Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74248 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #435 on: March 10, 2017, 06:50:05 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5lUeIDNfXI

This is everything you need to know about "Celebrities are people too" as a counter argument.

"STOP LOOKING AT ME! Why can't I just blend in?"

Mind you. My arguments do not reflect my own opinions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 10, 2017, 06:52:03 pm »

The unpopular/controversial idea that posting on Bay12 for the first time just to promote your game is a bad thing.

I get shit from other forum regulars all the time about it but honestly? I don't care. Bay12 is special to me because it's full of real people talkin about games as fans talk about them, and it drives me a little nuts in this day and age of self-promotion when people come here explicitly because they know it's a big site. I'm actually ok with people posting their games here, but not when OG is treated like a place to advertise. I know people think I'm being incredibly discourteous when I say something about it, but I wouldn't view it any different than if someone walked up on the street to me and, without introducing themselves, started trying to sell me something. Shotgun marketing has never sat well with me.

There is a right and a wrong way to promote your new game in a community. To me the right way is to prove it's not a copy/pasted advertisement. Introduce yourself. Show you understand the community enough to actually craft a post instead of just building a set of hyperlinks. That shows some basic respect for the fact we are not just potential consumers, and the forum is not just a place to help you build up your Kickstarter. We can be and the forum can do that for you, if your game looks rad and you seem cool.

I really debated whether to post this at all but it fits firmly in the thread and is meta.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:16:25 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 10, 2017, 06:58:04 pm »

You cannot use that clout and then disown it at the same time.

That is why it doesn't apply when you do it, because you are at such a lesser scale that it doesn't affect your standing.

It's not about celebrities disowning their own status. It's about feeling like you have a right to pass personal judgments on somebody who's done nothing wrong besides have more money than you, or at worst be kind of annoying WHILE having more money than you. It's about turning off your empathy and sense of "This is another human being" because you're looking at a carefully manipulated clip on a TV screen, and taking that as objective reality. Most people on here don't even trust a news story until it's been presented by multiple sources, why would you trust a reality TV show to give you an accurate portrait of somebody's life? And yet that is what people do and it's annoying as hell.

This is everything you need to know about "Celebrities are people too" as a counter argument.

Ohhhhh! A scene depicting a charicature of a charicature on a comedy show on Disney Channel. NOW I get you. Hang on, I'll have to go to my Brandy & Mr. Whiskers box set to cite some more humanizing counter-examples.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 10, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »

It's not about celebrities disowning their own status. It's about feeling like you have a right to pass personal judgments on somebody who's done nothing wrong besides have more money than you, or at worst be kind of annoying WHILE having more money than you.

Hmm that is an entirely different argument from "Celebrities are people too".

I was more going on how celebrities are hyperfocused where everything they do is essentially multiplied many fold and how it is hypocritical when one of them decries the fact that people are on their case because they are a celebrity... all the while they milk the fact that they are a celebrity to full effect. Wanting all the status but none of the downsides, like a child who wants to be older because it means they can stay up longer, but complaining that it means they have responsibilities.

The whole "They are people too" only means so much when celebrity status is used as much as a tool by celebrities themselves.

I am not arguing that celebrities should be targeted with hate boners due to the fact that they are celebrities.

Which normally I wouldn't argue these points in a thread like this... but "Celebrities aren't actually people" is a much more unpopular opinion and I think it deserves some clout of "Celebrities are big freeken hypocrites if they ever try to say that and may they finally shut up about how eco-conscious they are!"

---

Though as I said my actual opinion on this lies somewhere else entirely.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:05:18 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 10, 2017, 07:03:54 pm »

Unpopular opinion: Celebrities are normal people too, living to the best of their abilities in a life incredibly far removed from anything any of us have known or are likely to know. But nobody buys "Celebrity walks puppy, tries to live up to spouse's expectations, has children to raise while living under 24/7 intense media scrutiny" so we manufacture controversy and make mountains out of molehills regarding people that ultimately aren't important.
They can definitely be normal people. On the other hand, the stresses and advantages given by that sort of attention push pretty strongly towards various sorts of rather messed up behavior. Add on that they're surrounded by similar people and all the sorts seeking to take advantage of such folks, and you have a recipe for very notable inclination towards all sorts of mess.

That said, great heaping piles of shit totally are invented wholecloth or near enough with constant regularity. Somethin' gotta' fill dem tabloid pages.

... also, they kinda' are important, to varying extents. Being someone that's basically one of the notable faces of a culture isn't exactly a small thing. People watch and are influenced, and that spreads. Not just about annoyance, it's about the nature of the culture you live in and the issues related to interacting directly and especially otherwise with the folks that represent meaningful facets of it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 10, 2017, 11:06:52 pm »

Ohhhhh! A scene depicting a charicature of a charicature on a comedy show on Disney Channel. NOW I get you. Hang on, I'll have to go to my Brandy & Mr. Whiskers box set to cite some more humanizing counter-examples.
Well, there goes things in my childhood I found more amusing than the shows of today. :P
That said...not everyone is represented by the celebrities--they are people too, but there's a lot into it that makes it seem one way or another to people--most especially exposure over time, like if something is hyped up so much as if it's a big deal, and it's pretty much something you're exposed to a lot...it's going to mean something.

There's also the biggest part being abstractionism: When you treat the concept rather than the person, which is blatantly a big theme with 'internet bluntness or rudeness' as there's a lot less human interaction and more abstracted interaction. :-\

...Although from a rather -half-a-world-away- experience, I have no idea why the Kardashians are an 'example' there. Seems just like something localized.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 10, 2017, 11:57:02 pm »

The unpopular/controversial idea that posting on Bay12 for the first time just to promote your game is a bad thing.

I get shit from other forum regulars all the time about it but honestly? I don't care. Bay12 is special to me because it's full of real people talkin about games as fans talk about them, and it drives me a little nuts in this day and age of self-promotion when people come here explicitly because they know it's a big site. I'm actually ok with people posting their games here, but not when OG is treated like a place to advertise. I know people think I'm being incredibly discourteous when I say something about it, but I wouldn't view it any different than if someone walked up on the street to me and, without introducing themselves, started trying to sell me something. Shotgun marketing has never sat well with me.

There is a right and a wrong way to promote your new game in a community. To me the right way is to prove it's not a copy/pasted advertisement. Introduce yourself. Show you understand the community enough to actually craft a post instead of just building a set of hyperlinks. That shows some basic respect for the fact we are not just potential consumers, and the forum is not just a place to help you build up your Kickstarter. We can be and the forum can do that for you, if your game looks rad and you seem cool.

I really debated whether to post this at all but it fits firmly in the thread and is meta.
Hear, hear. It's worth pointing out that advertising is against the forum guidelines. I don't know quite how heavily Toady enforces that against crowdfunding spammers, but I report them all the same.

There's hardly a thread on the front page of OG that doesn't have a shitty banner for this month's DF clone and/or crafting survival simulator.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 11, 2017, 09:58:03 am »

@Sinistar I don't care about 3/4 of your post, but you'd better explain the Star Wars one.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 11, 2017, 11:14:38 am »

Force Awakens is pretty crap, me thinks as well.

Behold, one of my 400 unpopular opinions: whenever I see someone go "hey guys i'm comming out as polyamorous" I can't help but to read it as "I cheated on my boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife and I need a more socially acceptable excuse for it instead of just saying I cheated on them, and if my partner doesnt like it, then they're a bigot!".

I also generally think of polyamorous people as people who want the benefits of a relationship but are too feeble to deal with the less comfortable aspects of it.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:17:31 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 11, 2017, 11:25:19 am »

The Force Awakens is genuinely one of the worst movies I've seen, but not for why you may think. It's not that it's poorly done in any way, but that it's just such a boring flatline where nothing dips too low into so bad it's good or too high into good territory that I can't stand it at all. My dad fell asleep when we watched it, and he almost never does that during a movie.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:26:56 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 11, 2017, 02:22:09 pm »

Not as bad as Return of the Jedi though.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 11, 2017, 02:28:34 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 11, 2017, 03:08:05 pm »

I've never liked the Half-Life series tbh. Only Half-Life 3 was any good.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 11, 2017, 03:18:10 pm »

I kind of feel like eugenics could be a good thing if done properly. >.>
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 57