Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74225 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #540 on: March 16, 2017, 04:13:28 am »

Unpopular opinion: Taking children from candy can be better than taking candy from children.
... You're not Bozo the Clown are you?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 16, 2017, 04:24:01 am »

Unpopular opinion: Clowns are people as well as law abiding citizens.
The content of the previous post can be interpreted differently depending upon whom is taking the children and where.
Unpopular opinion: Stephen King's It is a Superhero movie, starring Spiderclown.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:36:24 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 16, 2017, 07:46:52 am »

Stephen King is not in fact a horror writer (as should be clear to anyone who woke up with one of his books glued to their cheek by drool) but is actually a deep cover agent working for the same people who created what can only loosely be called the first artificially (artificial as in olestra) intelligent author: Stephanie Meyer who was able to establish herself in some sort of weird boundary-straddling niche as a "young adult vampire romance" writer. King was able to assist her there by pumping out story after story and getting them placed on the "horror" shelves somehow, so when those attempting to read something thrilling and scary began having their eyes glaze over at the very sight of sideways letters spelling out "Stephen King" they would start to wander over to nearby shelves and some portion of them wound up looking through the "young adult vampire romance" stuff.

The catch is, all of these books were supposed to be treated as tongue-in-cheek parodies, but somehow got taken seriously, and now I know who Footface Robbinson is.

King himself may have forgotten his original mission, becoming subsumed in his own cover, which I guess is maybe kinda sad but not really?

Though he has cited Lovecraft as a major influence, the trick H.P. pulled off was one of meticulously assaulting the perceptive faculties of inquisitive personages with unnecessarily embellished draughts of fossilized thesaurus extracts, whereupon even the most exceedingly loquacious amongst us would find the authorial perspective proffered somewhat supercilious and seek respite elsewhere as they find it difficult to remain perpendicular in the face of somnolescent beckonings, and then whilst in this pseudodreamlike embrace the gibbering madness lurking in the deepest corners of ones awareness is suddenly able to seize hold of the slightest insinuation of detail and thrust it mightily to the forefront of the imagination and force one to confront that which is both within and without!

Simply throwing more words at a scary idea doesn't quite achieve the same effect.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 16, 2017, 09:03:24 am »

Stephen King is about 1% horror,  99% small American town soap opera.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #544 on: March 16, 2017, 09:25:57 am »

Can we not make this the "act snide about liberals" thread? I know a couple people have been using it for that occasionally, but it's going to ignite an argument. You can phrase these criticisms without sounding like you just got out of a fight on another site and are trying to bring it here.
I'm not acting snide about liberals. I lean left myself, in many respects. But it's undeniable that some on the far-left defend deplorable practices, as long as it is a practice from a group they identify with (communists, anarchists) or are deemed "oppressed" (Islam).
Personally I blame protestants

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 16, 2017, 09:38:25 am »

Unpopular opinion: CGI in movies can be totally fine. It's just that nobody knows how to make a visual spectacle anymore because Hollywood can only ever make one of two movies: "iPod aesthetic" where everything is sleek and futuristic, or "gritty and desaturated" where everything is covered in so much greebles and film grain and random crap that it's impossible to tell what anything is.

It doesn't help that shakycam has completely and utterly ruined action films. You can't appreciate anything that might be cool before it's jerked out of frame and motion blurred to oblivion in the editing room.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:42:22 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 16, 2017, 11:48:27 am »

Don't forget bombfetti.

Then again, in Fantastic Beasts, actors seemed to be getting better at acting with CGI, unlike the recent, horrible hobbit films.
One wheel short of a wagon

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 16, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »

Though he has cited Lovecraft as a major influence, the trick H.P. pulled off was one of meticulously assaulting the perceptive faculties of inquisitive personages with unnecessarily embellished draughts of fossilized thesaurus extracts, whereupon even the most exceedingly loquacious amongst us would find the authorial perspective proffered somewhat supercilious and seek respite elsewhere as they find it difficult to remain perpendicular in the face of somnolescent beckonings, and then whilst in this pseudodreamlike embrace the gibbering madness lurking in the deepest corners of ones awareness is suddenly able to seize hold of the slightest insinuation of detail and thrust it mightily to the forefront of the imagination and force one to confront that which is both within and without!

Translation if you need it: He distracted you with fancy words so that your subconscious can run away with the details.

The counter argument here is that language changes, and his work has just become dated. Not just from a syntactical standpoint either, but the actual fears that his work played to are no longer founded or relevant in society today. A prime example would be "Cool Air" if you've ever read it.
Personally, I've never found the language to be much of a barrier. His work just isn't as relative as it used to be.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2017, 09:08:00 pm »

This is controversial? I'm pretty sure he'd agree with you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2017, 09:33:19 pm »

Translation if you need it: He distracted you with fancy words so that your subconscious can run away with the details.

The counter argument here is that language changes, and his work has just become dated. Not just from a syntactical standpoint either, but the actual fears that his work played to are no longer founded or relevant in society today. A prime example would be "Cool Air" if you've ever read it.
Personally, I've never found the language to be much of a barrier. His work just isn't as relative as it used to be.
(Basically, yes, but it seems like King just took the "use more words" part and ran with it.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 16, 2017, 10:25:00 pm »

There is no greater horror than small-town America.
Can we not make this the "act snide about liberals" thread? I know a couple people have been using it for that occasionally, but it's going to ignite an argument. You can phrase these criticisms without sounding like you just got out of a fight on another site and are trying to bring it here.
I'm not acting snide about liberals. I lean left myself, in many respects. But it's undeniable that some on the far-left defend deplorable practices, as long as it is a practice from a group they identify with (communists, anarchists) or are deemed "oppressed" (Islam).
Everything went wrong when the papists broke from the true church. Return and all shall be forgiven.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 16, 2017, 10:29:42 pm »

Everything went wrong when the papists broke from the true church. Return and all shall be forgiven.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:32:52 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 17, 2017, 02:35:42 am »

well it's not really, was more following up on what Max was saying above.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 17, 2017, 02:39:11 am »

Here's a real one:  HP Lovecraft was terrible.

He was important, and he did important things, but most of his contemporaries and later authors in the same vein (Ligotti for example) were much better writers.
Shoes...

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 17, 2017, 02:45:48 am »

I wouldn't say terribly so much as repetitive. He pretty much wrote 1 story well then repeated the same schtick over & over again. It's why my favourites are always the few stories that break the basic mould.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 57