just plopped a couple wheezeworts where I had my smelter (swamp biome), and the place got super cold over time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2019, 03:01:02 pm »

I did smelting inside my base 100 cycles ago, as part of a plan to cleanse my filtered water of germs (largely slimelung).

Biiig mistake. It made my pipe system explode, and saturated the whole area with steam. Even now that zone is 20° hotter than it should be. It's indirectly related to my current conundrum.

We'll see where this goes. I have decided to fight for this base to the bitter end. If nothing else I'm getting an 101 on more advanced gameplay concepts.

If my base finally goes bust, for the next one:
- I'll largely ignore slimelung in water. Really, slimelung in general is harmless if you play it safe. Small infections  can be routinedly ignored. About the only real dangerous thing is if your supes start idling in polluted oxygen. Otherwise a more or less constant low level infection can be ignored.

-massive heat generation will stay outside the base.
- heavy wire is good but fugly. I'll work harder to keep it outside living areas
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:04:32 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »

Yeah, slimelung's temperature tolerance is outside the water freezing/boiling range, I think.
Only polluted water can be cleaned that way and that's cooling it under 0 degrees, because it only freezes at -10 or lower.
The good news is, you can just pipe water into a reservoir that is in chlorine gas and it kills all the germs, unless they've patched that out.

Slimelung however should rarely be in water unless you have actually turned slime or algae into water/polluted water. It doesn't even transfer from solids submerged in it. I don't remember the last colony I had where that happened.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:10 pm »

The good news is, you can just pipe water into a reservoir that is in chlorine gas and it kills all the germs, unless they've patched that out.
How long does it need to be in the reservoir, though? I'm preparing for the inevitable contamination by food poisoning.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:09 pm »

- heavy wire is good but fugly. I'll work harder to keep it outside living areas
Yea I reserve a side of the base for the heavy wire, transformers and other ugly stuff, that way my power cable is already halfway up to space once I get to the stage where I can build solar panels, all of the transformers being in a straight line makes cooling them fairly easy too

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:32 pm »

How long does it need to be in the reservoir, though? I'm preparing for the inevitable contamination by food poisoning.

It's something like -5000 germs per second. Half-life of the germs inside is something like 11 seconds.

EDIT: You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/eILtbLDUJe0?t=288
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:46:23 pm by Sergius »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20