Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Configure Terminal (with GNOME) for DFHack  (Read 6563 times)

awesomelemonade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Configure Terminal (with GNOME) for DFHack
« on: February 21, 2017, 05:28:36 pm »

Hi,

I downloaded the starter pack from here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156011

However, for some reason, I get an error when trying to press "Play Dwarf Fortress!"

Code: [Select]
nohup: ignoring input and appending output to 'nohup.out'
nohup: failed to run command 'gnome-terminal'$'\n': No such file or directory

I'm currently using Linux Mint 18 64 bit, and my current "Configure Terminal" is set to GNOME. I've done some googling, but I couldn't find any solution that solves this problem.

In the IRC, someone told me to check out the PATH env. It seems fine to me:
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games
If I disable DFHack, it can launch, so it must be something to do with the terminal.

Thanks in advance

Tavy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Configure Terminal (with GNOME) for DFHack
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:37 pm »

For giggles, what do you get from the terminal command..

whereis gnome-terminal
if that returns a bad result, try
find / -name gnome-terminal

[edit] It may be a bad launch syntax but let's verify you actually have the terminal it's trying to use first. If not, gnome may have renamed it, in which case simply symbolically linking it in /usr/local/bin should make her work.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:49:15 pm by Tavy »

awesomelemonade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:10:12 pm »

whereis gnome-terminal
gives me
gnome-terminal: /usr/bin/gnome-terminal /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.real /usr/bin/gnome-terminal.wrapper /usr/lib/gnome-terminal /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-terminal.1.gz

If I type gnome-terminal in a terminal, it does open another terminal

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 08:16:50 am »

Did you try installing xterm like the last page says?

Though for what's it is worth, I usually launch dfhack without pyLNP with that pack.

awesomelemonade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:08:34 am »

Not sure what you mean by installing xterm; I couldn't find a page mentioning it.

Though for what's it is worth, I usually launch dfhack without pyLNP with that pack.

Are you saying that you can launch DFHack (or any mod) separately? and it would work just the same way?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »

for some reason some parts of LNP prefer xterm and cannot find any other terminal

Sure you can - LNP is mostly just a package of utilities and mods. For launching dfhack just go to your df folder and launch the dfhack file in a terminal. Haven't looked into pyLNP enough to say it definitely works the same way, tho, since I typically only use dfhack and maybe DT.

awesomelemonade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 10:40:32 pm »

Interesting...

I can launch dfhack via terminal, but how do I know if it is hooked up correctly with everything? Graphics.. dwarf therapist.. and whatnot.

I'm still hoping someone can solve the actual problem though - because it is a very strange problem, and I'm amazed I wasn't able to google the answer.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 01:52:58 am »

How do you know if dfhack is hooked into graphics?

Well, you see if the scripts/plugins with gui or whatnot(like twbt) work or if it spits out an error into console. Though it strikes me as rather stranger question.

DT is different thing - both it and dfhack hook into df, but neither one hooks into other; ideally you'd give only it permission to affect other processes such as DF; less secure option that I think LNP uses and I'm lazy enough to use by default is launching it with sudo. (Might want to create a shortcut for launching it.)

Tbh, I have used pyLNP all of 2 or 3 times; once to look, once to have it eat all my custom embark preparations and once to reset graphics to ASCII.

awesomelemonade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 03:08:17 pm »

Okay, thank you for your help. I guess I can do more reading on the wiki to figure out how to do the configs or whatever.

If anyone visits this question later on and has an answer to the original question (not recognizing gnome terminal :/), then please answer it! I'm curious to what exactly happened, and future visitors may find it helpful.

Tavy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 03:06:24 am »

I believe you can change the selected terminal in PyLNP, you should be able to set it to nohup xterm -e and see what you get. Personally, I use urxvt but it's all personal preference.

It seems nohup launched from xdg (the way PyLNP does it) can get screwy. Regardless of what xterm does, you can also try cd'ing to the directory launching from, and create a quick and dirty symlink, with ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-terminal gnome-terminal
It seems like PyLNP might be mangling the output from xdg-terminal though so have to try it and see what happens.