Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218700 times)

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile

Jesus christ, I was only away for 2 to 3 days. I'll waitlist as... Sir Looty. Everything else the same as before.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 8 - Not Alone
« Reply #646 on: April 28, 2017, 10:19:12 pm »

Previous -- Next

Welcome back to the waitlist!  Since you didn't say otherwise, I'll assume you want your banked cash to wait for your return and not go to these reprehensible murderous "sane people."

Frank (Coolrune206), I hope you're alright with me putting a couple words into your mouth in the upcoming exchange.  They do reflect your experience with the drink.

Time to let the animal alone while it eats dinner.  Safest policy.

The path down the tunnel in the southeast is as long as usual.  Night, or at least what you're assuming to be night, falls.

Spoiler: Camping overnight (click to show/hide)

Wow, no cooking bloody and suspicious meat this time!  Instead you try out the fresh-baked biscuits you bought in Rock Bottom.  Made from the grains of cavereed, huh?  Handy to have replacements for above-ground products down here in at least some form.

Speaking of which, alcohol.  Durenadal has been soaking some potentially-bloody and suspicious mushroom mash in ale.  You offer the resultant drink to any takers first thing in the morning.

Drinking booze right after waking up?  Frank's on it!  He grabs the waterskin and takes a swig, only to spit out a big chunk of mushroom with a pinched face.  "Bitter" is all he'll say about it, yet he immediately resumes drinking before you can interject.

The rest vanishes down his gullet and he hands the empty waterskin back to you.  Apparently he finds it "like it's trying to be some other kind of drink and failing."  He evidences no strange side effects and the group just gets a move on down the tunnel.

Hmm.  Bitter, but like a real drink, huh?

Day 8, Morning

Yup, it's official.  The tunnels down here change.  Where are you now and what's waiting for you?

The coal deposit off to your left is no big deal.  More noteworthy is when Dustan spots something down the winding way: some other source of light flickers just beyond where your own fades.  He recognizes it as lantern-light.  When you stop, the rest of you can hear a repeated "thump-crunch" sound.

(I await your actions, but perhaps I should note that I'm setting up a new computer and will transition to it soon.  This can mean its own delays.)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 10:21:51 pm by Sir Knight »

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 28, 2017, 10:26:05 pm »

"Quiet, we got something over here" he would whisper as he moves to investigate and potentially ambush the things making crunching noises.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 28, 2017, 11:31:31 pm »

Frank ignores Dustan's warning, yet he does seem to speak softer than usual.

"I need alcohol on a daily basis, else I get all fidgety, and start doing stupid things.
Don't think that quite qualifies as liquor.
"

Frank then heads North, watching his step, and trying to be careful to make little noise.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 29, 2017, 05:00:54 am »

Follow dustan.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2017, 05:51:15 am »

I just realised something hillarious. Dustan is a doctor, yet he's the only one who has killed people, and he has killed 2 people. A fucking doctor is the one who's killing people. A doctor!
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 29, 2017, 09:56:55 am »

Hide around the corner. Do my best to not get noticed.
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 29, 2017, 09:59:24 am »

I just realised something hillarious. Dustan is a doctor, yet he's the only one who has killed people, and he has killed 2 people. A fucking doctor is the one who's killing people. A doctor!
Expert knowledge...

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 29, 2017, 04:12:30 pm »

FallacyofUrist has stated absence until Monday, so that's actually everyone.  Wow, it's fast when more of you are dead!

I'm about to have an in-person gaming event, though, so I doubt there'll be an update today.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 30, 2017, 06:50:16 pm »

Previous -- Next

Conveniently, Dustan (Dustan Hache) is the one person on the team not carrying a lantern (it's in a wheelbarrow), and he's in the lead, so questions of stealth are simpler.  For a "logical" course of action for Overseer (FallacyofUrist) during absence, I'd guess . . .

Overseer remains with Durenadal, moving the wheelbarrows back behind the corner for protection.  To the north, Frank finds a simple dead end: an alcove beyond the rest of the coal deposit.

Matters get a little interesting to the east.

You glance down the first two branches in this passage, but the activity is coming after the third.  Dustan, being as stealthy as he can, freezes when he notices the "thump-crunch" sound come to a halt.  Then you see . . . !

Three seriously ugly mugs, two wheelbarrows, and what looks like a meat-curing operation.  The visual incongruity messes with you for a moment.  But then you see that the meat they are rubbing with salt came from hideous bug bat bird carcasses and it brings the whole "look" together.

A full detailing of what's around the turn:

Two ugly mugs crouching amidst the meatwork directly on the floor.  They look just like you but ugly.  Also, they're wearing chain mail like they expected combat, and each has a sickle at his waist like you'd have a sword.  They're working with small piles of what appears to be hand-crunched salt; one of the mugs just put down a solid piece of shale near the piles.

Two wheelbarrows, almost or completely filled with slabs of whitish . . . yeah, it's rock salt.  The word SALT is engraved on every wooden surface.

One more ugly mug, armored like the others, standing by the wheelbarrows with his back to you.  He's tracing one hand along the engraved word.  His other is keeping hold on both a halberd and a lantern.

Some patches of brown stone in the nearby walls.  Perhaps this is the healthstone you've seen as loose rocks elsewhere?

. . . Pretty good detail from a single glance.  You're sure that they're going to see you in a moment, though.

(Again, I advise that I'm transitioning to another computer.  Things could get slow, especially as I ensure that I can get proper work done on the new machine.)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 09:02:44 am by Sir Knight »

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:00 pm »

It's time for battle go back and pick the abandoned iron sword this time John will use a real weapon.
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 30, 2017, 07:20:41 pm »

back away and hide around the corner. Try to lure them toward the group, then ambush them if they attack.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 30, 2017, 07:36:52 pm »

Frank returns to the group, and prepares his sling. If his teammates engage in combat, he begins firing rocks, aiming for the legs of the closest opponent.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

HugeNerdAndProudOfIt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 01, 2017, 10:31:40 am »

I'll continue hiding, given that I would logically not know whats going on, as he could not make a sound without alerting the "Ugly mugs."
Don't eat ghosts, that's how we got into this mess to begin with.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2017, 05:04:55 pm »

(Okay, I'm working on a new computer here, and also a new browser.   Everything's strange.  But I have my art program installed, and, unless something goes really weird, this round should be straightforward.  I'll see what I can do for you.)

(Overseer (FallacyofUrist) advised a return to the internet today, but it's probably unreasonable to expect a reply to everything in an instant.  Catch-up time and all that.)
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 173