Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44857 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2019, 11:39:12 pm »

The good news is, you can just pipe water into a reservoir that is in chlorine gas and it kills all the germs, unless they've patched that out.
How long does it need to be in the reservoir, though? I'm preparing for the inevitable contamination by food poisoning.

It's something like -5000 germs per second. Half-life of the germs inside is something like 11 seconds.

EDIT: You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/eILtbLDUJe0?t=288

Wait. Putting a gas tank of germy oxygen in a room of chlorine kills the germs that are inside the tank? The germs that should be entirely sealed in a pressurized container and not at all exposed to the chlorine?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2019, 05:59:39 am »

Yeah, slimelung's temperature tolerance is outside the water freezing/boiling range, I think.
Only polluted water can be cleaned that way and that's cooling it under 0 degrees, because it only freezes at -10 or lower.
The good news is, you can just pipe water into a reservoir that is in chlorine gas and it kills all the germs, unless they've patched that out.

Slimelung however should rarely be in water unless you have actually turned slime or algae into water/polluted water. It doesn't even transfer from solids submerged in it. I don't remember the last colony I had where that happened.
I dont think the chlorine trick works anymore :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2019, 11:23:59 am »

Yeah, slimelung's temperature tolerance is outside the water freezing/boiling range, I think.
Only polluted water can be cleaned that way and that's cooling it under 0 degrees, because it only freezes at -10 or lower.

Slimelung however should rarely be in water unless you have actually turned slime or algae into water/polluted water. It doesn't even transfer from solids submerged in it. I don't remember the last colony I had where that happened.
I dont think the chlorine trick works anymore :(
It works for food boxes, at least.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2019, 11:37:16 am »

Yes but not for free water thars what I mean
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2019, 04:19:36 pm »

Are you putting in an actual reservoir base structure(listed under the "Base" category), or are you doing what I did and digging out a cistern and pumping the fluids into the open in that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2019, 04:43:41 pm »

Dug out cistern.

I dont think chlorine works there anymore. I see no "chlorine death" debuff on the germs either

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2019, 09:01:33 pm »

What, like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: This is the liquid reservoir, full of infected water and inside a sparse chlorine atmosphere:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 09:09:36 pm by Sergius »

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2019, 09:34:56 pm »

How long does it need to be in the reservoir, though? I'm preparing for the inevitable contamination by food poisoning.

It's something like -5000 germs per second. Half-life of the germs inside is something like 11 seconds.

EDIT: You can see it in action here: https://youtu.be/eILtbLDUJe0?t=288

Wait. Putting a gas tank of germy oxygen in a room of chlorine kills the germs that are inside the tank? The germs that should be entirely sealed in a pressurized container and not at all exposed to the chlorine?

And to answer my own question... yes, yes it does, in the current version (Q1-302293). At least for water storage. This is going to be a much easier solution than cooking it.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 03, 2019, 10:50:10 am »

QoL 2 upgrade is going to make you able to print other stuff randomly instead of just dupes. Like, 2000kg of water, 500kg of dirt, or even a briar seed or shine brin nymph...

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:34 am »

Wonderful, like I don't obsessively reload enough already looking for the perfect dupe. Now I've got more noise in the RNG competing for the right traits.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 04, 2019, 02:14:14 pm »

Well, you get 4 choices on the printer now, and most of the time only 1 is going to be a mat.

Also means that instead of ignoring the printer once you got the amount of dupes you want, you can just pick whatever resource and let it recharge again.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:52 pm »

A duplicant every 3 days is too many mouths for me anyway, so I just reroll till I get what I want.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 05, 2019, 03:37:40 am »

Yeah, I spent ages just leaving the printer running for no reason.
Much more handy to use it for scarcities.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 05, 2019, 08:25:35 am »

I had the printer give me the option for very cold (< -40°C) ice, 4 tons of it, so I picked it every time. I now may or may not have a smaaaall flooding problem near my water tank now but hey, free water and cold.
EDIT: thinking about it, maybe the printer should require a bit of electricity, seems fairly op to me now...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:11:55 am by EvilTwin »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 13, 2019, 07:13:15 pm »

Making steam for the, thing that you need steam for later in the game, is a pretty giant pain in the ass.  Most ways of making steam produce steam jusssstttt over 100 C, so if you try to pipe it long distances you get broken vents and some water.  I probably should have just made 300 degree steam at the bottom of the map and carried it up in canisters, but I found a way that didn't require that (and used the water that just happened to be near the site).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ignore the overly complicated crap everywhere, a lot of that is failed attempts that weren't fully cleaned up.  The important thing is the two chambers with different heating methods.  That's all I'd replicate if I had to do this again.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20