Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218270 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 15 - Fresh Blood
« Reply #1620 on: December 10, 2017, 06:13:17 pm »

About the corpse, we don't know if it could lose value with a bad butchering roll, so I wouldn't recommend that we butcher it. The whole carcass also weights 200kg and we are only able to carry it whole because of the huge carcass rule.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 10, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »

Remove the Glowstone and Workstone from the wheelbarrow, put them in my pack.

I was going to comment "Ha, I see you don't want anyone else getting their grubby hands on the important stuff!"  Then I saw, what, 25 new posts of discussion?  I'm gonna need to process all that.  (It's a real pity we're not around an actual physical table with character sheets or anything.)

Other thoughts:

Get healed. Try to make a carving of a hydra getting stabbed.

Ooh, carved art!  Now I'm glad that there's a hammer and chisel to spare.  (For reference, keep in mind that you also have graphite and parchment.)

tries to break off one of the teeth as a souvenir.
separates a head. Using a mining pick. To keep.

I see we have let the gory people in.

Or we could give everything to a single person, which will give them the Overburdened debuff which only affects "Fail terribly" and "Fail by succeeding". As long that they don't get those results they can carry everything, because there doesn't seem to be a hard limit of how much we can actually carry once overburdened.

Oh ho ho!  Rules-lawyering!  Ring the Rules-lawyering Alarm!

. . . But in all seriousness, if you try to carry so much stuff that you'd break your back when hiking for hours on end, it would stretch credibility.  It was weird coming up with a good weight limit for this game: I based it on real-world hiking weight recommendations, weights carried by soldiers, and so on.  50 kg is already beyond most recommendations.  The idea of that overburdening penalty was if you have to go slightly over due to a combination of reasonable (but heavy) armor and a full backpack.

(If I must invent a new rule, I will: like "Roll to carry an absurd weight for a brief period of time; roll lots and lots if you do a forced march."  Given the half-and-half nature of the rolls, you could die.  Which . . . is horribly realistic.)

About the corpse, we don't know if it could lose value with a bad butchering roll, so I wouldn't recommend that we butcher it. The whole carcass also weights 200kg and we are only able to carry it whole because of the huge carcass rule.

He he he . . . so far, I've trusted butchery with a knife to divide weight and value equally.  (It's just not worth it to me to calculate exact amounts of liquid in a body etc.)  I laugh because Gary (Coolrune206)'s planned head removal clearly involves no knife.

Fortuitously, Tohil (randomgenericusername) seems to be handing out daggers!  Now, as discussed, it might not be necessary to do a full distribution, but would Gary accept a dagger?  Or is the idea of using the mining pick part of the, uh, experience?

And in general, I'm going to sift through these posts and come up with a distribution plan.  Since you don't know how much mining will return (in terms of kg), it probably doesn't have to be too comprehensive to start.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 10, 2017, 08:05:28 pm »

But if we butcher the corpse, then we can't carry all the parts in the wheelbarrow because it wouldn't be a huge carcass anymore but 200kg of butchered parts.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 10, 2017, 08:21:04 pm »

Eh, a mining tool is still sharp! It's just as good as a knife, Gary thought! This strange, omnipotent and omnipresent, and probably omniscient power that was trying to sway his mind knew nothing of the complexities of proper hydra head removal. He'd have to demonstrate.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 10, 2017, 08:28:13 pm »

But if we butcher the corpse, then we can't carry all the parts in the wheelbarrow because it wouldn't be a huge carcass anymore but 200kg of butchered parts.

I'm using a more itemized system in this case than Dwarf Fortress does.  One person wants to remove a head?  Fine!  I won't let a little concern like "I don't know how much a head weighs" slow me down!  The rest of the carcass will remain.

In addition, there comes the question of eating meat off of the thing if and when you still have it at the end of the day.  Past times we've done this, I let people carve away only what they wanted to eat, and still put the rest on one wheelbarrow.  (And to head off a concern: "a meal" of meat costs exactly the same whether you get it off a carcass or buy it in town.  It's things like the hides and bones, usable in crafts, that vary in value by species.  So you can eat the meat without fear of losing money.)

Start tending to people's wounds, using medical supplies where available. if one of the uninjured is willing, draft them as a temporary "field nurse".

Question: Tohil (randomgenericusername), do you consider yourself injured enough to use your bandages?  You're at 5/10.  I'm sure that Gary (Coolrune206) does at 3/10 and Bob (magmaholic) at 2/10, but probably not Louis (dustywayfarer) at 7/10.

Also, Dustan (Dustan Hache) has sometimes gotten some minor benefit from stitching up with thread alone, while your bandages of surface fabric are irreplaceable.  If anyone wants "lesser" medical care, and wants to play roulette hoping it heals at all, just tell me.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 10, 2017, 08:39:23 pm »

I'm giving my bandages to Dustan so he can choose who to heal using them. I'm not using the bandages myself. If he doesn't choose anyone to heal with the bandages,
I'll let him use them on myself or on Gary.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:53 pm »

bandages to the most wounded, a needle and thread when I run out or get to people at or above half.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:49 pm »

Okay, got it.  Still looking into things.

Get healed. Try to make a carving of a hydra getting stabbed.

I just thought to ask: do you mean to carve this into the wall, or onto a slab that you carry with you?  If there's some target surface, please let me know.

Also, I would like to take a moment to give recognition to this text:

"I want to hang this guy in my trophy room.
Once I get a room. I already have a trophy. Halfway there!
"

And I'll just assume that John (ziizo) gets his sling back from Louis (dustywayfarer).  It wasn't mentioned, but duh.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 10, 2017, 10:27:29 pm »

If I am allowed to, give everyone (and me):
. . .
John doesn't want any of the items and neither does Gary.

It looks like Bob (magmaholic), Dustan (Dustan Hache), and Dwain (Starver) have space available and haven't expressed reservations.  So, by virtue of failing to say "not it!!", they are volunteered.  That gives enough space in the wheelbarrows.  Although the results of subsequent mining or other events could necessitate more space-volunteering, it should be much more simple.

Back tomorrow!  Hopefully with an update.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:30 am »

And I'll just assume that John (ziizo) gets his sling back from Louis (dustywayfarer).  It wasn't mentioned, but duh.
It was thrown, so I don't actually have it. For some reason you thought that if I couldn't throw the javelin that I would naturally want to throw the floppy sling instead.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 11, 2017, 09:52:21 am »

Carve it into a wall,of course.Also,i think i volunteered? I just didnt make my text bold or anything. Cyhisel and yhammer o boi.  also my yh button keeps typing y wityh it.Whats up wityh tyhat?
I am a Goober.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: December 11, 2017, 11:19:15 am »

It was thrown, so I don't actually have it. For some reason you thought that if I couldn't throw the javelin that I would naturally want to throw the floppy sling instead.

Copy, paste:

Louis slips in and grabs the javelin and sling in one pass

So, yes, I assumed you wanted it.  No biggie, of course.

Carve it into a wall,of course.Also,i think i volunteered? I just didnt make my text bold or anything.

Yes, I was just being silly about the volunteering thing.  Also, would you care to select a tile on the map for me to add the carving?  I have a "carving" tile graphic, so I would like to depict it for real where you want it to be.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 11, 2017, 11:59:32 am »

Somewhere here would be nice.
I am a Goober.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: December 11, 2017, 12:14:23 pm »

Yes, I'll take my share. ((The extra load was just an idea spinning into the collective consciousness, we don't even know how much space/capacity/weighty-carrying the mined stone will need.)) And, attracted by the sound of the carving, I shall make a copy of it because I like the idea of rock art, and I honestly can't remember having seen much in the way of prior examples down here. ((Because I think every other example has been obliterated before I noticed. Certainly before I noticed I noticed!))

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 11, 2017, 10:30:16 pm »

And I'll be giving myself a little breathing space again on this one; posting tomorrow, most likely.

I'm reminded both how fun it is with a lot of people, and just how badly I need to kill some of you to keep an update from taking over my day.  Now, no one died this time . . .
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 173