Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218632 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest
« on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:00 pm »

The metal scaffold descends into the pit with you on it, lowered by pulley at uncomfortable speed.  As you clear the lip of stone, you see the walls recede sharply into the distance.  They must be lowering you from the roof of a gigantic sinkhole.  The lanterns cannot illuminate a thing and soon even the light from above is nothing but a diffuse blur.

Your mind swimming, you take stock of the situation.  You have a mining pick to do work, supplies to sustain you, and companions to keep you safe.  Surely you can handle it.

Too bad you're not a miner, you have no idea what's down here, and they're never letting you out again anyway . . .

So I made a roguelike RTD/RPG hybrid.  Wanna play?

Check out my awesome randomly-generated ASCII maps (with thanks to) (and to):

I may have edited the tiles a little.

Anyway.  Your homeland has, ostensibly, given the four of you all the tools you need to live a long and healthy exile away in this dark mine where they never have to look at you again.  Who are you?

Name: (Whatever it is, you're human.  This "magical" adventure could perhaps be called "low-magic.")
Icon color: (It doesn't have to be one I used above.  It just has to be distinguishable from everyone you see active in the graphic below.)
What you did before coming down here: (Standard medieval/fantasy stuff.  Except you can't say "I was a miner" or anything blatantly game-breaking like "I was the greatest magician who ever lived")

I balanced things around a traditional D&D party of four, but anyone else interested is welcome to be voices in the head of the first four sign-ups.  Or join play later after they die.  Whichever.

And this is how you will die play:

Spoiler: Rolls and rules (click to show/hide)

Character sheets and inventory:

Spoiler: Dustan (Dustan Hache) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: John (ziizo) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwain (Starver) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gary (Coolrune206) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lockboxes (click to show/hide)

Lost:

This waitlist will . . . wait . . . until enough players die that four new people can arrive at once:

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 06:42:41 pm by Sir Knight »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:48 pm »

The Story So Far (new readers look here):

Update archive:

ASCII mine-diving adventure progress:

Current events:

Carvings found:

Known equipment (players look here for your shopping needs):

Spoiler: Equipment key (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armor and weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Foreign/unusual (click to show/hide)

Minerals:

Bestiary:

Spoiler: Bestiary key (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bug bat bird (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scaled turkey (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ant lemming (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ant lion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Standing jellyfish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wall tiger (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rock hydra (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ugly mug (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hoarding wastrel (click to show/hide)

Known maps:

Spoiler: Rock Bottom (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Halfway House (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hoarding Wastrel Camp (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 05:37:54 pm by Sir Knight »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:59:52 pm »

Very nice.
Aside from the fact that it's not in the RTD subforum.

You can find the move thread button near the bottom of the page. Left or right, I'm not sure.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 02:06:42 pm »

Very nice.
Aside from the fact that it's not in the RTD subforum.

You can find the move thread button near the bottom of the page. Left or right, I'm not sure.

I have located and pressed this button.  I think it's set now . . .

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 05:26:12 pm »

Name: Dustan Hache (I love having my forum name be decent for RP too.)
Icon color: Red!
What you did before coming down here: I was a doctor, and one of the few halfway competent surgeons in my hometown.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 05:53:15 pm »

Name: Frank
Icon color: Hot Pink
What you did before coming down here: I was a minor. (Haha!) Mining was the first job I picked up after being kicked out of home.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »

What you did before coming down here: I was a minor. (Haha!) Mining was the first job I picked up after being kicked out of home.
He said no mining jobs. That means either this is your first job (and you never had one prior to now)
Or you need to rewrite it.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:03:47 pm »

He said no mining jobs. That means either this is your first job (and you never had one prior to now)
Or you need to rewrite it.
The first was my intention. I am stating that THIS mining job is the first I have picked up.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »

Sounds good so far.  A slacker who is now gainfully employed by being thrown out of society.  The team is forming up nicely.

(You can tell both "snark" and "approval" when they happen at the same time, right?)

Welcome also to Dustan!

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 06:45:44 pm »

Name: John
Icon color: Green
What you did before coming down here: Chicken Thief. Forced into the mine for his crimes.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 07:06:11 pm »

Name: Lazlowe
Icon Color: Poised Purple!
What you did before coming down here: Victim of a Con Artist/Loan Shark. He just wanted his pet grooming business to be successful

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 07:35:14 pm »

-- Next

Hello, hello, ziizo, Shadowclaw777.  And Shadowclaw: are you saying YOU (Lazlowe) were the pet groomer?

So that's a team!  Like I said, I'm open to anyone else interested, it's just that I'm sending four down at once.  And a game note: I put a map in the original post, but that's just for demo and you're not actually on the ground yet.  Here we go . . .

Day 1, Morning

The descent continues.  At least you have fire: each of you carries a lantern, all lit right now.  There's also a wheelbarrow made of wood and iron in the scaffold with you: are you really supposed to mine down here?

The next moments come in rapid succession.

Someone gasps.  You glimpse a light far off, below and in the distance.  It's not firelight.  It's purple or magenta or something.  But it illuminates what looks like a low village of buildings and moving people.

Then the lantern light reflects off of stone beneath you.  Even so it fails to illuminate a large black patch.  It would seem you are going to be lowered down yet another pit in the bottom of the sinkhole, away from the village.

You see movement nearby.  A woman is running along the sinkhole floor toward the ledge you are about to pass.  She takes a pack off her back and shouts.

"Oi!  Those mining picks are no good if you want to get to civilization anytime soon!  Throw me a pack of your surface goods and I'll throw you the real stuff!"

Well, each of you is carrying a backpack.  Don't know what's in them . . .

"Hey!" comes a different voice.  You turn to see another person running up to a ledge some distance behind you.  "Trade you for your wheelbarrow.  Same deal!" he shouts, hefting his backpack.

He seems legitimately interested in you throwing a wheelbarrow at him across a chasm.  This is the strangest popularity you have ever received.

You've got about a second to make a decision; benefits unknown.

I'll compile character sheet type stuff in the next post.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:03:59 am by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 07:41:19 pm »

"you got any knives or short blades? Maybe some string and a needle? I'll gladly trade for those, miss!"
check my pack, and try to trade for some basic medical items with the lady. Don't throw all my goods to her though.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »

Frank sits down, and chuckles sadly.

"We're screwed."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 08:00:59 pm »

Heh, heh.  Good and relevant questions, Dustan.  But I'm giving you "about a second" for a reason.  Call it . . . a team-building exercise!  Like a trust fall!  Someone steps up and makes a trade, and you go.  THEN I tell you what you've done.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 08:09:48 pm by Sir Knight »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 173