Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Golems: How to?  (Read 1702 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Golems: How to?
« on: February 17, 2017, 12:10:46 pm »

So, I've finally got the Volcanic Golem Foundry and the raw materials for a golem, but upon completing the job, either the golem doesn't appear, or it appear at the 0, 0, 0 location as a friendly (but not as part of the fort), but nonetheless stuck below hell.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to change something for it to work?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:45:54 am by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

flutterwrath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Golems: How to?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 03:52:56 pm »

A bit late, but I needed an answer to this too. I found I just had to use the tweak makeown command on the golem. A bit annoying, but it worked.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:30:51 pm »

What version are you using? I had much success with golems in the version of masterwork that shipped with 43.03, and I haven't played since Masterwork upgraded to 43.05, which uses 64bit DF, and thus has to use the experimental version of DFHack. If you are both using the latest version then I am guessing this issue is caused by a bug in DFHack or the scripts it uses to create golems.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 06:46:33 am »

actually what hes describing is a create-unit.lua error that cropped up around 1.19 to 1.21 its fixed in the 1.24b x64 version, as far as it can be.

In the original problem, units joining civ was broken in an error in how the parsing of the command line in dfhack had changed.  the error of it sticking at 0 0 0 is more insidious.  if you dfhack "reveal hell" the tile the golem appeared at has no data... its a non existent map tile because its below hell.  I created a work around to that issue, by modifying dfhack teleport.lua... which will move the unit, with 1 problem.

if the tile its creating units at is a non existent map tile (about  50/50 thing... at worse.  I think its more like 1 in 20 embarks), and therefore the workaround is used, then the workaround can cause a crash to desktop at about 1 in 3 times create-unit is called.  in other words, it isn't perfect.  but its better than the complete fail of the previous version, and it works perfectly if the tile exists.

the other issue felius was having is that units that appear at a non-existent tile, is it not appearing, it actually did appear... but do to the tile not having any mapdata it self deletes ~30% of the time after creation (which is tied to why the new script is crashing 30% of the time).  The unit is marked for deletion rather rapidly if it lands on a non existent map tile (not an open space, one that doesn't have any tile, on any level beneath it).

I've looked into a couple of other workarounds.... but its just beyond my capacity for scripting.  Anyways upgrade to 1.24b if you want it to work the way its suppose to.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal