Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74251 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #480 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:06 pm »

Ah, yeah, I forgot just how ridiculous the long scale was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Controversial idea: billion/quadrillion/sextillion is obviously less nonsensical sounding than milliard/billiard/trilliard.

Bi: 1000x10002
Tri: 1000x10003
Quad: 1000x10004
Billion being million*million (which it is, long-scale), Trillion should be billion*billion (even long scale is just million*billion), quadrillion therefore trillion*trillion and each Xillion being (X-1)illion-squared.

(Short Xillions are 1x103(X+1) or 1000X+1; Long Xillions are (simpler?) 1x106X or 10002X or 1,000,000X; these New Xillions would be 1x103.(2X) or 10002X...   E&OE, of course...)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 02:30:42 pm by Starver »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 13, 2017, 02:29:36 pm »

Controversial idea: The US government should cut it's discretionary military spending by half and instead distribute that money to all it's residents (including children with their share being allocated to their parents until they're adults) each year, turning the average American into an economic powerhouse by literally dumping millions of dollars into their budget each year.

Military spending would still be 3 times that of Russia by the way.
This smells like a confusion between million = 10^6 and million = 10^9.  There are only about 330x10^6 people in the US.  The entire annual US government spending is "only" $3.8 x 10^12.  That is on the order of $1 x 10^4 per person.  I'm not sure how you'd consider this dumping "millions" into the average American's budget each year.

It was hyperbole really.

It would have been more accurate for me to say putting millions of dollars into the lower earning parts of society.

Each person's only getting about a thousand dollars, but to a lot of people in the states that's a significant chunk of money that could massively improve their quality of life, and it would be roughly equivalent to double the amount that gets spent on food stamps (75 billion) in terms of spending on the poor (defining poor here as bottom 50%, a more specific distribution would be far more efficient but includes more overhead.)

I've been wondering about jobs having a wage maximum and minimum according to the social value they created.

So hospital cleaners would earn a lot more, but advertising consultants might earn very little.

Very nebuous concept to measure, but an interesting thought.

It would be very hard to put a value on anything like that. It would be easier to just tie the maximum wage to the minimum one so you can't pay the CEO 100 times more than the janitor who cleans their office.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 13, 2017, 02:31:44 pm »

Ah, yeah, I forgot just how ridiculous the long scale was: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Controversial idea: billion/quadrillion/sextillion is obviously less nonsensical sounding than milliard/billiard/trilliard.

Billion being million*million (which it is, long-scale), Trillion should be billion*billion (even long scale is just million*billion), quadrillion therefore trillion*trillion and each Xillion being (X-1)illion-squared.

(Short Xillions are 1x103(X+1) or 1000X+1; Long Xillions are (simpler?) 1x106X or 10002X or 1,000,000X;these New Xillions would be 1x103.(2X) or 10002X...   E&OE, of course...)
More like this:
Million == Million1
Billion == Million2
Trillion == Million3
On the long scale, of course. From an aesthetic perspective I prefer the short one, but the long scale does make more sense intrinsically...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:01 pm »

Hmmm

Feminism is on its way out and is becoming a purely academic and political pursuit.

This is mostly because mainstream feminism has become two things
-1) It has normalized: A person who believes in basic feminist theories and will speak out about them is... a normal person... not inherently a feminist.
Which leads into
-2) BECAUSE a normal person believes in basic feminist theories. A feminist is pushed towards more polarizing views.

Don't get me wrong... I am not maligned against feminism (I am against sexists and bigots... but those exist in all groups)

Yet this is a VERY similar situation to, for example, animal rights.

It has went from something that only a few people will really talk about. To something that most people have a basic level of agreement to the point where 50 years prior everyone would be considered to be a animal rights person.

So what IS the major animal rights group everyone knows of and is the face of animal rights in the US? PETA... Who are mouth foaming lunatics.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:17:09 pm by Neonivek »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 13, 2017, 03:18:05 pm »

PETA is more anti-human than pro-animal
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 13, 2017, 03:49:50 pm »

^Exactly, the ASPCA is pro-animal.

(Short Xillions are 1x103(X+1) or 1000X+1; Long Xillions are (simpler?) 1x106X or 10002X or 1,000,000X;these New Xillions would be 1x103.(2X) or 10002X...   E&OE, of course...)
More like this:
Million == Million1
Billion == Million2
Trillion == Million3
On the long scale, of course. From an aesthetic perspective I prefer the short one, but the long scale does make more sense intrinsically...
Except there is nothing nonsensical about bi/tri/quad/quint/sex/sept/oct/non, same with giga/tera/peta/exa which have defined values, 1x109/1x1012/1x1015/1x1018, but would be "thousand billion bytes" or "thousand trillion meters" unless you use the silly "billiard bytes" and "trilliard meters" words. What does a pub game have to do with computers?
FTFY.
None of that, now.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 13, 2017, 03:58:07 pm »

More like this:
Million == Million1
Billion == Million2
Trillion == Million3
Oh yes, Long Scale is absolutely more sensible.  (And more aesthetic, I'd say!  No X+1 stuff!)

But we get a whole load more usable numbers in New Scale, without having to go into extreme prefixes at the top end. As each of these shortened "most significant digits" further highlights in bold show...  (With Long Scale still doing better than Short Scale, on its own.)

Short: Three Billion, One Hundred Forty One Million, Five Hundred Ninety Two, Six Hundred Fifty Three.
Long: Three Thousand One Hundred And Forty One Million, Five Hundred And Ninety Two Thousand, Six Hundred And Fifty Three (or Three Milliard, but I avoid the Xilliards, in favour of "Thousand Xillion"s...)
New: Three Thousand One Hundred And Forty One Million, Five Hundred And Ninety Two Thousand, Six Hundred And Fifty Three

Short: Thirty One Quintillion, Four Hundred Fifteen Quadrillion, Nine Hundred Twenty Six Trillion, Five Hundred Thirty Five Billion, Nine Hundred Thirty Two Million, Nine Hundred Thirty Two Thousand, Three Hundred Eighty Four
Long: Thirty One Trillion, Four Hundred And Fifteen Thousand Nine Hundred And Twenty Six Billion, Five Hundred And Thirty Five Thousand Eight Hundred And Ninety Seven Million, Nine Hundred And Thirty Two Thousand, Three Hundred And Eighty Four
New: Thirty One Million Four Hundred And Fifteen Thousand Nine Hundred And Twenty Six Billion, Five Hundred And Thirty Five Thousand Eight Hundred And Ninety Seven Million, Nine Hundred And Thirty Two Thousand, Three Hundred And Eighty Four

Short: Three Hundred Fourteen Octillion, One Hundred Fifty Nine Septillion, Two Hundred Sixty Five Hexillion, Three Hundred Fifty Eight Quintillion, Nine Hundred Seventy Nine Quadrillion, Three Hundred Twenty Three Trillion, Eight Hundred Forty Six Billion, Two Hundred Sixty Four Million, Three Hundred Thirty Eight Thousand, Three Hundred Twenty Seven
Long: Three Hundred And Fourteen Thousand One Hundred And Fifty Nine Quadrillion, Two Hundred And Sixty Five Thousand Three Hundred And Fifty Eight Trillion, Nine Hundred And Seventy Nine Thousand Three Hundred And Twenty Three Billion, Eight Hundred And Forty Six Thousand Two Hundred And Sixty Four Million, Three Hundred And Thirty Eight Thousand, Three Hundred And Twenty Seven
New: Three Hundred And Fourteen Thousand One Hundred And Fifty Nine Trillion, Two Hundred And Sixty Five Thousand Three Hundred And Fifty Eight Million Nine Hundred And Seventy Nine Thousand Three Hundred And Twenty Three Billion, Eight Hundred And Forty Six Thousand Two Hundred And Sixty Four Million, Three Hundred And Thirty Eight Thousand, Thee Hundred And Twenty Seven

Short: Three Dodecillion, One Hundred Forty One Undecillion, Five Hundred Ninety Two Decillion, Six Hundred Fifty Three Nonillion, Five Hundred Eighty Nine Octillion, Seven Hundred Ninety Three Septillion, Two Hundred Thirty Eight Hexillion, Four Hundred Sixty Two Quintillion, Six Hundred Forty Three Quadrillion, Three Hundred Eighty Three Trillion, Two Hundred Seventy Nine Billion, Five Hundred Two Million, Eight Hundred Eighty Four Thousand, One Hundred Ninety Seven
Long: Three Thousand One Hundred And Forty One Hexillion, Five Hundred And Ninety Two Thousand Six Hundred And Fifty Three Quintillion, Five Hundred And Eighty Nine Thousand Seven Hundred And Ninety Three Quadrillion, Two Hundred And Thirty Eight Thousand Four Hundred And Sixty Two Trillion, Six Hundred And Forty Three Thousand Three Hundred And Eighty Three Billion Two Hundred And Seventy Nine Thousand Five Hundred And Two Million, Eight Hundred And Eighty Four Thousand, One Hunded And Ninety Seven
New: Three Thousand One Hundred And Forty One Billion Five Hundred And Ninety Two Thousand Six Hundred And Fifty Three Million Five Hundred And Eighty Nine Thousand Seven Hundred And Ninety Three Trillion, Two Hundred And Thirty Eight Thousand Four Hundred And Sixty Two Million Six Hundred And Forty Three Thousand Three Hundred And Eighty Three Billion, Two Hundred And Seventy Nine Thousand Five Hundred And Two Million Eight Hundred And Eighty Four Thousand, One Hundred And Ninety Seven
(((New))): ((Three Thousand One Hundred And Forty One) Billion ((Five Hundred And Ninety Two Thousand Six Hundred And Fifty Three) Million (Five Hundred And Eighty Nine Thousand Seven Hundred And Ninety Three))) Trillion, ((Two Hundred And Thirty Eight Thousand Four Hundred And Sixty Two) Million (Six Hundred And Forty Three Thousand Three Hundred And Eighty Three)) Billion, (Two Hundred And Seventy Nine Thousand Five Hundred And Two) Million Eight Hundred And Eighty Four Thousand, One Hundred And Ninety Seven - grouped for 'readability'

Short: Thirty One Quindecillion ...
Long: Thirty One Octillion ...
New: Thirty One Thousand ... Quadrillion ...  - see, far less cumbersome.  Only up to X=4...

(All done entirely by hand, without even the benefit of a decent cutnpaste function, so if I've cocked anything up...  Well.)

edited for formatting, at which point I got "Android Keyboard has stopped functioning"... To no apparent effect, but a bit worrying, nonetheless..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:03:02 pm by Starver »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #487 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:00 pm »

@Sinistar I don't care about 3/4 of your post, but you'd better explain the Star Wars one.
Not as bad as Return of the Jedi though.
Spoiler: TFA ragerantdump (click to show/hide)

Don't have a horse in the race on Beyond Good and Evil and Gundam Zeta, and agreed with Star Wars, but how do you figure with Half-Life?
A HF2 rant was in the works, but my doctor tells me only one rant per day, sorry. Tomorrow maybe.

Unpopular opinion: Sinistar is a heretic and should be burnt.
For this to be unpopular opinion there must first be people who would like to see me NOT being burnt.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 04:07:16 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 13, 2017, 04:15:17 pm »

I'd rather feed you to a horde of carnivorous chickens...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 13, 2017, 04:18:04 pm »

Chickens already eat meat.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 13, 2017, 06:13:02 pm »

More everything not inorganic and some things that are. Their edibility check is basically "is it smaller than me and cannot run away fast enough, or not moving long enough I can peck it until it fits either category." Hateful little land dinosaurs.

Though re: the numbers, I'd be happy enough if we just abolished words for numbers entirely so far as writing goes. We got numbers, let's use those.

... barring that, always short. Short is short, let's not use more words than necessary.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 13, 2017, 06:14:34 pm »

Chickens already eat meat.
Precisely. I stand by my comment.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 13, 2017, 06:17:49 pm »

I'd rather say "ten to the 9th" or whatnot.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 13, 2017, 07:23:31 pm »

On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:06 pm »

Except there is nothing nonsensical about bi/tri/quad/quint/sex/sept/oct/non, same with giga/tera/peta/exa which have defined values...
The nonsensical part is how the short system includes a thousands category, then throws it away. Mi ≈ mono = 1, so that should logically be the main unit.

A depiction (red = xillions separator, white = thousands):
Short = 31,415,926,535,897,932,384
Long = 31,415,926,535,897,932,384

I propose we rename "thousands" to "millions" and shift everything over. After all, "milli" is the Latin-based prefix for thousand. The origin of "thousand" is... Proto-Germanic? It used to mean just a "great amount".
Code: [Select]
Million  = 1000^1 = 10^3
Billion  = 1000^2 = 10^6
Trillion = 1000^3 = 10^9
Xillion  = 1000^X = 10^(3*X)
It just makes sense.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:39:01 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 57