Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 218799 times)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 8 - Twisty Little Passages
« Reply #825 on: June 13, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »

just hang back for now. I've done enough killing as it stands.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 13, 2017, 02:01:44 pm »

Check out what is north of us with Dwain.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 13, 2017, 03:10:48 pm »

My next character...

Name: Sir Lootser
Icon color: Blue!
What you did before coming down here: I was a mass murderer! It was fun!

So... whadya think?
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 13, 2017, 03:25:03 pm »

It's always good to have a bit of variety, I say...   8)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 13, 2017, 04:11:32 pm »

My next character...

So... whadya think?

Hmm.  Had you considered "Lootster," with that extra "t" in there?  It looks weirder to write that way, but I think it's more natural to speak aloud, what with other words ending in "-ster" like that.  (Because obviously this is the most important point for discussion.)

And now I need only Overseer (FallacyofUrist)!  I think this update should be fast to write.

I do want to get a decent pile of interesting stuff to you folks as I'll be away for another few days at the end of this week.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 13, 2017, 04:16:20 pm »

Can't wait to kill him again.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 13, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »

Question:

Saving my own light (as per prior instructions, etc), to get a different perspective on the action.

I can't find any instructions, so I don't know quite what you mean.  Are you extinguishing your lantern?  If yes, I note that Alyssa (Rautherdir) would still be bringing a lit lantern.  (And I've abandoned the idea of counting lantern candles, so there's no question of conservation, only character stealth and visibility.)

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 13, 2017, 06:44:25 pm »

If it's extinguishing the light than I will extinguish mine as well.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 14, 2017, 01:44:47 am »

I would argue that if it needs light to see, then shrouding ourselves in darkness is good. However, most of these cave creatures seem perfectly fine in the dark, so the element of light thus becomes mostly pointless for stealth purposes. Better to be able to see our foe here than to try and sneak up on them.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 14, 2017, 01:51:17 am »

Not going into the pitch-black, just not deliberately highlighting myself. Consider it a litmus test, though.

TankKit

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably writing something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 14, 2017, 03:13:00 am »

My next character...

So... whadya think?

Hmm.  Had you considered "Lootster," with that extra "t" in there?  It looks weirder to write that way, but I think it's more natural to speak aloud, what with other words ending in "-ster" like that.  (Because obviously this is the most important point for discussion.)
Sir Lootster is probably going to be the name of my next character, when this one inevitably dies.
“I would stop you from doing unholy experiments with my people, but I don’t actually care about their well-being and I kinda want to see what happens”

Spoken like a true god TankKit.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 14, 2017, 07:56:31 am »

I would argue that if it needs light to see, then shrouding ourselves in darkness is good. However, most of these cave creatures seem perfectly fine in the dark, so the element of light thus becomes mostly pointless for stealth purposes. Better to be able to see our foe here than to try and sneak up on them.

I had observed this idea getting traction in gameplay, and I find the discussion fascinating.  However, the characters haven't done much to test it.

I have notes about the use of light among your foes.  So far, the only creatures you've met without any eyes are standing jellyfish.  Partly-insectoid critters, like these right here, are . . . partly-insectoid and weird.  But everyone else has what look like normal animal eyes, and I the GM shouldn't get in any trouble for confirming it because this is knowledge your character would have gathered.

I also could point out that anywhere a map says "fresh air" is not only open to the air above, but to the diffuse light from the direction of the sinkhole roof.  Not enough light for humans to get much done, but light nonetheless.

Not going into the pitch-black, just not deliberately highlighting myself. Consider it a litmus test, though.

Will do.  I will presume that the scouts douse their lanterns for this update!  Plenty are still lit behind you.

Sir Lootster is probably going to be the name of my next character, when this one inevitably dies.

Ah, planning ahead!

So, waiting on that action from Overseer (FallacyofUrist) and then I'll post.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:19 pm »

Previous -- Next

I'm going to be away for the next few days, so I wanted to get this update out there.  I didn't have input from Overseer (FallacyofUrist) yet: if there's some urgent action you want done, you'll get priority in anything that happens next, alright?

You demonstrate your insatiable appetite for new experiences by diving headfirst into "caution" and "restraint."

To drive home the point, Ragnarok sits down and meditates.  He is kept company by Dustan, Durenadal, and Overseer in various states of battlereadiness.

Dwain and Alyssa begin exploring north, own lanterns snuffed, lit only by the glow of those back at the entrance.

You pay particular attention to the faint, shiny lines across the shale as you go.  This sideways light is good for spotting them.  You cross a few: it's clear that these trails are all pointed toward that tunnel off in the east, some more meandering than others.  They seem dry and shallow; nothing "menacing."

The more interesting show is happening on the walls.  You pass those opalescent deposits visible from the entrance and soon spot other materials: the shiny black of coal, and some other gray-colored patches off in the northeast.  Of course, neither of you has any experience with minerals whatsoever, so your identification talent was pretty much exhausted at "coal"; you guess you'll have to ask the others.

John, meanwhile, has grabbed Frank's old projectile weapon and sneaked back up to retrieve his lantern.  The accumulation of shiny lines increases as you approach.  So too increases the scent of vanilla.

The ant lemmings don't seem to react to your approach, instead chewing up the healthstone and carrying it off into the cracks in the walls.

Hmm.  You know, that carving beyond them is different from the one you copied the other day.  It looks like there's only one person depicted.  But . . . there's something else next to it in the same image?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 14, 2017, 10:39:03 pm »

Overseer sighs and begins to meditate. Maybe he'll tap into mystic forces accidentally or something.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 14, 2017, 10:56:41 pm »

I commented on how you folks are trying new experiences.  If a significant portion of gamers in this thread sit down to meditate . . . Bay 12 gamers, mind you!  While staring freakish insectoid rodents in the face.  Right after a player kill, kept secret in its worrisome and gory details.  Meditating.

Yeah.  There's simply no way to plan for Bay 12 gamers.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 173