Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 173

Author Topic: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 20 - At Rest  (Read 215787 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical ASCII Mine-diving Adventure, Day 8 - Twisty Little Passages
« Reply #855 on: June 21, 2017, 12:39:50 am »

Nope, I'm happy. In both (un)lit state and accidental position. I consider the latter to effectively be the result of the disorienting effect of the former.  And lighting up my more adventurous compatriot wouldn't be very sporting, if it exposes 'em to danger, anyway. Their own choice, regarding their own.

I wanted to know my limits, and I'm starting to see(/feel) where they are, but I'm not yet completely finished. While there's no direct danger. At least until I get evidence of anything actually photophobic!

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 21, 2017, 03:31:01 am »

Ragnarok wakes up
yawn That was a nice nap,and now i have an idea
Tries to find something that might be used as a mortar and pestle
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 21, 2017, 09:01:47 am »

Nope, I'm happy. In both (un)lit state and accidental position.

Okay, got it.

Regardless, it isn't very nice to lose a point of health because I put you in the wrong location, so I have gone back and undone this 1 HP loss.  It's such a small thing, and the scene didn't bring grave ruination upon us all, so might as well.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 21, 2017, 01:04:23 pm »

i want to join in too!

Name: Bob
Icon color: GLORIOUS RADIANCE
What you did before coming down here: I was a stonemason. I dropped a huuuuge stone block on someone i didnt like.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 02:12:28 pm by magmaholic »
I am a Goober.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 21, 2017, 06:10:51 pm »

Welcome!  I can't make a glowing icon using these tiles, so I presume you're going for something like "white."  I tried to plan for this eventuality by using a gray background on my maps, and I think a white smiley face is adequately visible.

If you'd rather something like blue for your icon, though, I should point out that there are too many other blue players.

So!  Waiting on Dustan (Dustan Hache) and Durenadal (HugeNerdAndProudOfIt) for actions.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 21, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

try mining through the stone if time allows. Healthstone should be fairly valuable to us.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 21, 2017, 10:27:08 pm »

Okay, acknowledged, and I'm about to shut down the computer for the night.

There is the conundrum about mining, though: mining to any real depth with a pick takes time, and the actions of other players could interrupt you.  If you wanted, there is one splitter wand waiting in your wheelbarrow, and that thing's instantaneous.  Dwain (Starver) also has splitter wands, which you might have observed in his exchange with the Looty one.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 22, 2017, 05:51:01 am »

Welcome!  I can't make a glowing icon using these tiles, so I presume you're going for something like "white."

well,masons ARE white in dwarf fortress. i simply chose the blue outline because i didnt want to look like ROCK SALT
I am a Goober.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:18 am »

Welcome!  I can't make a glowing icon using these tiles, so I presume you're going for something like "white."

well,masons ARE white in dwarf fortress. i simply chose the blue outline because i didnt want to look like ROCK SALT

John looks like a wall tiger, but that doesn't mean anything.  The fact that he threw the wall tiger a snack in the last map, I'm sure, is not sinister in the least.

So, waiting on Durenadal (HugeNerdAndProudOfIt).  Also Dustan (Dustan Hache), if he has any thoughts on my above reply.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 22, 2017, 06:54:17 pm »

i just realized that i will join the game with looty. I hope BOB "THE BUILDER" BLOCKALOT wont get stabbed.
I am a Goober.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:36 pm »

Well, if it gets interrupted then thats that.
Also, I just thought of something: if it takes a day to normally mine a chunk of wall by yourself, does that mean it would take half a day for two people, a quarter for three, etc. before deminishing returns are applied?
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:34 pm »

Also, I just thought of something: if it takes a day to normally mine a chunk of wall by yourself, does that mean it would take half a day for two people, a quarter for three, etc. before deminishing returns are applied?

I'd thought about this, and have it as official policy that . . .

it takes one person with a pick one day to mine one tile, and, in true Dwarf Fortress fashion, no one can help with your tile.

Because there are so many different combinations of people and wall positions, I would have no way to make a universal rule that didn't conflict with my time-of-day setup, and the artificial quantification allowed by game rules eliminates a lot of headaches.

Back tomorrow!

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 23, 2017, 12:42:54 pm »

HugeNerd was last active a week ago,if you look at his profile. maybe he wont go this turn?
I am a Goober.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:21 pm »

Hmm.  Well, I could see about updating tonight (or soon afterward) and, as I usually do, give him "priority" on anything he wants his character to do by way of compensation.  But after that round, I'd definitely have to wait on him.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 24, 2017, 09:41:38 am »

Previous -- Next

Once more this turned out to be a long update since you people are all over the place.

And again I'd rather not skip anyone's turn, but it looks like Durenadal (HugeNerdAndProudOfIt) is away for a bit, so here goes.  As usual I will give you priority in anything you choose to do for next turn.  Which, as you'll see, turns out to be important . . .

Overseer, appreciating a quiet moment of meditation with a (new friend?) (acquaintance of religious inclination?) human being, continues his pursuit onward and inward and upward.  You continue even as Ragnarok gets to his feet and walks away; looking within, and up, you don't feel left alone.  No, you feel as though you are realizing a climb idealized by others.  You feel as though this quintessential journey--this climb--is the most natural thing in the world; and that, though you may not know the how or the why, you are in the perfect where to make it.

The feeling passes and your eyes snap open and you shake your head and you ask yourself if something weird just happened.

Overseer now has +1 to the next roll that needs it!

John is still off in the east, now inspecting the carving.  You press a copy of it on parchment for future reference.  You didn't realize when looking at the last one, but however crude it may look it nonetheless was made with good tools and a lot of focus.  The lines are all similar in width and depth.

The design has some familiar elements: there's a big ugly person, yes, just like those big ugly people in the last carving.  And there are riches, too: little lines of light coming off of gems and stuff.  But this time there's a hand off to one side, reaching up into the "frame."

Anyway, you get to smashing the original with your mining pick because I don't know you just do it.

(I've added "Copy of carving B" to your inventory.)

Dwain attempts to return the way he came.  You quickly realize that what you had assumed to be a "west wall" is, in fact, another opening into the darkness.  Well, you had been going to inspect some minerals, but you get a little lost and no longer have any walls within arm's reach . . .

Alyssa Alpine continues investigations in the dark.  Though generally comfortable in stealthy nighttime actions, you don't have as much talent in weirdo cave systems, and you stumble when you come across sharp rocks loose underfoot.  Ouch . . . yup, cut your leg.  Who leaves heaps of sharp rocks lying around?  Anyway, no other sights, sounds, or smells forthcoming.

Ragnarok, elsewhere, looks for a halfway-decent mortar-and-pestle substitute.

There are various rocks lying around.  Something pestle-shaped is easy.  Getting a hand-sized concave mortar is a little tricky and you resort to chipping a divot into a stone with your mining pick; but, even though you just regained consciousness, you manage it.  Now you can smoosh stuff.

Back in the east, as John defaces the carving, Dustan starts the arduous task of hacking through an entire wall.  You've never hacked through something so vanilla-scented before.  And you'd think that the existing cracks would be a little helpful, but they're really not, as this'll take you until the next evening.

. . . If you weren't interrupted by a whole hive of ant lemmings pouring out of the wall at your intrusion!

As with the last time you faced a swarm of creatures, there are more present than will fit in tile graphics.  I'm just depicting them as a blob.  Right now there are twelve with an unknown number still coming. 

They crawl over your arms, pincer jaws biting straight through the already-damaged workstone before you can shake them to the ground.  They surge forth to attack again, this time with John also in range!

GM time: Dustan (Dustan Hache), you would have expected defence bonuses since you're covered in armor, but your entire history of obtaining armor has been matched by enemy attacks that bypass them.  These creatures have piercing jaws that bypass everything, exactly like an exile's piercing iron pick does.  Sorry!  I set up the battle progression in advance!

Durenadal (HugeNerdAndProudOfIt), seeing as you're the closest to the action, I hope I don't have to put you on autopilot right now.  Yet if so, I think we can assume you'll at least warn the more-distant people about the impending peril, so everyone can just react.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:22:27 pm by Sir Knight »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 173