Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can a dwarf-powered screw pump transfer power to a mill?  (Read 2537 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Can a dwarf-powered screw pump transfer power to a mill?
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:54:45 pm »

I am too lazy to create an aquifer sourced millstone. Can I instead use a dwarf-powered pump to drive a mill?
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Can a dwarf-powered screw pump transfer power to a mill?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:11 pm »

Nah, dwarves pumping manually won't give power elsewhere.

Aquifer flow is more useful for large-scale power anyway; if you want just a bit of power without windmills, less than classical DWR, consider tossing a minecart on track stop into 2x1 hole, ponding water in and laying waterwheel on top.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 03:04:11 am »

Can you explain that, Fleeting Frames?
Do you say a non dumping track stop with a mine cart on it in a 3*1 (to fit a water wheel into it) slit would induce flow in the water?
A Portable Drain (i.e. the track stop set to dumping) in the slit would remove the water above a depth of 5, but might induce flow, and I think that depth is sufficient to power a water wheel, so that might be what you're referring to (in which case you'd stop filling up the pond zone once the depth reaches 5 + 1 bucket, as everything added thereafter would just be drained).

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:26:24 am »

Of course you can use a pump to generate power, but you need a waterwheel as well. (Though at some point you may just make a quern instead.)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:47:07 pm »

Can you explain that, Fleeting Frames?
Do you say a non dumping track stop with a mine cart on it .... would induce flow in the water?
What PatrikLundell said. Really? If scaleable to larger trench sizes, that would make it a portable aquifer trench, and significantly more flexible (and cheaty) than a Dwarven Water Reactor.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:07 pm »

Not 3x1, water wheel needs only 1 flowing tile to work. You can fit 2 waterwheels over 2x1, ex. see here.

For water movement you set the track stop to dump - towards the ramp, so it acts as normal and doesn't erase the water like in portable drain.

I've mentioned it here and there since last summer, so kinda surprised you haven't noticed before given how active you are.

PS: Though yeah it does sometimes still keep generating power even when track stop is turned off, i.e. not dumping anymore. Had that happen in Moonhome, for instance. Also, mind that the power generation can briefly fail occasionally - the standard operating state is 4 in 1 tile and 7 in another, and water movement is random - the 7/7 can take over 100 steps or whatever waterwheel uses to mix into 4/4 about, I unno, once every few weeks? Never really had an application that requires "always on" uptime, though, in which case I'd try to turn off the trackstop and see if it still keeps generating (and if not, establish a permaflow somewhere.)

Also, like most things minecarts, it'd would have probably taken you less time to test one :P (Gotta love minecarts)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:46:43 pm by Fleeting Frames »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 03:03:32 am »

Thanks for the explanation.

I tend to just skim the detailed mine cart discussions as I'm not particularly interested in precise control, and I guess powering them has been buried in those sections (not intended as criticism: detailed descriptions are great when you need it explained).

You can induce flow in aquifers, without any actual water movement after the flow has been induced, and I suspect it might be (just guessing here) possible to do so with a track stop as well (in which case I guess you'd use a lever to disable track stop dumping) once flow is induced. However, you'd probably need to rotate the water wheels in that case, as induced flow is directional, and perpendicular flow doesn't provide any power.

I agree it wouldn't take long to test it, provided I was playing, but I'm curing DF fatigue by just foruming until the next release is out.
"Also, like most things minecarts, it'd would have probably taken you less time to test one :P (Gotta love minecarts)"; Well, I've used rollers rather than impulse ramps to push mine carts back up from the magma sea workshops once just for the hell of it, but that took a fair bit of time to set up (like pump stacks, vertical axles are a pain to build since you have to micro manage each build step, so you can only have two in production at a time [building from the top and from the bottom], provided you're not after ultra efficiency).

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 05:49:15 am »

's alright. Can't say there isn't some similarity.

Heh, I guess rollerstack would lose to pumpstack. I generally avoid rollers, myself.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 03:30:47 pm »

No, but you CAN install a quern instead for a directly dwarf-powered mill.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 07:01:55 pm »

I know about querns, but they seem to mill much slower than powered mills.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:02:41 am »

I know about querns, but they seem to mill much slower than powered mills.

They do. But you can install more querns if you don't want to install a waterwheel.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.