Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidentally getting shot?  (Read 411 times)

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
Accidentally getting shot?
« on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:31 pm »

Some of my dwarves are running around hunting impalas but the bolts will occasionally go in the same tile as another fellow dwarf. Is it possible that a bolt could miss the impala and hit a dwarf, or is that impossible? Have any of you ever had this happen? Would be really cool if it could happen.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
Re: Accidentally getting shot?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:40:41 pm »

cant happen afaik.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 06:03:31 pm »

I recently had enemies apparently shoot at each other. It was an odd case where a living axedwarf was hanging out with a bunch of zombies. Every so often while they were fighting the local wildlife, the axedwarf would have to dodge flying bolts from a zombie marksdwarf.

None ever hit him, so I don't know what would have happened to their curious relationship if they had.

Chase

• Bay Watcher
  • I like video games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 06:49:10 pm »

I recently had enemies apparently shoot at each other. It was an odd case where a living axedwarf was hanging out with a bunch of zombies. Every so often while they were fighting the local wildlife, the axedwarf would have to dodge flying bolts from a zombie marksdwarf.

None ever hit him, so I don't know what would have happened to their curious relationship if they had.

This is cool, idk it's probably hard-coded for their bolts to not be able to hit each other when hunting. I have yet to set up archery practice so maybe a similar thing could happen if you had soldiers training around the targets. Once I had dug a huge pit and placed spikes at the bottom and I'd have my dwarves train around it and they'd dodge accidentally into the hole. I'm cruel, but it was more to test the pit's killing ability. Guess I could have had a dwarf drop a goat or something down it. Like ToadyOne did when he drowned that goat. I really like the idea of a novice hunter hanging out with a master hunter and being accidentally shot by the novice hunter. That kinda thing happens irl from time to time.
Fantasy World Simulation Enthusiast

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 04:31:44 pm »

Most projectiles in DF do have a chance to collide with creatures and objects they share a space with. The one exception I can think of is friendly fire from bows and crossbows. Flying dwarves, mine carts, stone blocks, axes, coins, water, corpses, siege engine rounds, magma, cats, puzzle boxes etc. can all hit dwarves that are in their flight path. For whatever reason Toady hard coded the one exception to this rule to be friendly fire from ranged weapons other than siege engines.

My guess is that without coding this in, it would just turn the battle field into a self inflicted blood bath any time you had melee dwarves battling it out while under ranged support. Seriously, with how fast and furious projectiles are spammed in this game it wouldn't take long before half your dwarves were crippled and bleeding due to friendly fire.