Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarfs - A Solution  (Read 1231 times)

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
Marksdwarfs - A Solution
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:18:21 pm »

Ok, so I can say for certain that - after science-ing the shit out of the marksdwrf mechanics - that if you have an archery range, you CANNOT have it overlap another barracks unless it is another archery zone! Otherwise, you will have strange problems, especially if you have some archery targets defined outside of the barracks and some overlapping other barracks.

Also, if you are working on the wiki, you may want to add this info to the wonderful wiki article on this. Excuse me if it is already contained somewhere in there!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:21:14 pm by atari911 »
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

slashnul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarfs - A Solution
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 02:53:28 am »

Ive noticed a problem with overlapping zones too.  Its a sloppy design technique so I dont mind working around it.  In my case I had a barracks overlapping a temple.  I like the idea of warrior monks but Ill implement it differently.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:21:40 am »

The wiki is a wiki - you can add the info yourself!

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 03:44:11 pm »

Yea, I think that its strange and confusing that overlapping archery ranges works just fine (from what i can tell and according to the wiki) but overlapping others is a problem.

As for the wiki, that article is well done and obviously someone put a lot of work into it. I just wanted to run this by the forum before I edit such a well written/researched article. I may just go ahead and add the info as long as others seem to come to the same conclusion.

As a side note, Ive also found some interesting issues when having humans in the crosbow squad. They seem to only train when i make the squad inactive, but im not 100% sure about this. It just seems that if i put the squad on inactive then all of a sudden the humans want to start training. From what i can gather this possibly seems to be tied to uniforms. The human uniforms are different than the dwarves ones obviously so it seems that setting 'exact matches' with humans in the group may cause issues as well.

Im just really trying to get the marksdwarves squad down because a) its really great to have marksdwarves firing from towers as cover fire during a siege; b) it seems to be a buggy part of an already buggy military system so there is lots to learn!

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:08:51 pm »

There is an outstanding bug where if you have bowmen (bows and arrows) in the same squad as crossbowdwarfs (crossbows and bolts), the ammo gets mixed up and you run into problems.  Since you specified human, it might be related to your problem.

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 09:48:23 pm »

Ah yes that is most likely the issue then. when one was training it seemed like all the dwrfs would stop and also the reverse. I guess I will have to keep them in segregated squads.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 03:09:50 am »

You just can't get a password reset, apparently.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 03:23:47 am »

You just can't get a password reset, apparently.
Sure you can. There's instructions on the password reset page.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?