Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Good Bad Weapons  (Read 3001 times)

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Bad Weapons
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2017, 07:57:18 pm »

Good luck next run. My money is on death by lycanthropy. They are early game building destroyers and I don't see crossbow dwarves being able to take down a big werecritters in time to stop the ensuing melee fight and resulting plague. There's no way to turtle against building destroyers without draw bridges. I guess you could build like a spiral of fortifications and doors into the fortress and hope a few hundred bone bolts can take down whatever is marching in. It might stop some of the softer threats.

Nope!

Fire breathing flying titan in the first autumn  took it this time XD
(Wealth and pop requirement is 0)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 01:50:51 am »

But capturing wildlife is do-able!...Without weapons or cage traps it might be kind of hard though haha
Aye, initial training needs to be done in a cage in vanilla. Need either stone or metal for a mechanism, and some of your limited wood for cage.

Though if you got over that, then with luck you could run a gizzard stone industry - lots of bones, and could get you 'walls' made out of gem windows. I recalll a mention that when settling on a cave with kobolds, one used to be able to get them use nest boxes if they killed any invaders.

Regarding weapons, I'd pick dwarves with useful preferences for bonecarvers - bone pick or axe will work fine on it's job, which can get you living space/gems/wood. Still, with this challenge I'd probably rely on wooden minecarts for first line of defence against sieges. If you have enough building materials and good place I suppose drowning is also an option.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 07:19:17 am »

But capturing wildlife is do-able!...Without weapons or cage traps it might be kind of hard though haha
Aye, initial training needs to be done in a cage in vanilla. Need either stone or metal for a mechanism, and some of your limited wood for cage.

Though if you got over that, then with luck you could run a gizzard stone industry - lots of bones, and could get you 'walls' made out of gem windows. I recalll a mention that when settling on a cave with kobolds, one used to be able to get them use nest boxes if they killed any invaders.

Regarding weapons, I'd pick dwarves with useful preferences for bonecarvers - bone pick or axe will work fine on it's job, which can get you living space/gems/wood. Still, with this challenge I'd probably rely on wooden minecarts for first line of defence against sieges. If you have enough building materials and good place I suppose drowning is also an option.

What do you mean by bone picks? I thought I can only get those with fey moods.
Also, wooden mine carts are nice, but with no stone I can't make the tracks.

Flooding is a semi option though, it's just a little harder to devise the proper drowning pits without bridges.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 08:04:42 am »

Mood for a pick/axe indeed. Though all moods work for this.

You don't need stone to make tracks; 'b'uild-'C'onstructions-'T'racks to see all track lists. Granted, with just 3 wood from wagon you'll get at best 1 bouncing cart before being out of resources, but it's something.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 11:30:50 am »

Unfortunately, you can't get moods if you don't mine, iirc.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 04:28:25 pm »

Hm...Revealed subterranean tiles, right. You'd have to settle on a cave, I guess.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2017, 06:53:13 pm »

Hm...Revealed subterranean tiles, right. You'd have to settle on a cave, I guess.

It's ok, the third time around and our other player got through the assault. This time it was about 3 kobolds, and their napkin sized cloaks were torn to shreds...
By a dog and hen.

I've been chased by chickens before it can be scary

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 03:11:25 am »

Ouch, fighting a fire breathing titan when everything is made of is wood brutal.

Best of luck on your current run.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:28:10 am by Melting Sky »
Pages: 1 [2]