Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: HappySlapp's "Skillfully making things" thread (16 - It Just Works)  (Read 12640 times)

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
  • Making a big thing this time
    • View Profile

After a long while of living under a rock (a basement) I have finally stepped back into the light (upstairs) to brave a world in which I am but an infant (socializing)

I have been given super special DRUGS to help me focus on things better. So yay! I can probably keep a thread going for longer than three posts this time :D

I have been learning how to use GameMaker for a little bit, almost a week, good thing I learnt a lot about Unity before I moved to GM, having a basic general knowledge of coding is really speeding up my learning rate regarding GM.

But yeah, I wanna try and actually post here when I can, even if It has nothing to do with GameMaker at large. Keep it as some sort of blog that-no-one-is-probably-going-to-care-about sort of dealio.

But in the famous words of Plato:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So there ya go, stay tuned or not. I'm probably still gonna post whether anyone listens or doesn't.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:11:25 pm by XhAPPYSLApX »

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "Pizza is pretty great." thread (2 - Electric Boogaloo)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:08 pm »

I made some stuff last night that I thought I should probably post on here, not in any way regarding pizza. But I digress.

It's for a blog I'm setting up on WordPress to do exactly what I'm doing here, talking about stuff. But the other blog is mostly just for my video game projects I'm working on, it isn't finished yet, but it should be done in a few days.

In other news, I'm actually moving in a couple of weeks, yay!

But yeah, other than that, I got nothing.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "Marmalade is a funny word." thread (3 - Revenge of the Shit)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 05:28:23 pm »

Welcome back to the place where I spout words that may, or may not (mostly not) be funny to you. Today I bring to you yet more pixel art, this time of an NES controller, I only used 5 colors in total to make it.

I'm pretty proud of this, took me a good 2 hours to make. I really like making minimalist type art, I'm not really one for realism. Tell me what you think, whoever may be reading this :D

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: HappySlapp's "Marmalade is a funny word." thread (3 - Revenge of the Shit)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:19:40 am »

That's cool artwork.

Game Maker is a nice way to learn coding, it's how I started my programming career.  Once you start using GMCode on a regular basis you'll be able to get into more general languages.

What are you making?

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "Dew it! Stew it! Jew it!" thread (4 - A New Pope)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 07:19:16 pm »

That's cool artwork.

Game Maker is a nice way to learn coding, it's how I started my programming career.  Once you start using GMCode on a regular basis you'll be able to get into more general languages.

What are you making?

I'm actually gonna make a simple roguelike, I don't really have a plan for it yet, I'm still learning the language after all xD but I do hope to have it done within a month or two :D

And thank you for the compliment, man!

Speaking of artwork, I actually made a 1920x1080 pixel art wallpaper of the Game Grumps, my favorite YouTube group :D

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "I'm making a game." thread (5 - I'm making a game.)
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 01:41:37 pm »

I haven't posted in a few days, let's see what has changed in that amount of time...

I made an idea for a fan game as my first project in GameMaker, I call it "Janeane Garafolo's Expedition to Mount Everest, starring Arin Hanson, and also Dan Avidan" you can guess who the fan game is made for xD

I'm not gonna try and be serious with it, I'm gonna just fuck around with it basically. Stay tuned for more about it :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 01:53:18 pm by XhAPPYSLApX »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: HappySlapp's "I'm making a game." thread (5 - I'm making a game.)
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:34:53 pm »

I like your art! As long as you're having fun making the game, you can't be going wrong. Good luck with everything.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 01:34:12 am »

I like your art! As long as you're having fun making the game, you can't be going wrong. Good luck with everything.

Thank you very much :D I always think to myself to never make game development become a chore, it would just make me hate doing what I usually love to do. And good luck to you in your future endeavors :D

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 01:36:02 am »

I also like your art very much, I wanna try and get to that level of expertise at some point!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 07:38:40 am »

Thank you very much :D I always think to myself to never make game development become a chore, it would just make me hate doing what I usually love to do. And good luck to you in your future endeavors :D

It works this way with everything. Even with DF.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "My first Zelda game" thread (6 - Breath of the Wild brah.)
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 05:55:08 pm »

It works this way with everything. Even with DF.

I bet it does, especially considering Toady is trying to implement *Existence* as a game. That would take a toll on anyone.

In other news, I'm actually gonna get a Zelda game for once :D can't wait, gonna make some pixel art for the occasion.

Can't wait to play it :D

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "GameMaker 2" thread (7 - Double Vision)
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 02:54:46 am »

I'm getting GameMaker: Studio 2, looks like a mighty big improvement in ease of use. I also love the way the interface looks. Can't wait to make some games with it :D

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "Make Fallout Great Again!" thread (8 - It Just Works)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 10:17:09 pm »

Having taken a huge ass hiatus from posting on here, I've finally come back with a brilliant realization...

I know how to make Fallout great again! Well... At least partly, I suppose, seeing as it'll still be the same game, but with more varied options of how to deal with certain situations, and overhauled combat mechanics!

Go here to read up on what I'm doing with the mod!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:26:27 am by XhAPPYSLApX »

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
HappySlapp's "I still make things" thread (9 - Revenge of the Piss)
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 07:34:59 pm »

Oh boy, I haven't posted here for over a year!

I've actually been up to not very much over the last year, mostly been learning how to code games, and I'm getting pretty good at the whole programming thing in general :D

Been thinking of doing some YouTube stuff too, but I feel like it would distract me too much from programming.

I might actually have something to show pretty soon, hopefully I won't go and not post on the thread for a while year again, right?

Anyways just wanted to post because why the hell not, dude!? I'm a grown ass man, I do what I want!

(Please don't ban me)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 07:38:13 pm by XhAPPYSLApX »

XhAPPYSLApX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HappySlapp's "Still making things" thread (10 - Overdue Fondue)
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 10:04:11 pm »

Another year, more non-postage.

I've been working on creating some vidya gaems, but life loves getting in the way of that, so I haven't made a whole lot of progress.

I have made some other things though, like a popular mod for Fallout 4, and I'm currently working on updating it, you can check it out here.

I will try and make an effort to post here a little more often, so I don't humorously necro-post my own thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:06:36 pm by XhAPPYSLApX »
Pages: [1] 2 3