Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218775 times)

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 16 - A Friendly Face
« Reply #2040 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:27 pm »

((If Bob does anything but run away right now, he is almost certainly going to die.))
A Knight of the Sun never gives up! Even if I die here, I will strike you down!
Stand up, smash Bob with mace.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:19:32 am by randomgenericusername »
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: February 25, 2018, 08:10:11 pm »

Gary decides to run right back to the group, as he feels that pissing off the residents of the Halfway House would be decidedly foolish for short and long term survival.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:58 pm »

My intentions are still as stated. From the map, regardless of the comment on threading, there's not much gauntlet yet to run.

Remember my parting *thwack*. I really need some concise comment like "All aboard, who's going aboard!" as a (de)parting comment, but if the sound of metal (non-damagingly, either way!) on rock and a hefty forced cough doesn't get the attention of some people then nothing will.

Maybe find time to do a gallic shrug in the direction of any residents still onlooking, though, to make it plain that it's all above my paygrade, at the moment.

(edited for tyops)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 06:27:42 am by Starver »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: February 25, 2018, 11:18:37 pm »

"Looks like you got a free pass Gary.  Bob is being dangerously stupid right now. Get out of here before I decide to finish the job."
Let Gary go. If he's smart, he'll run off into the tunnels before I finish with Bob. Speaking of which, Lunge for and murder that idiot before he brings the roof down on our heads!
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: February 25, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »

"We will all die here,silly man."
Another blast. With any luck,the house guards will hack us all into tiny pieces,yas. I will at least trap that yellow turd here.
I am a Goober.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: February 26, 2018, 08:14:05 am »

walk away and try to find someone of the halfway house that seems will not join the fight

"So is this common or only our group the only that does this kind of stuff?"

GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: February 26, 2018, 11:28:53 am »

My intentions are still as stated. From the map, regardless of the comment on threading, there's not much gauntlet yet to run.

Yeah, I only had so many available tiles to draw people and have it still look good.  So I sort of drew you all mid-thread.  (Oh, and I'm increasingly amused that I titled the posts here "Friendly.")

walk away and try to find someone of the halfway house that seems will not join the fight

When it comes to "joining the fight," I should be perfectly clear before proceeding.  When I said:

The residents of the Halfway House had begun to form a line of onlookers; in response to all of this they break up.  "Not in here!" is the general cry--some sound upset, some sound hostile.  Additional weapons may be sprouting.

. . . The residents were reacting both to the potential for combat "indoors" and to the nearby splitter-wand-based vandalism.  (Recall they don't like vandalism.)  I just struggled to say all that within the narrative in a way that didn't sound unnatural.  So they're angry at Bob (magmaholic) and Tohil (randomgenericusername), too.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: February 26, 2018, 11:44:19 am »

((Why are they angry at Tohil? He's trying to sto Bob, who was the one doing vandalism and insulted the inhabitants before kicking Gary from behind and using the wand to destroy stuff. I'm even considering giving some stuff to pay for the damage.))
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:16 pm »

((Why are they angry at Tohil? . . . I'm even considering giving some stuff to pay for the damage.))

Ah ha!  Good to know.  Then I'll assume you wouldn't expect to fight the locals with anything like lethal force.

As to the "why" of their anger, keep in mind what they're seeing.  Shouting, conventional fighting, splitter wand explosion(s), and actual fiery explosions, which have begun to violate one or more of their local rules.  They're being pushed to the limits and are entering "break it up!" mode, and you know how that usually goes.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:32 pm »

Previous -- Next

I made sure to warn people that the locals were restless knowing that if anything significant happened in this territory on this turn then locals would get involved.  Therefore, there are more people to add to the combat round order.

Spoiler: Combat round order (click to show/hide)

. . . Bob, Gary, Dustan, guard B (war hammer), someone who sent a private message, guard A (sword), Tohil, guard C (battle axe).

No one nearby is getting in the way, and so Alyssa Alpine, Dwain, and Louis reach the entrance of the lengthy westward tunnel without incident.  Dwain noisily clears his throat and smacks the stone with that pick again, but . . .

With them leaving, violence continues!  Bob goes for another splitter wand.  You hurry to get it out of your backpack before Tohil can rise, but you fumble the thing and it falls harmlessly to the ground.  Apparently, just falling onto the rock isn't enough to trigger the effect, as your opponent rolls away!

Speaking of getting away, Gary runs in a circle and heads right back after the others.  Some of them are already gone down the tunnel, but you almost bump into Alyssa, who's turned back.  Looking for targets in easier reach, Dustan lunges for the Bob/Tohil confluence with mason-murder in mind.  Your workstone knife continues its treachery: your hand gets cut rather badly as it slides up onto the blade during use.  The rest of the knife gets stuck going through Bob's ribcage.

Bob has been struck down!

By which point a number of armed-and-armored individuals have run up with weapons drawn.  One tries to trip you before resorting to any hammer-violence, and misses.  Another barrels straight into Dustan, overestimating and dropping the both of you straight down the pit!  Oof!  It's a miracle neither of you is hurt!

And the one with the battle axe tries to knock the mace out of Tohil's hand with her hilt, but also misses.  You suffer nothing worse than a dark glare.  Which is bad enough.

Meanwhile, Alyssa has retrieved dropped weapons and is headed back out.  Hmm, Gary never retrieved his dropped pick.

Spoiler: And-a-roll (click to show/hide)

John has walked a short distance away.  It looks like the fighting has drawn most if not all of "the guards," and although everyone else is armed too, no one without armor has any interest in getting into it.  Conveniently, you're standing right next to Etrigan.  You ask, casually, how common this sort of behavior is.

"Some people change when they're down here," he says.  He continues to keep watch on the tussling.  "Or maybe they just figure themselves out."

I have wondered if and when Dustan would die.  Apparently not before getting at least one more player kill.  Regrettably, the soulshine lantern would provide no benefit here as Bob didn't live long enough to earn level-up HP.

magmaholic: Do you want to go back on the waitlist?

Notes on that map: The little horizontal line is supposed to be the dropped splitter wand.  Obviously, his whole inventory is "dropped," now.  The downward arrow is because I tend to point to people who are one z-level away, and it turned out there was no simple place to draw it, oh well.  And if you don't see yourself on the map, you're off the west end, though welcome to return.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:36:05 am by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: February 26, 2018, 09:14:44 pm »

Climb out of the pit, and help the guard who barreled into me get out as well. We're done fighting for now, I hope. Retrieve my knife and stitch my hands up with thread.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: February 26, 2018, 09:28:02 pm »

Tohil calms down upon noticing his enemy dead on the floor.
"Thank you, doctor. I owe you my life yet again. Now, please let me help you get out of this pit. You  bravely came to my aid despite having no need or hurry to and I'm thankful."
Put the mace in my belt and aid Dustan and the guard to get out of the pit. Talk with the guards and make peace, dodging any attacks towards me. Make sure to grab Bob's surface kit and put it in my backpack. Could be useful.
(To guard)
"There is no need to fight anymore. Please put your weapon down, sir. The deed is already done and the insane mason lays dead on the ground. Please forgive us and know that I tried to avoid the damage to the ground, but I was too late to stop the madman. I will try to repay for the damage, if I can afford it."
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 07:56:35 am by randomgenericusername »

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: February 26, 2018, 10:21:10 pm »

"Need any help getting out of there?"

Walk over to the pit in the ground and assist in helping people out of the pit. After that take the backpack and waterskins from Bob and take Bob's pick over to Gary. Leave the splitter wand on the ground. (They can probably use it to help get materials for repairs.)

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: February 26, 2018, 10:31:07 pm »

Gary slowly and obviously retrieves his pickaxe and accepts Bob's pick. He then puts both of them away, so as not to incite the guards.

"Holy shit... He's dead... That could have been me..."

It seems he's finally starting to come around to the dark reality of his situation.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: February 26, 2018, 10:54:47 pm »

"Trust me Gary, you were very close to being first to go. If Bob hadn't tried to collapse the cavern using splitter wands, I probably would be extracting your kidneys right now.

And don't think I will tollerate any nonsense like what you and Bob were doing before this. If something like this happens again, I will finish the job, so help me whatever deity you people believe in!"
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 173