Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 217682 times)

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 08:04:07 pm »

"how stupid do they think we are?"

Search for good rocks perfect to throw at idiots or enemies
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 08:09:55 pm »

(Yes, the character I'm inhabiting, Lazlowe, is the or at least was the pet groomer)
"How about telling us the contents of your bags first, lady and dude"
Demand that the woman and man tell me what's in their backpacks 

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 08:13:52 pm »

Pfft, this is awesome.  I can't wait to see how you handle what comes next.  I'll be back in a few minutes to give a real update, in case you're still online and want to add anything else first.

And if this team doesn't end in cannibalism I'm going to be very surprised.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 08:51:21 pm »

Previous -- Next

"I just gave you my offer." the woman says, blandly, as you descend out of sight.  "I see you'll fit in."

"Good luck." the other one adds.  "It never does stay the same down there . . . "

And then, on some unseen cue, the metal floor of the scaffold opens and you drop into nothingness.

. . . Which rapidly becomes somethingness as you hit the ground.  It's a miracle you suffer no injury.  The scaffold is already being pulled back up, and now you are completely by yourself in the area shown below.  The walls and floor are smooth in texture but a striped, layered sort of thing in appearance.  There are a couple spots on the walls with rust-colored patches.  The opening through which you fell is way, way over your head.  You cannot hear anything or anyone else.

Your inventory is the same for all of you:

And there's this:

Spoiler: Wheelbarrow (click to show/hide)

Yes, there are also lots of loose rocks on the ground.

I mentioned some penalties in there.  I've added those to the original post's "Rolls and rules."

Now, if you feel like getting to work on that all-important mining (it's what you were sent down to do, right?), please note: it takes one person with a pick one day to mine one tile, and, in true Dwarf Fortress fashion, no one can help with your tile.  You have one day's food and water each, and all lanterns are burning.  (Food use and starvation checks are done at the end of the day.)  Make your first move count.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:06:04 am by Sir Knight »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 09:06:50 pm »

Frank dashes over to the topmost wall, and begins scratching desperately, mumbling incoherently. After a few seconds, he grabs his pickaxe, and begins to mine the leftmost rust-colored patch on the northern wall.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 09:15:26 pm »

"I wonder who will be the first one of us to be murdered for his food?

start mining the rust in the East?(right) side

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 09:20:07 pm »

"Dibs on not it!"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:47 pm »

"That's it were doomed, better accept it before we all acknowledge it"
Begin mining in the left most southern corner, the spot with the one with a single bunch of scattered black dots, and mine westward
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:10:18 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2017, 10:44:24 pm »

Mine the Rust patch on the right hand side of the north wall. Load anything I break off onto the wheelbarrow.
"oh please. Our rations should last us at least a day!
 even if they didn't, it's more likely we would eat each other rather than the other person's partially digested rations!"
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2017, 11:30:40 pm »

Previous -- Next

Now, no one said anything about lantern candles, so I'm going to be merciful and assume the more sane among you conserve them.  Who's the more sane?  Uhh . . .

. . . Dustan Hache (Dustan Hache) and John (ziizo).

You get to work.  Sense of impending doom, etc.  Looking over their shoulders, Dustan and John quietly extinguish their light and let the other two provide enough illumination to see by.

Rock splits into shingles--at least, when you manage to get through it.  The day passes.  A few big chunks of rusty stone break free where appropriate.  Presumably, night falls.  No one quite trusts one another to sleep all at once, but you manage breaks, and slowly consume the food and water you brought down here.  Morning comes, and Dustan and John relight their lanterns to see in these gloomy depths as the other lanterns gutter out.

(There are rules for sleep and healing, but you're at full health and doing well, so we'll just skip that.  And in a moment, you'll see sizable 10 kg chunks of mystery stone in each mined "rusty" tile: count the dots on the map.  You can deal with them as you want.  Dustan specified, so I'll add two 10 kg chunks directly to the wheelbarrow.)

Day 2, Morning

You've just about reached your limit when you make a breakthrough!  Two of them!  On two sides, north and west, great slabs of stone fall away to reveal another cavern!  Squawking noises come from the northern one, and when you can see clearly Frank spots three strange creatures cowering against the wall.

The creatures are shaped and sized like turkeys.  But they have thin forelimbs instead of wings and their skin is all scaly.  There are some loose brown stones in the middle of the floor, too, like crystals or something.  It looks like the creatures were . . . eating one?

I have put full character sheets into the first post.  This is basically HP plus inventory.

I wrote "fresh air" on the map indicating that there's a hole in the ceiling where you were first exiled.  The regions you're unearthing are enclosed caverns.

Aaand I'll be back tomorrow!  Give me ideas and I'll make them happen!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:06:50 am by Sir Knight »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2017, 11:50:05 pm »

"Guys, my cavern that I just discovered keep continuing to even it being out of line of sight. I'm going to explore this crevice, you may assist me if you want. Never know, maybe this cavern is more larger than I'm expecting it to be."

With or without assistance, move slowly downwards while in a crouched position until I'm at the edge of the pillar in middle. Keep continuing with this crouched movement until something happens or I reached the edge. If I reach the edge than just mine the most southern tip downwards. Also make sure I have a lit lantern while I'm exploring.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2017, 11:59:25 pm »

"Food!"

Frank attacks the creatures with his pickaxe, aiming to butcher them.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2017, 01:09:34 am »

"wait, I am going with you"

Follow Lazlowe provide light.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2017, 01:32:47 am »

continue digging as best I can without lighting my lantern, loading it all on the wheelbarrow. Try and see if the lift is coming back for the ore with supplies.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 01:35:13 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:22 am »

Previous -- Next

The "group" splits.  Dustan extinguishes his lantern while Frank dashes off into the distance like a madman, unphazed as visibility drops between him and his prey.  Dustan keeps at work through the excitement.

Huh.  He notices that they all left behind their mining spoils.  Maybe he should do something about that.  It's more than would fit in the group's wheelbarrow, but he could consider cramming some in his backpack . . .

Lazlowe gives at least lip service to keeping a team together, and John follows him.  The light reflects off of the black rock revealed to the west when he first breached the wall.  Oh yeah; that stuff's coal.  Everyone knows coal, right?

(The wall on the west has a few 3 kg chunks of presumed-coal that have crumbled off.  Count the dots on the map.  Your call.)

The two explore carefully, finding the space continues on quite a ways, revealing and passing another cluster of coal.  Strange, though, it's started to smell bad in this direction.  John's lantern sparks and spits.

Meanwhile, Frank goes nuts.

Frank's swing lands his pick in the nearest scaly creature with a killing blow.  Not bad for an amateur exile.

Scaled turkey A has been struck down!

One of the survivors squirms past Frank with a terrified squawk and makes haste toward the darkness, while the other pecks and claws.

It catches his arm with a talon, but only causes minor damage.

So you've got lots of stuff lying around and a few . . . complications.  Tell me what's next.  Dustan: if you really wanna mine, you can still handle other stuff and get back to it before morning passes.  I do recommend adventuring in general.

Shadowclaw777: same deal.  Mining means that time passes, so I'll wait for your reactions and such.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 12:31:22 pm by Sir Knight »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 173