Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73862 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:05 am »

I am reminded of Emperor Claudius's reforms to Latin; immediately revoked and forgotten after his death.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2017, 02:54:50 am »

Hex>Philips Head
One wheel short of a wagon

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:53 am »

I think discussions like this are how we ended up with "men in black" as a measurement for computer memory storage.

Sometimes just leave convention alone - changing it for "the sake of correctness" is...[adjective].

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 14, 2017, 08:25:24 am »

I think discussions like this are how we ended up with "men in black" as a measurement for computer memory storage.

Sometimes just leave convention alone - changing it for "the sake of correctness" is...[adjective].
But we have so many different standards!  To which, the only answer, obviously, is to sit down and sensibly define a single umbrella standard to cover every case!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2017, 08:30:30 am »

No, no, the correct path is to pick one and then calmly murder everyone that uses a different one. Eventually there's only one standard left. standard disclaimer: don't actually murder anyone over standard conflicts, please
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 14, 2017, 08:40:51 am »

Hex>Philips Head
Flathead>Hex(and everything else honestly)
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:19 am »

It's honestly baffling that the well isn't completely poisoned on communism by now, considering how it's turned out for everyone everywhere it's been done.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 14, 2017, 10:12:48 am »

I mostly just wanted an excuse to post the gif, but ye, its pretty surprising that people give communism such a pass while at the same time going full ham against fascism and etc, specially when you actualy give a good look at history and realize that, at the end of things, fascism and communism really weren't that different in practice. Also, the whole "fascism was racist and killed a bajillion people" doesnt exactly stick since communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting (IE homosexuals are mentally ill capitalist dogs, jews are fascist bastards because they don't conform to our ideas, ukranians are disposable, black people are inferior and immoral, etc).

So ye, sorry cringy soviet shirt guy, but I can't really treat you any better than a guy wearing a swastika.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:15:15 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 14, 2017, 10:15:06 am »

It's honestly baffling that the well isn't completely poisoned on communism by now, considering how it's turned out for everyone everywhere it's been done.

But that wasn't reeeeeally communism. At least that's what I hear from latter-day communists when they defend their ideology.

I mostly just wanted an excuse to post the gif, but ye, its pretty surprising that people give communism such a pass while at the same time going full ham against fascism and etc, specially when you actualy give a good look at history and realize that, at the end of things, fascism and communism really weren't that different in practice. Also, the whole "fascism was racist and killed a bajillion people" doesnt exactly stick since communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting.

So ye, sorry cringy soviet shirt guy, but I can't really treat you any better than a guy wearing a swastika.
As a German person, I take offense to that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 14, 2017, 10:16:33 am »

Good, lets have a beer together sometime.

But only if its west german.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:50:41 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 14, 2017, 10:25:31 am »

communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting
A lot of social media progressives seem to defend ideologies with disgusting views, as long as they can claim oppression points or whatever. They defend Islam despite its horrifying practices, they defend communism and anarchism despite their violence and mass murder.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 14, 2017, 10:59:15 am »

Can we not make this the "act snide about liberals" thread? I know a couple people have been using it for that occasionally, but it's going to ignite an argument. You can phrase these criticisms without sounding like you just got out of a fight on another site and are trying to bring it here.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:53 pm »

Also, the whole "fascism was racist and killed a bajillion people" doesnt exactly stick since communism murdered even more people and pushed several views your average social media progressive should find disgusting (IE homosexuals are mentally ill capitalist dogs, jews are fascist bastards because they don't conform to our ideas, ukranians are disposable, black people are inferior and immoral, etc).

I disagree, but only because Fascism clearly led to the Second World War (you might argue that hitler himself didn't cause all these deaths, but fascism is  indisputably the case and reason for the war), and by that token Fascism has a death toll of around eighty-four million people; whereas by contrast capitalism and communism have both, thus far, resisted the urge to plunge the world into everlasting night, which is a point in their favor.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2017, 12:28:44 pm »

Hex>Philips Head
Flathead>Hex(and everything else honestly)

Depends on the application. In general, there's never a good reason for hex heads. They're a pain in the ass to work with if removable torque isn't required and they round off in seconds if it is.

Repeatable w/o torque: flathead
Nonrepeatable: square Philips
Repeatable with torque: bolt
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 14, 2017, 12:34:48 pm »

Good, lets have a beer together sometime.

But only if its west german.
Sounds good.

There's a couple more folks here from the Netherlands and Belgium - maybe we should organize a regional meetup sometime. Whaddya think?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 57