Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 72876 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #810 on: March 05, 2022, 04:51:52 pm »

So basically they can never get along good enough to be do such a drastic thing.

... it's amazing how Congress never fails in it's vote to raise the salary of Congressional Representatives...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 05, 2022, 05:13:26 pm »

Rick and Morty did an episode that involved that.

I mean it also involved Rick trying to get a presidential pardon by transmogrifying himself and Morty into turkeys and then the president transmogrifying into a turkey and then the turkeys taking over the America, but it was a good episode.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 07, 2022, 09:53:19 pm »

This thread seems to need a neverending stream of controversiality to keep chugging along.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 08, 2022, 11:28:56 pm »

This thread seems to need a neverending stream of controversiality to keep chugging along.
Sir, your comment is not controversial enough to fuel the thread.
I consider this failure on your part to be highly controversial.
Crisis adverted.

Autohummer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 09, 2022, 02:27:02 am »

All Jedis should be considered potential Siths.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 09, 2022, 10:15:42 am »

Pretty sure that's the exact opposite of controversial? That's explicitly canon to the setting, or something close to it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 09, 2022, 10:29:42 am »

I could be pedantic and say "Sith" and "Jedi" are already plural words, but that would make my post unpopular... oops!

Yeah though, Jedi police each other obsessively for hints of the dark side.  I feel like it's implied that their fear of the dark side leaves them emotionally stunted and ironically vulnerable to "falling".  "Oops I slipped up or did a bad thing for good reasons, guess I'm fully evil now.  Wow emotions are fun actually, I'm never going back!"  Unleashes a lifetime of weaponized resentment before burning out

Whereas rogue force users can have both strong emotions and the maturity to control them.  Theoretically.  A lot of them seem to go the edgy anti-hero direction, but that's probably due to being hunted by both Sith and Jedi (and being marketed to edgy teens).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 09, 2022, 12:17:59 pm »

Reasonably sure most force users need to learn unlock their powers from someone, or they don't realize they're actually doing anything.
...so they're going to pick up the crazy from their teacher.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 09, 2022, 12:25:04 pm »

Eh, it depends on a lot of things. There's entire planets/species of force sensitives in the setting that do all sorts of stuff without organized instruction. Some do need instruction to figure out what's going on (primarily when they're manifesting the more subtle powers, as opposed to overt telekinesis or lightning or whatever), but it's not a universal thing. There's actually a fair amount of force users outside the jedi/sith cohort, far as I'm aware. They just don't get much screen time in the relevant media.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 09, 2022, 12:38:12 pm »

Prominent 'latent' Force Users (escaped the tutilidge system, therefore drawn fully neither to the Dark nor Light Sides) include Han Solo and Jar Jar Binks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 09, 2022, 01:22:44 pm »

I mean, Luke ain't exactly very monk-like either, but in the end succeeds through the power of friendship and such. The jedi under him would have to look pretty differently from the cult of stunted emotions it used to be.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: March 09, 2022, 01:41:39 pm »

Prominent 'latent' Force Users (escaped the tutilidge system, therefore drawn fully neither to the Dark nor Light Sides) include Han Solo and Jar Jar Binks.
I honestly forgot that Jar Jar Binks's powers were never confirmed in canon, so I missed your joke and assumed that Han exhibited force powers in some EU story.

I sorta like Han Solo being a Badass Normal but it's a fine theory.  Then there's the notion that everyone is at least loosely connected to the force, which I like, but that's a mess of a conversation :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 09, 2022, 01:46:24 pm »

Han Solo has clearly stated that he is NOT a force user, in the same way that Harrison Ford has clearly stated that Rick Deckard is NOT a Replicant.  :P

Also, wasn't the pre-Clone War's Jedi track record of like 100 years since the last Jedi turned to the Dark Side? They seemed to be doing quite well until Political Animal Palpatine joined the Sith.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 09, 2022, 02:15:20 pm »

Well, you can't take Han's word for it. He (for most of his life) dismisses The Force as being nothing more than 'luck'.

That he is hyper-competent and/or hyper-lucky in most things he does seems to be relevent. That he thinks he is an otherwise 'mundane' person is not proof-positive (see an example in another genre). Certainly an innate - if unconscious - link to the Force explains much of his story-arc. Navigation, piloting, combat(/escaping combat) and weapon-use, language skills (understanding/being understood), actually getting the hunk-of-junk Millenium Falcon to fly at all[1]. And happening to be in just the right place at the right time on more occasions than plausible, given the size of the galaxy.

As for Jar Jar: hyper-incompetent yet hyper-lucky to compensate. Possibly the unknowing balance-in-the-Force for the Jedi-heavy era, just as Han is a key rebalancer in a Jedi-light one.

Anyway, I was happy to posit this here, in the Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread, as a not entirely unknown idea with decades of back-catalogue to it (at least for Han). I was actually worried that it might be too acceptable to everyone, cheers for clearing that up. (I refrained from mentioning Chirrut, as he also clearly believed, whether or not he was also similarly plot-armoured.)

[1] Lando might be ok being just having had a history with it. Rey+Finn, either/both being Latent at the time in their own way, got the abandoned Falcon flying and in combat straight out of a junkyard...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 09, 2022, 04:23:05 pm »

C'mon guys, you can get more controversial than that.

Jedi's were taught to not have emotions by Spock.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57