Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release  (Read 44452 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Not Included: Alpha Release
« Reply #255 on: March 04, 2019, 09:37:57 am »

Oil doesn't like changing temperature as easily though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:05 am »

Oil doesn't like changing temperature as easily though.

It's conductivity is like 15 times higher than hydrogen, and changes temperature twice as fast, per gram. Remember that one tile of liquid pipe holds 10 times as many grams than one with gas.

Temperature only matters when comparing two things touching each other (heat travels from the higher temp to the lower one), and with wierd things like WheezeWort that make absolute changes in temperature rather than heat.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 04, 2019, 12:53:56 pm »

I don’t usually switch to conductive wire until way in the late game so I try to divvy my grids up to various 1kW draws. Hydrogen production is usually heavy-watted in to the base.

Also how are you people making superhot tepedisers? Mine hits 85 and is done
You can't, we're using thermo aquatuners which (despite being a cooling device) can heat their environment up to 2 times what a tepidizer can do.  Or 4 times if you use steel.

Re: AETN, you've got 3 options to pipe: hydrogen, polluted water, and crude oil.  Hydrogen should carry like 8-9x less heat than the other two but will be easier to set up.  Polluted water is easy to get and perfect for this except for the part where it freezes at -15 C, so you'd have to be careful.  Crude oil perfect for this, if you have some to spare.

In regards to freezing weird gasses... frozen chlorine has a comically low thermal conductivity and could be placed inside walls as insulation?  You're pretty much showing off at that point tho, there's much easier ways to do that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2019, 01:12:21 pm »

Are we still discussing making steam for rockets? easiest solution for that is to just make a small room in the regolith/mafic rock, put drywall in the background, a pump and a way to put water in the room (I just used a bottle emptier). The regolith is hot enough to produce a LOT of steam, easily enough to get the next rocket engine.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2019, 04:21:05 pm »

Necroing the say that the game has left Early Access. It's also 33% off for the next week or so.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 31, 2019, 07:20:30 am »

finally decided to try it out. i don't know how klei makes any money with these releases. the price is beyond reasonable for the game, which after 2-3 hours, seems very fun. it's probably the best of any df-inspired game i've played.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2019, 08:17:41 am »

they make their money by selling a whole bucket load of copies and like don't starve there will be follow up content rich DLCs

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2019, 10:00:09 am »

they make their money by selling a whole bucket load of copies and like don't starve there will be follow up content rich DLCs
They probably also don't have massive expenditures with marketing or licensing top-of-the-line tech, and, of course, they don't need to please the ever-hungry Investors.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2019, 09:39:48 pm »

I am slightly surprised this game isn't hot topic on the dwarf forums.
So many great mechanics to explore and optimize!
10/10 would overheat and starve my asteroid base again anytime!
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2019, 02:22:39 am »

It's a great game! I'm up to 256 hours, according to Steam.

I just recently joined the elite .10% of Steam players who have bothered to grab a gassy moo from a planet and tame it, then shortly thereafter, on cycle 783, joined the slightly less elite .20% of players who traveled all the way to the temporal tear. Badlands map, with (if I remember correctly - I can't see anywhere that tells me what the initial seed gave) large glaciers, geoactive, and frozen core (which was useless, since I already had more ice then I could ever use due to the glaciers, and actually could have really used an effectively unlimited source of geothermal power).

I've now started a new game on an Aridio asteroid, with the goal of picking up my remaining outstanding achievements - most notably Super Sustainable (currently at a meager 1,837 kj / 240,000 kj), Locavore (192,174 / 400,000), Carnivore (which I'm almost certainly not going to get - cycle 50 and only at 37,600 / 400,000), and Home Sweet Home... should I not starve to death first - it's looking a little grim, I may need to start culling even young, non-cramped ranched critters, as it's at least 2 degrees too hot for most food plants to grow, even in my starting biome.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2019, 09:22:51 am »

finally decided to try it out. i don't know how klei makes any money with these releases.

Yeah, Klei has games with a very simple "do this to win" cycle you need to perform, and then finds ways of preventing you from doing that (monster attacks/time constraints in don't starve, the RNG refusing to give you enough people/equipment in Invisible Inc). Their games are very interesting up until the point where you figure out the one thing you need to do, and how to do it.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »

After two years on and off, multiple binges, hundreds of cycles, and dozens of hours dedicated to this project, I have finally achieved a longstanding goal of mine that's distressingly modest:

Actually get an expletive SPOM working properly in a live game... and, for extra points, it's one of my own design, based on working out what hasn't been working for me in other people's designs. It doesn't have built-in cooling, but I'm usually playing on Rime, so extra heating's actually a plus.

Now to either launch a rocket or do something useful with magma; not sure which one to aim for first. I suspect magma, in true dorfy fashion. (♫Never seen the blue moon glow...♫)

Edit: ...Yep. Time to wrap up this binge.
Attempt 1: I had to dig downwards seven hundred blocks for the nearest source of oil. I also didn't get Slicksters until like cycle 80, so I couldn't get oil from them. Death due to starvation from running out of resources before getting to expand outwards with my barely completed exosuits.
Attempt 2: On Oceania... I'm cooking myself to death. (...My uncooled SPOM isn't helping.) Left: Natural Gas Geyser and Polluted Water Geyser. Right: Cool Steam Vent. Down: Salt geyser and oil biome. Right under me, with gaps in the abyssalite. Up: WTF is this biome-sized block of 2500F abyssalite? (Turns out there was... a bubble of 3000F steam surrounding an office building in the middle. Nothing else of note.) The nearest ice biome was three biomes away, and I pretty much had to cut right through at least one geyser's heat bubble to get there. Thankfully, it had an AETN in there so I could get that spun up, but now I have to drag coolant how far? Maybe I should just relocate my SPOM there and pump the cooler desalinated salt water instead of the steam vent water...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:37:21 am by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2020, 02:17:10 pm »

They announced some time ago they were working on a DLC for the game, and recently they've announced some more information about it which you can read here.

TL;DR version: A new biome (probably a "radiation biome" of some sort), radiation being integrated into the game, better/easier rockets, and... multiple colonies. Space destinations are being changed from "send rocket, collect materials offscreen" to "send rocket, build colony at destination" And of course a bunch of little things like new traits, new buildings, etc.

Because of COVID they'd had to delay things a bit but they hope to have it out by the end of the year sometime, though they won't commit to anything more specific than that.

Personally I'm really excited. I'm kind of sad they are selling the real endgame as a DLC (current endgame is so obviously placeholder), but I've already got more than my money's worth from the base game so I don't mind very much and it will probably be a day 1 purchase for me.

Maybe it's hoping for too much, but one thing I really hope they do work on is making different asteroid types feel different from each other. Given that you start in a "safe" biome every time due to the game's design, even though the asteroid types are quite different they all feel very similar in practice. I just did a volcanea game and all I had to do was wall in the starting biome with insulated tile (easy to do early on) and the map was already "solved". I just built up inside my safe bubble, built some exosuits, then played the map like normal. Even a single layer of volcanic rock insulated tile was plenty to keep the heat out for hundreds, maybe thousands of cycles and exosuits are as overpowered as ever. "harder" maps like arborea and oassea don't even require insulated tile, they don't get hot enough to scald your dupes so the temperature can be ignored.

One idea I had is maybe the different asteroids could influence geysers. For example oceana could have zero freshwater or steam geysers, they would all be replaced with saltwater geysers. Volcanea could have only magma and *hot* (400F+) steam geysers, maybe arborea could have extra natural gas but no oil geysers or something to enforce working with ethanol.... rime could only have cryovolcanoes spitting out freezing co2 and such, and maybe a single cold slush geyser spitting near-freezing water, etc.

The current geyser generation system means you have basically infinite of every resource on every map which is kind of generically boring, and makes the idea of setting up multiple colonies to get new resources seem kind of superfluous.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 19, 2020, 03:39:49 pm »

I think the challenge is more how you structure your base, etc. I don't see survival really that hard either.  Mostly I get to to the point where I do something dumb or get annoyed at how I structured my base.  Generally I will forget what I had buried in walls, deconstruct the wall and the pipes/wires behind it, then things start to collapse because my toilets no longer function.

About the only unusual thing I've done so far is realize you can connect conductive wire to TWO small transformers and get all 2kW on the circuit without waste.  The transformers don't overload if the circuit is more than 1kW; that 1kW is just how much each can ADD to the circuit.

Yeah I know the large transformer can output 4kW for fewer resources and less space, but that would overload conductive wire so seems like an odd sizing choice.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2020, 04:21:02 pm »

Reviving this because why not. I just bought this game and am already itching for some crazy difficult map starts. As it is now, I feel like I could handle any asteroid because of the generous temperate biome that every asteroid seems to start. I want crazy starts that require crazy innovation. Maybe neutronium veins everywhere blocking my super efficient square rooms, and misshapen biomes that aren't so predictable. And maybe some chaotic random events.

I don't suppose there are mods for these things?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 04:29:55 pm by Micro102 »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20