Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for an ASCII tiling art program thingy  (Read 2362 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Looking for an ASCII tiling art program thingy
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:33:33 pm »

So I've put together some decent-ish roguelike maps using ASCII, like so:

But as the spoiler says, it only looks decent-ish in the forum default theme.  And even then it's full of line breaks.  No, a "code" wrapper won't work: there's color.

So, 1:  I guess I can't do ASCII art on these forums.  Not if I want color and everything.  Right?

And, 2:  If I have to make actual image files, does anyone know a program I can use to make them more easily?  (Preferably for free . . . )

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an ASCII tiling art program thingy
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:45:23 pm »

That is . . . stunningly well-featured.  It even handles .csv files.

Or it says it exports them at least.  It says it imports .txt: so can I just copy and paste my existing ASCII into a .txt and go from there?

Likewise, it exports BBCode: so can I literally feed it my above spoiler with BBCode and all?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 05:08:52 pm »

I want to say 'yes', but I am honestly not 100% sure, I always just exported to PNG (never really importing anything) and that worked fine. Maybe because those extra import/export options weren't a thing at the time I used it (that was years ago), or I just can't remember.

Either way I can't really test it now because I'm on Linux, even if it allegedly runs fine through Wine.
Laziness Executive dysfunction is a slow and insidious killer.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:02:39 pm »

Either way, thank you!  I'll dive into this and see what works.

Of course, then I have to figure out where to host the .png results.  Hmm.  People have a lot of opinions on that . . .

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »

That turned out well.  Thank you!  If you want to see the results, I've started a game over here.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:40:03 pm »

Ooh, nice. I especially like this one,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
which is now in the gallery :)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »

Well!  I hadn't thought of any of these images going into a gallery.  That's interesting.

I've also been working on some other complicated graphics like that one; just haven't had occasion to post them yet.

A thought occurs to me: the "workshop" 3x3 patterns were all taken from Dwarf Fortress, which of course I'm using because I'm on the Dwarf Fortress website.  That shouldn't be a problem in using the image on another site, right?

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 07:23:54 pm »

Well!  I hadn't thought of any of these images going into a gallery.  That's interesting.
Looks like a cool map to me, and those faded edges really made it look better--haven't seen that effect before :)

A thought occurs to me: the "workshop" 3x3 patterns were all taken from Dwarf Fortress, which of course I'm using because I'm on the Dwarf Fortress website.  That shouldn't be a problem in using the image on another site, right?
Certainly not! I mean, even fan art for an existing game would be fine, and that would include even more inspirations/material from the source.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 08:45:50 am »

While I have you here: is there any way to drag or "nudge" the contents of a layer?  That is, not drag the canvas view but the art content.  Cut-and-paste is slow, which is why Photoshop (et al.) gives us the nudge command.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 08:52:57 am »

Yep, was added about a year ago. From the changelog:
Image shifting with wrapping (Ctrl-Arrow/Numpad or Ctrl-Shift-Arrow/Numpad for single layer)
So it'll even automate the wrapping process if you need to draw a continuous scene of some sort, e.g.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The 20-page manual describes a ton of features that are not found in the simple help/info page within REXPaint itself. But to get the general idea just check out the long list of keyboard commands at the end of it :)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 09:04:44 am »

Thank you!

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 09:09:13 am »

No problem, let me know if you need any other features! I'm too busy to work on major features right now (though I do have a long list of stuff I want to eventually add...), but I do occasionally add requests if they're really easy. The RP forums have links to patches that add little user-requested features which have been requested since the last release. They'll become a part of 1.04.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »

No problem, let me know if you need any other features!

Well, you asked, and you also liked the "fade effect" on that image, so . . .

I don't know what the existing term for such a thing is in Photoshop, but is there a feature for hovering a "blob of color-ness" on a higher layer, applying its color to everything visible on the lower layer?  That would be the proper way to do a fade effect if possible.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 08:08:49 pm »

Haha, you and I are definitely on the same page. In recent months I, too, have wanted to be able to this a number of times :P

While it's already possible to make similar changes via image-wide color swaps, area-specific adjustments are beyond the scope of what it was designed to do. REXPaint was originally built as a purely cell-focused editor, hence the UI's significant divergence from your average raster graphics software. Adding such a feature would require a new tool or (more likely) a whole set of new tools or even a new mode...

So yeah I'm definitely thinking about this, and it's a possible part of the future UI expansion I want to get to, though not in the near term. Thanks for bringing it up :)
Pages: [1] 2