Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for Culture Shock "Expansion Packs"  (Read 867 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Ideas for Culture Shock "Expansion Packs"
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:02:41 pm »

I am developing a mod for DF called Culture Shock. Adds in new races and new creatures, puts in some Stal's Armoury Pack stuff.

Nothing real special.

However, I have an idea for when I get very skilled in modding.

Expansion packs for the mod, basically.
They are mods made to fit right in to Culture Shock.
Here are some of the ideas.

Beyond The Blackness: A planned expansion dedicated to add plenty of nightmarish creatures to evil biomes.

Tentacled humanoids able to breathe a gas that rots your flesh? Check.

Amphibious yet also winged reptiles that have a venomous bite with effects comparable to a giant desert scorpion's sting? Check.

Demonic carp and demonic elephants? Check and check.

A megabeast that's basically a Cthulhu-hydra-dragon abomination? Most definitely.

Mini-dragons (minus dragonfire), pure white eagle people, and a talking roc!

Savage cave dwarves!
Surviving dinosaurlike creatures!
Cave hydras!
Giant jabberers!
And lest we forget, lava trolls!
Also 2 new metals!

Any expansion ideas of your own?

« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:29:10 am by Asin »

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for Culture Shock "Expansion Packs"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:30:46 pm »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:33 am »

Dragonology Expansion:  Lots of dragon types, like forest dragons, swamp dragons, desert dragons, or name them after metals and minerals, Gold Dragon, Ruby Dragon, etc, perhaps getting into obscure DF things like Tanzanite Dragon or Basalt Dragon. 

Prehistoric Expansion:  Fill the world with savage prehistoric beasts.  Fill your caravans with smilodon and mammoth tusk ivory, feed your fort for decades with a single sauropod, scramble for cover as a pack of hunting Albertasaurs or Quetzalcoatlus decends on your fortress.  Possible theory, Cenozoic creatures live above-ground, Mesozoic creatures live in the caverns. 

Barsoom Expansion:  Borrow from Burrough's astounding Barsoom series.  The many martian races, Green, Red, White, Black and Yellow, their deadly radium bullets, 8th ray flying machines, the dreadful beasts of mars, the white ape, banth, apt, plant men, calot, thoat, zitidar, and others. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:06:47 am »

Dragonology Expansion:  Lots of dragon types, like forest dragons, swamp dragons, desert dragons, or name them after metals and minerals, Gold Dragon, Ruby Dragon, etc, perhaps getting into obscure DF things like Tanzanite Dragon or Basalt Dragon. 

Prehistoric Expansion:  Fill the world with savage prehistoric beasts.  Fill your caravans with smilodon and mammoth tusk ivory, feed your fort for decades with a single sauropod, scramble for cover as a pack of hunting Albertasaurs or Quetzalcoatlus decends on your fortress.  Possible theory, Cenozoic creatures live above-ground, Mesozoic creatures live in the caverns. 

Barsoom Expansion:  Borrow from Burrough's astounding Barsoom series.  The many martian races, Green, Red, White, Black and Yellow, their deadly radium bullets, 8th ray flying machines, the dreadful beasts of mars, the white ape, banth, apt, plant men, calot, thoat, zitidar, and others.

Archaics Of The Deep is gonna be kinda like the Prehistoric Expansion in a sense. Though you won't see a Tyrannosaurus rex, you'll see DF equivalents.
However, with the AOTD sub-mod, it would be more... Mesozoic. Cenozoic could go for a sequel.

Dragonology? Maybe make other varieties as well.
Lung dragons (Chinese dragons), feathered dragons, or demonic dragons.

Barsoom, eh? I'll have to look that up!

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 05:13:18 pm »

Sphere based critters
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
----------------------------------
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:52 pm »

Hmmm....

skelepound

• Bay Watcher
  • Deciever, I name thee Cael
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 03:12:18 pm »

Also - and this would take a LOT of work - what if you also made sphere based RACES? Theres over 20 spheres, and i would want to see one for each sphere, but basically each individual of the race actually has the SPHERE tag. This means that others of the same race or other races will be able to worship them to learn associated secrets - which would be wierd as hell - but i think that spheres are a bit underused, and that an entire race created by and devoted to the forces of Knowledge could be like High Elves, and there could be brutal hairy apemen with tusks who are creatures of Thralldom who send a LOT of kidnappers, and also raid your fort. Creatures of Justice would also be a bit elf-like i think, but maybe find a way to make them super hostile towards vilent civs or forts, but really tolerant and trade-y towards the more peaceful races. If you like making civs(i dont lol), sphere based civs offer a lot of potential.
My magic mod, Schools of Magic:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=162596.0
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:25:19 pm »

Also - and this would take a LOT of work - what if you also made sphere based RACES? Theres over 20 spheres, and i would want to see one for each sphere, but basically each individual of the race actually has the SPHERE tag. This means that others of the same race or other races will be able to worship them to learn associated secrets - which would be wierd as hell - but i think that spheres are a bit underused, and that an entire race created by and devoted to the forces of Knowledge could be like High Elves, and there could be brutal hairy apemen with tusks who are creatures of Thralldom who send a LOT of kidnappers, and also raid your fort. Creatures of Justice would also be a bit elf-like i think, but maybe find a way to make them super hostile towards vilent civs or forts, but really tolerant and trade-y towards the more peaceful races. If you like making civs(i dont lol), sphere based civs offer a lot of potential.

Sweet Armok no. I apologize, but that seems a little much for me.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 09:17:09 pm »

Yeah, there's sure a lot of those spheres:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sphere

But looking at the article, it looks like each MegaBeast is associated with some particular spheres.  Maybe you could do something with races that are associated with the megabeasts?  Roc, minitaur, hydra, cyclops, ettin, giant, dragon, bronze colossus. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 09:35:46 pm »

Yeah, there's sure a lot of those spheres:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sphere

But looking at the article, it looks like each MegaBeast is associated with some particular spheres.  Maybe you could do something with races that are associated with the megabeasts?  Roc, minitaur, hydra, cyclops, ettin, giant, dragon, bronze colossus.

Hmm... Maybe.