Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44449 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:09 pm »

Instead of sticking your heat generator in the water itself, have you considered having a separate heating medium underneath the water reservoir and using metal tiles for heat transfer?

For example, a steel thermo aquatuner in crude oil, with an automation wire set to keep it between 300°C and 325°C, with gold amalgam or diamond window tiles to transfer heat?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2019, 12:45:17 pm »

No I hadn't, that is a good solution.  It trades setup costs (piping two types of liquid, 1.2k steel) for electricity (-720 Kw since you wouldn't need the tepidizer and you could use an existing pump).  Personally I'm rushing the structures that will use something other than steam.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2019, 04:53:05 am »

What I had when I was using steam rocket is an aquatuner immerged in oil, keeping it a bit above 100° and then when i needed steam, I let a pipe drop a bit of water on top of the oil.
not sure why you'd need different "rooms" ?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2019, 01:07:12 pm »

One room tepidizes and pumps the water, the other room has an aquatuner in it and is sealed.  Aquatuner can't heat water on its own, tepidizer can't heat past 85 on its own.  The advantage is that the system requires only a single conductive wire as input.  As I dug out the silo for the rocket, the existing water in the area naturally fell into a pit at the bottom and then I built the rocket above the pit.  The existing water gave me more than enough rocket launches to get research for an non-steam engine.

Does something bad happen if you don't use crude oil here?  Seems like a lot of effort.  Especially if you're keeping it stable at 100 degrees, might as well just use polluted water at that point, set your thermo sensor to 100 when you don't want steam and 115 when you do.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2019, 06:08:37 am »

It's mostly about getting more bang for your buck using 300°C crude oil compared to 100°C polluted water. With a polluted water reservoir, you're working between a 100°C to 118.9°C range of temperatures, and it has a lower thermal conductivity than crude oil, meaning it's a slower heat transfer rate out of the crude oil, into the thermal transfer medium, and then into the water.

The upside with polluted water is that it's got great specific heat capacity, so it somewhat buffers against rapid temperature changes.

Finndibaenn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2019, 11:20:02 am »

I'm not sure why the aquatuner can't heat the water on its own ?

Oil rather than water/polluted water is more tolerant to temp changes as mentioned by Jimmy, and you don't need that much, I think my setup was about about 4*2 or so of oil, with 1 tile free for dripping water

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2019, 09:02:11 pm »

But the thermal conductivity of crude oil doesn't matter.  Temperature exchange is dictated by the lowest thermal conductivity of the materials involved.  Water exchanges heat with crude oil, an aquatuner, or metal tiles all at the same rate.  The only reason to use crude oil is to prevent the aquatuner itself from overheating.  But one of you is only using 100 degree oil and the other is using a steel aquatuner, so neither of you is getting any benefit.  All you've done is buffer heat transfer in a system designed to transfer heat.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 18, 2019, 01:33:20 am »

The real question is: Can you get petroleum hot enough to melt crude oil?
The answer- it’ll need a lot of steel.

In other news, 150+ cycles on my last map, got up to 100 on this one and I just found out you can make a hydrogen loop...

Meanwhile I just had to push to steam before my coal ran out.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:07:01 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 18, 2019, 10:30:45 am »

Steel can't vaporize rocket fuel beams.

Yeah steam is rarely the easiest solution to power problems.  In the short term have you considered going back to manual generators?  If you set a duplicant to only tinker it can be a great way to train athletics.  That's how I train up my anemic duplicants.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 18, 2019, 11:35:03 am »

Speaking of power, how do you all set up your power grids? Everything on a single grid regulated by transformers? Or separate ones?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 18, 2019, 12:26:46 pm »

I build a powerplant outside my base, with everything on one heavywatt wire.  From transformers in the power plant standard or conductive wires come out towards my base and that's how I power everything.  I used to put the heavywatt wire + transformers in a utility tunnel that ran alongside the base but personally I've found that consumes too much time and space.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2019, 08:30:43 am »

I don’t usually switch to conductive wire until way in the late game so I try to divvy my grids up to various 1kW draws. Hydrogen production is usually heavy-watted in to the base.

Also how are you people making superhot tepedisers? Mine hits 85 and is done
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:42:09 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 28, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »

So I just cracked open my first AETN and I want to make sure I've got this sorted out properly before I undertake a construction project with it...

To use it as an all-purpose cooler, the end result should have the AETN in a fairly small insulated box filled with pure hydrogen gas and packed with tempshift plates. Pack the room with radiant gas pipes filled with hydrogen (though piping an SPOM's product through it isn't a terrible idea either?), and route that wherever needed. And if I get it really cold, I can use it to solidify a bunch of other gasses for... reasons I haven't figured out yet.

Alternatively, how well does using a large tempshifted room and turning it into a refrigerator to use as a sleet wheat farm, while also bleeding gas out to use as general base coolant work out?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2019, 12:44:50 am »

Sleet wheat only grows down to -55 degrees, so if you have them inside the same room as the AETN then you'd need to stop it from getting all the way down to -175.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2019, 12:10:04 pm »

I've heard that using the shipping lanes with some conductive crap on them is also good for temp transfer.

Also liquid pipes are probably better at transferring heat than gases. Something like oil or petroleum that won't change state easily.

At least, I think so.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20