Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218497 times)

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 13 - Whither Now?
« Reply #1200 on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:16 pm »

"I still want to leave."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 22, 2017, 08:04:40 pm »

Previous -- Next

Okay, there's a clear push to move on: two players vote "leave," and, of course, one's just gonna meditate until things happen.  Standing still is not an option.  So I know that Dustan (Dustan Hache) may want to mess with things, but I'll just do what I did last time: update based on some really quick actions.

Dwain approaches the "mining site" to investigate more cautiously.  And remove quotation marks.  It's obviously a mining site: pick scratches and everything.

John is more interesting in looting and running, and so walks up to jab a splitter wand into the one remaining patch of magenta.  Consequently, "BOOM."  Shale and dust pour out, and the magical violence reverberates from one end of the caves to the other.

You guess the area was cleaned out pretty thoroughly as only a single usable chunk of glowstone clatters from the cloud.  But what was that?  Some more noise behind the walls?

Suspicious, Dwain listens carefully.  Hmm . . . yes, what you're hearing right now is definitely water.

Overseer, knowing that sometimes there are obstacles to meditation, has been relaxing the best that he can.  So, fine, you feel a conflict: these things happen.  It may pass, or it may be there to teach you a lesson.  You wait to learn the truth . . .

And when the loud BOOM wakes you up, you are so glad that none of your fellow exiles were nearby to see you nod off during the attempt.

. . . Like I said, we have two votes for leaving.  Things like this require unanimity.  Are we all ready to leave?  Or does anyone (including Dustan of course) need to interrupt first?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:11:36 am by Sir Knight »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 22, 2017, 10:53:52 pm »

Well, that running water sure sounds like a plot-point something more interesting than someone doing the equivalent of saying "Are we nearly there yet? Why aren't we there yet?" in the back seat of a car. But I also just had someone of a similar mind explode a rock-face almost in my own face. That's gotta be distracting.

Take a swig of water, pointedly, and then wander over to the cracks only so long as John doesn't actually go back to the barrows (presumably with the glowstone). If he does, I'll take the cue that the break is over and perhaps make a mental note for if/when I pass this way again, as I'm not risking being left behind.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:21 pm »

ugh. Let's just go. We may find it again later.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:51 am »

We may find it again later.

As you've seen, I will in fact save known maps and re-use them for things.  He he he.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 23, 2017, 10:56:28 am »

Overseer is ready to go. As he goes, he works on walking meditation, meditating while walking.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 23, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »

Overseer is ready to go. As he goes, he works on walking meditation, meditating while walking.

. . . Now that Dwain (Starver) has given you that idea, you're never going to drop it, huh?  I'm not one to give out "free actions," especially since this thing has delivered combat bonuses before, but I guess we can label it one of the special qualities of being a religion-focused character.  Sure.  (I, uh, guess this means I should offer a "walking meditation roll" to Dwain then?)

Maybe I'll limit the bonuses to one per day, but another thing is it does demand a lot of writing if I'm to keep your experience interesting.  Ugh.  Maybe I'll allow for "Fail by succeeding" to mean smooshing your face into a wall during travel, and leave you to judge if it's worth it . . .

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 23, 2017, 05:05:39 pm »

At the rate I'm (inadvertently) job-swapping, I suspect I'm also due some acquired bonuses in mine administration...  ;)

Anyway, assuming the hounds of hell (or maybe some variety of ant-lemmings from the afterlife) aren't on my heels next time I pass here, I'm sure I'll get the chance to investigate your clues, but I'm more concerned with needing to keep with the party (and not, maybe, causing flood-related disaster to anyone1) while we find the other stuff we're dealing with.

I lost track, but I think my offered Splitter wasn't used (John used his own, Dustan appears not to have used it) so I reclaim and repack it as soon as I get back to the wheelbarrow.  Trundle trundle trundle, if that's the order of the day!

1 Assuming that the current, unpursued, task is not actually something we're supposed to prevent... If a subset of my "paranoid about what the GM is doing" worries in my brain are more accurate than I give them immediate credit for.  :P

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 23, 2017, 08:17:54 pm »

Ah, was I to take it that John (ziizo) and Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir) both vote "leave" without comment?  I was waiting in particular for John (ziizo) to address the 4 kg chunk of glowstone.  (You're out of carrying capacity yourself.  You'll either want to hand it to somebody or put it in a wheelbarrow.)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 24, 2017, 01:43:19 am »

(I'm the obvious one to lump it to the barrows, if caught in time. But I shall await being invited to.)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 24, 2017, 08:40:53 am »

To the wheelbarrow I actually thought I didn't had to post this turn because it was about the others deciding to go or stay.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 24, 2017, 08:56:58 am »

(Okay, that's what I was checking.  And there's no new obligation lingering over Alyssa Alpine (Rautherdir)'s head, so I believe the repeated statements of "leave" mean we're all set here.  Posting later!)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 14 - Pieces, but Not All
« Reply #1212 on: September 24, 2017, 02:21:29 pm »

Previous -- Next

First some babble hidden in a spoiler.

Spoiler: Talking games (click to show/hide)

Oh, and at least one of you has a private message now . . .

The group is in a hurry.  Apparently?

Dwain turns away from the obviously-water-on-the-other-side-of-the-wall thing and sips at a waterskin.  Sips meaningfully.  But you'll get to empty that whole skin on the move, because it seems that others (notably John and Alyssa Alpine) are itching to leave.

John loads up the glowstone, Dwain retrieves his splitter wand, and the group abandons the area to head east.

Evening comes to an end, and it's starting to feel like something's been missed.  Oh yeah: no one's found anything new to hunt, kill, and eat yet.

Spoiler: Camping overnight (click to show/hide)

Meals are turning repetitive.  Overseer continues to feed the group (except for Dwain, who brought his own).  You're down to enough food for six people for one day.  Or five for one day, then four of you politely die and let the survivor get some peace.

At least the glowstone fire is nice; and now you got more of it.

This whole while, Overseer tries to keep "in the zone."  A little walking meditation never hurt anyone.  But try as you might, something seems in conflict.  And you almost had it, too: this evening, you thought that two factors within you needed to resolve themselves; as you move on the next morning, you feel as though some frustrating third has jumped into your head to corrupt the natural order.

That's it, everyone's up and being all noisy, time to go.

Day 14, Morning

This new area before you has been mined, too.  Pretty thoroughly.  You can see from the tiny glinting flecks that there had been an opal cluster in the western wall.

It's quiet, at least, as you come to an intersection with even more (apparent) routes out than the last one.

Alyssa Alpine, who has known Dwain for all of 10 minutes longer than the rest of you, notices that he seems agitated.  Yeah, he's still peeved about missing out on the mystery past that last intersection.

I await initial instruction.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:26:41 pm by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 24, 2017, 02:24:16 pm »

Scout the intersection. It seems quiet, so let's look what ways it leads.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 24, 2017, 03:09:01 pm »

Shadow Dustan, to be there should something happen that needs my intervention. (Going out on my own doesn't seem to work, so let's try it this way.) But be prepared to switch to shadowing anyone else who I see being even more adventurous.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 173