Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

My adventurer has collected a set of armor, turned into a werebeast and healed her wounds, and is now ready for revenge. Should I...

create a new thread to chronicle her slaughterings?
post her adventures here, even though it doesn't quite relate to a vault anymore?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Vaults?  (Read 63116 times)

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults?
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:07 pm »

An artifact made of mythical metal?  Amazing, dude.

To save your artifact (or other equipment) for an adventurer, make a room blocked by a drawbridge that acts as a "door."  Link it to a lever nearby and seal it in.  Then, come by with your adventurer, pull the lever, and get your item(s).

When you seal it up this way, it should stay put and not move around or disappear after retiring the fort.

Like, dump the artifacts in there?

I think that's the one thing I didn't try when I my artifacts kept returning to the workshops I took them from...
Huh, looks like I'll try running a fort again.

What I do is set a stockpile for only artifact-quality weapons (or armor, or whatever).  I make all other stockpiles of that kind exclude artifact quality. (you can do this by setting up a custom stockpile, or hitting 'q' and changing the settings.) Your dwarves should haul the artifact to the stockpile, then you can seal it up with a lever/drawbridge for your adventurer.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2017, 02:29:45 pm »

I tend to set up a 'spiral' in one of my 'room blocks'.

Dug out (and smoothed) like so:

Code: [Select]
+++++++++++++++
+#X###########+
+#+#+X+X+X+X+#+
+#X#X#######X#+
+#+#+#5X6X7#+#+
+#X#X#X###X#X#+
+#+#+#4#1#8#+#+
+#X#X#X#X#X#X#+
+#+#+#3X2#9#+#+
+#X#X#####X#X#+
+#+#+X+X+X+#+#+
+#X#########X#+
+#+X+X+X+X+X+#+
+#############+
+++++++++++++++

+ = floor (smoothed)
# = undug wall (smoothed)
X = appropriate choice of barrier (atop smoothed floor)
1..9 = in order, the first nine dedicated "one artefact per tile, no bins" stockpile points, in order of assignment (atop smoothed floor, because I'm OCD like that).

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2017, 03:12:37 pm »

Posting to watch.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2017, 06:01:49 pm »

Thx Ryukan :D
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »

Wow. Tales this epic usually only happen in times of lore.
Also, if you happen to find another *strange structure* whose inhabitants are *different than most animate things*, TAKE THE SLAB YOU FIND AS WELL.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2017, 09:56:19 am »

Damn, that was a wild ride from start to finish. Once you kill that Roc (you really shoudln't need that much prep; I consider rocs to be the easiest megabeast, the hardest probably being bronze colossus), you should dig yourself a stairway to hell in fort mode to have your adventure go to the HFS where you can fight even more demons.

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 01, 2017, 09:09:14 pm »

Posting in Epic Bread

Future Me, Hey Pal! It's a shout-out from past you! What's up?

----

this whole thread is genius. leather armor, steel battleaxe. legendary.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2017, 10:03:16 pm »

If you stab the demon associated with a vault in the head and he died, does the vault have any purpose?

Like does the demon actually die by getting his skull pushed through the brain through the head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain and bruising the brain and yearing a tendon and tearing a ligament and tearing the muscle and brusing the upper spine and bruising a tendon in the neck and twisting the neck and bruising the tendon and bruising the ligiment?

Or do I need to go to hell than get back into line to hang out in his slade tower?

McNoodlehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2017, 06:23:31 pm »

Wow. Sorry for not updating you guys on this sooner. I've been busy!  :P

Almef has currently cleared another vault, banished said demon belonging to the second vault (thereby eliminating all physically-bound demons on the world), hunted down a race of night creatures to extinction (in fact, the same species that consisted of Almef's first ever kill), and swam across an entire ocean to a small, isolated landmass consisting exclusively of an elven civilization. She has spread exploits of her deeds and, even with a wererhino transformation every month, managed to avoid harming any denizens of this land. She's also the royal hearthperson of the queen herself.

Now she's retired, sitting around the home tree, enjoying her new life. Her armor is in pretty bad condition, despite it being composed of divine metal robbed from the first vault she ventured into, and she's even lost a gauntlet and had to replace it with bronze.

Therefore, to conclude her amazing five-year adventure, I plan... on creating a fortress on the isolated elven island, creating discord with the elves, digging down to hell itself, and purposefully allowing the fortress to fall after creating a gate and staircase allowing entrance to hell. Almef will venture into the ruins and fight off as many demons as she can before succumbing to her inevitable wounds. I'll probably also make a cave-in mechanism so that she can seal the gates of hell behind her once she enters within.

What's really fitting is the title she gained when she survived the original vault is "Demon Slayer."

I'll make sure to post screenshots once it's all ready, so you guys can see Almef's heroic sacrifice to seal off hell!
You bumbled your way into what some people consider winning the game.
My guess is he drew a mushroom on a throne and shoved it in their faces again and again, and kept slapping anyone who looked like they disagree.

McNoodlehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2017, 06:25:11 pm »

If you stab the demon associated with a vault in the head and he died, does the vault have any purpose?

Like does the demon actually die by getting his skull pushed through the brain through the head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain and bruising the brain and yearing a tendon and tearing a ligament and tearing the muscle and brusing the upper spine and bruising a tendon in the neck and twisting the neck and bruising the tendon and bruising the ligiment?

Or do I need to go to hell than get back into line to hang out in his slade tower?
I'm pretty sure you can kill them normally, but the slab just makes it 1000% easier. The demon tried to kill me before I got a chance to banish it and it took damage when I hacked its left upper leg with my axe.
You bumbled your way into what some people consider winning the game.
My guess is he drew a mushroom on a throne and shoved it in their faces again and again, and kept slapping anyone who looked like they disagree.

thatroleplayerGal

• Bay Watcher
  • Making promises I can never keep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2017, 08:35:26 pm »

Wow. Sorry for not updating you guys on this sooner. I've been busy!  :P

Almef has currently cleared another vault, banished said demon belonging to the second vault (thereby eliminating all physically-bound demons on the world), hunted down a race of night creatures to extinction (in fact, the same species that consisted of Almef's first ever kill), and swam across an entire ocean to a small, isolated landmass consisting exclusively of an elven civilization. She has spread exploits of her deeds and, even with a wererhino transformation every month, managed to avoid harming any denizens of this land. She's also the royal hearthperson of the queen herself.

Now she's retired, sitting around the home tree, enjoying her new life. Her armor is in pretty bad condition, despite it being composed of divine metal robbed from the first vault she ventured into, and she's even lost a gauntlet and had to replace it with bronze.

Therefore, to conclude her amazing five-year adventure, I plan... on creating a fortress on the isolated elven island, creating discord with the elves, digging down to hell itself, and purposefully allowing the fortress to fall after creating a gate and staircase allowing entrance to hell. Almef will venture into the ruins and fight off as many demons as she can before succumbing to her inevitable wounds. I'll probably also make a cave-in mechanism so that she can seal the gates of hell behind her once she enters within.

What's really fitting is the title she gained when she survived the original vault is "Demon Slayer."

I'll make sure to post screenshots once it's all ready, so you guys can see Almef's heroic sacrifice to seal off hell!

Oh my gosh yes! This is one of my favorite Dwarf Fortress stories!

God-damn

Things like this that makes me tell about this game to everyone.

Long live to Almef the lucky.

(Does she have a title of its own in the game?)

Her full name (provided she came from a human civilization) is Almef Goldwings Demon-Slayer. I don't know if it was random-genned or not, but that's what it says when I translated it (even though McNoodle provided the Demon Slayer part on their own). It's pretty fitting considering what McNoodleHead is planning on doing next!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:48:37 pm by thatroleplayerGal »
It's really easy to get into Coc; trust me, all you need is one taste of Coc and you'll be begging for more! I wasn't even sure I would like Coc until after I got a taste, and now I'm all about Coc!

Y'know, there should really be a better abbreviation for Call of Cthulhu.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2017, 02:27:34 pm »

Post To Watch
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

DAPARROT

• Bay Watcher
  • More parrots
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2017, 05:29:08 pm »

Posting to watch
I should probably introduce the actual plot soon
7/11 guy, bringer of the apocabeepse. Uplifter of threads. Herald of the hive.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 14, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »

PTW.  Found on hall of legends.  Hoping you still plan on treating us with the hell breaching finale.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]