Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

My adventurer has collected a set of armor, turned into a werebeast and healed her wounds, and is now ready for revenge. Should I...

create a new thread to chronicle her slaughterings?
post her adventures here, even though it doesn't quite relate to a vault anymore?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Vaults?  (Read 63184 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vaults?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2017, 08:32:37 pm »

Just make a copy of the relevant savegame folder (highlight it in whatever file manager your particular OS uses, within the master Saves directory, ctrl-C, then ctrl-V), when the game is not active, load up the version without any "Copy of" start (and/or "(2)" ending and/or the actual local duplicating-a-file thing) to play for a bit longer before either deleting the first copy, archiving it away somewhere else or getting "Copy (2) of..."-type more recent copy.

When you feel you've legitimately earned the right to undo things (e.g. a stupid death that wasn't your fault, or having spent ages travelling half a world map in the wrong direction), and knowing that this would also undo your hard-earned sneak-grinding skills or acquisition of the most perfect bit of armour (so it's all swings and roundabouts, and even less cheaty), go back in to the Saves bit, delete/rename-for-still-possible-posterity the newest and uncopied savedir, copy whatever the 'recovery' directory is, rename that (probably something like "Copy of Copy of...") to the non-copy name and start the whole thing up again.

Easier to do than to describe. Useful for all kinds of things (digging up Legends info, exploring a Fortress site as an Adventurer, reviewing an Adventurer's location through the Fortress gameplay, trying out various different combat techniques against the same opponent at the same starting degree of health/alertness, general !!SCIENCE!!).

DFHack's "die" (or process-killing at the OS level) always seems to be tempting the creation of various system problems/complaints/corruptions (even though they should not!), but clean saving/exiting, savegame folder shuffling then restart/opening again is a little bit awkward (serves one right for 'cheating'!) but is a perfectly allowable thing to do.

(Seriously, it would be trivial to set up a Journaling mechanism to identify duplicated and reverted games, plus premature process stoppages clearly intended to either get around the first level of abstraction or indicative of faults that need urgent reporting, and thus savescum-protect things to a degree where a non-trivial level of hackerage is needed.  But Toady allows us to reconfigure so many things, and whilsoever it is still the single-player game that it is likely to remain for way beyond the foreseeable future, "losing is fun" combines with the mantra of "you're only cheating yourself" if you go beyond your own sense of gameplay morality. Don't worry about it. Feel free to turn off Invasions whilst learning how to start a Fortress, with the config option supplied, or mess with other things to make it that bit more forgiving to you...  There's no reason not to, if you want to, even if I tend not to myself.)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2017, 06:46:35 am »

what?
wait mcnoodlehead put points into reading? so Mcnoodlehead been sneaking around the vault stealth crit chopping heads off angels wondering what and who and where can they find the owner of this slab, only to find out their dead by a roc thats been killing his past adventurers?
I guess you could do is retire the adventurer give them a nickname to the demon that fell like "stumeb's widow" and build an adventurer camp for the purpose of building an army of demigod adventurers to kill the roc that prevented you from getting as close to marriage as this game can get you vanillawise to a giant hairy lizard.
darn shame stumeb's dead though I would had drew some art of your adventurer hanging out with this... huge lizard.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:13 am »

Grats on being nominated for the Hall of Legends!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

McNoodlehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2017, 12:41:54 pm »

Grats on being nominated for the Hall of Legends!
I'm assuming that's something really cool!  :D
You bumbled your way into what some people consider winning the game.
My guess is he drew a mushroom on a throne and shoved it in their faces again and again, and kept slapping anyone who looked like they disagree.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2017, 12:42:47 pm »

Yes, it is!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:48 pm »

McNoodlehead, I am caught between loving this for how awesome it is and loving it for how completely ridiculous it is. You fought Angels without knowing you were fighting against the forces of a God, nonchalantly grabbed the prize that many people have never even caught a whiff of, all with the air of a giant Comedy of Errors show.

Amazing.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:58 pm »

McNoodlehead, I am caught between loving this for how awesome it is and loving it for how completely ridiculous it is. You fought Angels without knowing you were fighting against the forces of a God, nonchalantly grabbed the prize that many people have never even caught a whiff of, all with the air of a giant Comedy of Errors show.

Amazing.

Yeah it is, the only glimpse of a slab I've gotten was when an archangel was strangling me and decided to throw me against the wall, then I saw it just a few tiles away. Then I was crushed. And I've tried so many times... I usually can't get past the first few soldiers.

The part that makes it perfectly DF though is that the roc that killed all his adventurers also killed his prize.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45:49 pm »

This is like reading Wirejade - a complete noob achieving something great. Don't retire your adventurer, keep going until he dies. Godspeed you beautiful bastard.

McNoodlehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2017, 11:22:14 pm »

Well, time to update you guys on the condition of Almef!

I toppled a statue and, surprisingly enough, became a Were-Rhino of all things! Unfortunately, people apparently turn hostile to you once you transform, so after looking up the full moon dates and waiting til I transformed, I was ambushed by nine villagers with knives and almost killed.

Then at least five were-rhinos came to my rescue. It turns out this city, Beachreigns, has an infestation of were-rhino lairs littered around. They started slaughtering the villagers, and were friendly to me for some reason. Still, I wanted to be a hero and not a monster so I just ran. A few villagers did still follow me though, and now most of them are were-rhinos too because I had to defend myself.

So now it's just a matter of learning Fortress Mode to get my adventurer gear that's good enough so I can track down that second vault (By the way, is there any way to find vaults besides just bumping into them like I did with the first vault?).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:24:35 pm by McNoodlehead »
My guess is he drew a mushroom on a throne and shoved it in their faces again and again, and kept slapping anyone who looked like they disagree.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2017, 12:09:51 am »

Well, time to update you guys on the condition of Almef!

I toppled a statue and, surprisingly enough, became a Were-Rhino of all things! Unfortunately, people apparently turn hostile to you once you transform, so after looking up the full moon dates and waiting til I transformed, I was ambushed by nine villagers with knives and almost killed.

Then at least five were-rhinos came to my rescue. It turns out this city, Beachreigns, has an infestation of were-rhino lairs littered around. They started slaughtering the villagers, and were friendly to me for some reason. Still, I wanted to be a hero and not a monster so I just ran. A few villagers did still follow me though, and now most of them are were-rhinos too because I had to defend myself.

So now it's just a matter of learning Fortress Mode to get my adventurer gear that's good enough so I can track down that second vault (By the way, is there any way to find vaults besides just bumping into them like I did with the first vault?).

Wow, the third coolest were you can be! And you've got kin, that's awesome! You should totally go around infecting other things, just for fun.

And not that I know of. I know there's probably a way with legends, but that thing's confusing... I'm attempting my own mission to get my slab, for this one awesome clown... A lizard with a poisonous bite, who's killed a roc, a bronze colossus, two giants, and three cave dragons, who's slab is burning metal.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2017, 01:36:48 am »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2017, 02:09:28 am »

Legends Viewer can probably pinpoint the location of a vault for you. More fun just to stumble into one of course...

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2017, 03:09:22 am »

They're usually near Dark Fortresses. Well traveled people at those may mention the vault when asked about the surrounding area. Then you can just ask for directions. Legends mode is easier, though. Especially if you have to chase the goblins down to talk to them. And then they have the habit of fighting ... and dying.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2017, 03:17:40 am »

They're usually near Dark Fortresses. Well traveled people at those may mention the vault when asked about the surrounding area. Then you can just ask for directions. Legends mode is easier, though. Especially if you have to chase the goblins down to talk to them. And then they have the habit of fighting ... and dying.

Cut off two legs, punch him in the face twice, and force him to yield. They'll tell you anything. Though, you need to tell your companions to sit and wait for this to work... I hate how they attack anything you do, even if they've yielded.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 05:01:54 pm »

A wererhino? That's one of the best wereforms you can get! You have the best luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8