Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: HappySlapp's "Skillfully making things" thread (16 - It Just Works)  (Read 12630 times)

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
Re: HappySlapp's "Still making things" thread (10 - Overdue Fondue)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 11:45:48 pm »

What kind of games are you making? Apologies if you said this before, I just found this since it came back from the dead, and I didn't see it after a brief scan. I'm always interested in making games (although I'm just starting to learn about programming, so I won't know much there yet), so I'd love to hear about it.
And I've taken about a year to finish a town and two dungeons in my own project, so... that's pretty relatable.
Boundworlds: A Multiverse Creation and Exploration Action RPG
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 02:47:37 pm »

What kind of games are you making? Apologies if you said this before, I just found this since it came back from the dead, and I didn't see it after a brief scan. I'm always interested in making games (although I'm just starting to learn about programming, so I won't know much there yet), so I'd love to hear about it.
And I've taken about a year to finish a town and two dungeons in my own project, so... that's pretty relatable.

I love making games that are mostly systemic, I love goal-less, or at least, very open games that encourage creativity with their mechanics. I love it when games let their mechanics tell a story instead of being used by the story for it's own purposes.

I'm also still learning how to program, but I know enough by now to be able to make something, even if it may be clunky. I just don't know WHAT to make is the problem. But that will change soon, I'm sure.

I've never been able to talk to other modders/developers very often, so I'd love to hear more about your projects since you shared interest in mine as well :D

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 06:45:28 pm »

Makes sense. I haven’t heard much about systemic games until now, but they seem fascinating. I’m not going to be doing anything like that right now (in no small part because I am not currently competent enough to be able to do so), but that seems like something I should remember for whatever I do in the future.
I’d love to hear more about whatever you’re working on once you’ve got a bit more down.

I’ve often had ideas (although, until very recently, they’ve all been pretty lousy ideas), but I never really had the ability to stick with them until recently. Thus, I never even got to the point of being competent enough at anything to get anything done.

Eh, I’ve only got one thing done in IndigoFenix’s BoundWorlds (there’s a link in my signature if you want to take a look. I’d recommend it if you have any time), so I don’t know if I really count as a developer. I haven’t started ground up or got a bunch done yet. So far I’ve only created Lusuria in BoundWorlds (and another dungeon that’s waiting for me to finish the next dungeon so I can release it), so it feels a bit much to say in a developer.
I am trying to pick up writing music for games though, since music is my main hobby (I’m in three bands, two choirs, and taking piano lessons).
Good if you can't focus on a single project long enough to make a full game. Or for making an entire large game, if you feel like it.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 10:12:10 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, I was at that same point just a few months ago actually, I've got problems concentrating on one thing for long-term periods of time, it's not commitment related, I genuinely just have problems either remembering what I need to do, or what I should do in certain circumstances.

But I will eventually make something, doesn't matter if it's tomorrow or 10 years from now, it'll happen.

And since you make music, maybe we can even help each other out sometime, might be fun :D

Also, I'd love to hear some of your music, it's always awesome seeing what others make.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 12:26:28 am »

Oh yeah, games that tell a story through their mechanics are prettty neat if you can pull them off.  It's a lot easier to just throw something together and add a story on top of it, which is why you see it so infrequently... I suspect the need to fill a game with "content" even when a shorter game is all you need to tell the story is part of it. Some of the most memorable games get that way by being just long enough to get their point across.

Have you ever seen Snoman Gaming's "Good Game Design" series? It basically teaches some principles of game design that you don't tend to notice while playing, but that heavily impact the gaming experience. Highly recommended for any would-be developers.

Using BoundWorlds as an experimental sandbox for level design could be a good idea... It was supposed to be a patchwork of small, experimental levels. Of course since both Kamani and myself are prone to making rather large projects this hasn't really happened in the way I had hoped. Maybe I need a new tagline.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 12:40:07 am »

Okay, I’m on my phone and getting the quotes right is really hard since it loves to scroll everywhere when I try to select words, so I’m just labeling what every phrase was in response to. Apologies.

By the way, do either of you have any good suggestions for games that tell stories with their mechanics? I believe I’ve seen some, but not many, and I could use some examples so I can get a better grasp on what you mean (I’m still a little confused, since I can see two separate things I could see it meaning). Plus, they sound quite interesting, so...

At HappySlapp:
I’ve started being able to stick with a project starting about a year ago, but before that, I’d start a project, get a few months into it, decide I didn’t like it, restart, and then just get nothing done until I gave up. Not really sure what changed, but it’s mice to actually be able to have something to show for it.

Well, once you’ve made something, I look forward to seeing it, whenever that is.

If you ever need music, I’d take requests for free right now. I’m new, so I need more experience. I’m going to be starting college music classes soon, which should help, but I’d like to get some actual applied experience. Can’t promise it would turn out the best, since I’m still new, but I’d be happy to take a shot.

Oh, okay. I’ve put some of my stuff up on the Random stuff you drew/shopped/made/etc. thread, but I’ll put a link up to some of it. It’s just on my google drive right now, since I don’t really have enough to put anywhere formal yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/119BJdPqEubdHPwagjARlI6hyaqHss99Y/view?usp=drivesdk (designed for looping)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMe0yqYjcxKg3NmP54Ps1QMWFCCrs6MK/view?usp=drivesdk (not designed for looping).

Oh, yeah, but I’m the absolute worst at song titles, so all of the names are just random things I was thinking about when I made them.

At Indigo:
I need to listen to more of the Snoman Gaming videos. I had watched about 31 or so, but then I got distracted and forgot to check in to see what was left. The ones I did see were very helpful though, so I appreciate them.

I guess I can’t help but attempt larger projects. Once I get the first three Trials done, I’ll have to make some less Trial-based worlds that can lead you into the Trials if you choose. Smaller, more experimental levels that still let me continue making my larger project.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 04:11:24 pm »

A game that comes off the top of my head, is Middle-earth Shadow of War, because the most interesting story in it is the stories that happen because of the Nemesis system, not the game's actual story, which is silly fan-fiction at best.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 03:22:08 am »

I’ll give it a look sometime. I’ve heard about the nemesis system, but I’ve never really seen it in action. Sounded interesting in the review I read if the game though.
Although I have read some pretty good Lord of the Rings fan fiction. Also done pretty lousy fan fiction, but I’d say that I prefer my favorite Lord of the Rings fan fiction to the actual series, which also had some medium significant issues when it came to portraying groups. Not all fan fiction is silly.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2019, 03:23:09 pm »

I’ll give it a look sometime. I’ve heard about the nemesis system, but I’ve never really seen it in action. Sounded interesting in the review I read if the game though.
Although I have read some pretty good Lord of the Rings fan fiction. Also done pretty lousy fan fiction, but I’d say that I prefer my favorite Lord of the Rings fan fiction to the actual series, which also had some medium significant issues when it came to portraying groups. Not all fan fiction is silly.
There are a lot of genuinely well done fanfics, and I applaud them, because I've never written anything, and they did. I also applaud silly fan fiction because I can always tell whether they actually tried it not. Trying and failing can still make something worthwhile in my book.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 03:26:10 pm »

Fair enough. I had thought you were insulting fan fiction. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
I also can’t write fan fiction at all, so I’m with you there.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:09 pm »

Fair enough. I had thought you were insulting fan fiction. Apologies for the misunderstanding.
I also can’t write fan fiction at all, so I’m with you there.

I make it a point to not insult anyone's art, unless it's plainly obvious that they are just doing it for views/money, etc.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2019, 04:00:54 pm »

Fair enough. I’ll make efforts to avoid future misunderstandings. Apologies.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2019, 12:33:25 am »

Fair enough. I’ll make efforts to avoid future misunderstandings. Apologies.

No problem, no apologies necessary :D
Question, what's some of your favorite genres of music? I personally love Vaporwave, electronica, and classical.

Kamani

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello hello hello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2019, 03:14:05 am »

No problem, no apologies necessary :D
Question, what's some of your favorite genres of music? I personally love Vaporwave, electronica, and classical.

Hmm. Tough question. I like some stuff from a lot of genres, including chiptunes (a good example of good chiptune music is Popskyy), classical and contemporary classical (I believe Brian Crain and Sburb might fall under this, but I don’t have any examples of contemporary classical I am 100% sure on), some punk (namely Against Me!, although I’ve only heard some of their songs that somebody else figured I’d like, so I don’t know how I fell about all of their work), some video game OSTs (such as those of Deltarune, Undertale, and CrossCode), choral music (I’m in a choir after all), orchestral music, synthwave (Scandroid does some stuff in synthwave), some music that I’m not really sure where it fits (Moses Sumney’s stuff, which I would highly recommend (except for maybe the videos, which can be a little unpleasant for me), and a little bit of experimental.

In short form, for if you don’t want to read that clump of text and parentheses, I like many different genres and I don’t really have any favorites. There are a handful of genres I don’t really like, but that’s in large part because there are an extremely large number of genres, so some just specifically include traits that I don’t really enjoy.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 04:04:23 pm »

I'm not incredibly well-versed when it comes to music, but I'd say my least favorite type of music would be Country, not the older ones, but the newer songs, I feel like they're all mostly the same song in general. Which I guess could be said of a lot of newer music.
Pages: 1 [2] 3