Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing as an alchemist  (Read 487 times)

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Playing as an alchemist
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:20 pm »

You know, adventure mode is very interesting when you permit oddball reactions.
One high-level skill I modded in was the ability to conjure "Devil Fire," a metallic rock that combusts at 9067*U, a whopping 1000 degress below body temp. With a ridiculous HEATDAM_POINT of nearly a million, it burns for quite a while.

The trick is my second reaction, "transmute stone great axe."
I can transmute the Devil Fire stone I just conjured into a !!weapon!! and never have to worry about buying a new one. The downside is that is causes armor (mittens, mostly) to be destroyed be the flames. However, because of the low fixed-temp (9067, same as ignition), the most harm you'll get from holding it is some minor blood loss as the fat in your hands reacts with the fire. It'd normally freeze your hands, but doesn't as it currently stands because I didn't define a SPEC_HEAT, so heat doesn't conduct through it. I stand corrected. My dwarf now has minor frostbite.

Anyone else here like dwarven !!SCIENCE!! in their adventures?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:15:24 pm by asialsky »
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as an alchemist
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 12:20:40 am »

Update: Upping the temp to 9867*U allows for Devil Fire to not cause frostbite.
The old material was changed to NOT self-ignite, and was simply renamed Devil Ice.

I wonder if I should make spells of a different alignment?
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as an alchemist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 05:27:37 pm »

You should - you should organize a series of ideas based on categories, such as weapon alchemy to make weapons/wep mats, armor and armor mats, unique items like drinkable concotions, or materials used for other things like valuables(diamonds, rubies, gold), materials that are hazardous and can be used kinda like traps(you create a special Death Juice that causes necrosis when touched, or psychic slime that causes severe head pain. Glue that reduces gait speed.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
----------------------------------
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.