Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 71767 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #675 on: April 08, 2021, 09:59:35 pm »

slut is a gender neutral term of endearment
Amongst equal friends perhaps, much in the same way that one could call one's best mate a fuckface but you wouldn't greet a stranger as so without expecting great insult to be incurred
It’s not really gender neutral either. Promiscuity among females is still viewed pretty universally poorly, whereas the inverse is true for promiscuous males.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 09, 2021, 11:09:17 am »

Context matters a lot too.  It has a completely different meaning coming from a stranger on the street instead of a close "friend", or describing oneself :P

It does get a lot of gender-neutral use nowadays despite its original meaning.  Words change and all!

Related unpopular opinion:  I still don't really like being referred to as "queer", even in completely benign contexts.  But I like that other people like it?  I'm actually happy that my gut feeling is unpopular, reclaiming slurs is tricky but cool.

Remember when "nerd" was a really rude thing to call someone?  And it's still possible to use it as a real insult, despite being a bit defanged these days.

Sounds like a good way to get sued when someone doesn't follow the exact instructions that you can't include without being classed an alcoholic beverage.
My favorite is those Prohibition-era don't-brew-this-at-home kits.  Jeez, the Budweiser Malt package has a guy literally winking.
Quote from: A law abiding retailer
“After dissolving the brick in a gallon of water, do not place the liquid in a jug away in the cupboard for twenty days, because then it would turn to wine.”
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 09, 2021, 12:37:02 pm »

Context matters a lot too.  It has a completely different meaning coming from a stranger on the street instead of a close "friend", or describing oneself :P

It does get a lot of gender-neutral use nowadays despite its original meaning.  Words change and all!

Related unpopular opinion:  I still don't really like being referred to as "queer", even in completely benign contexts.  But I like that other people like it?  I'm actually happy that my gut feeling is unpopular, reclaiming slurs is tricky but cool.

Remember when "nerd" was a really rude thing to call someone?  And it's still possible to use it as a real insult, despite being a bit defanged these days.

For me, Queer is way easier than LGBTQ+ because you don't pronounce each letter and also I transpose numbers/letters sometimes so I need to be careful and double-check acronyms. Plus it's been used as a slur the least during my lifetime, which is helpful with my comfort. Edit: For me to be called. I do my best to call others what they want, but I'll fall back on my own comfort if I don't know/remember others' preferences.

And yeah, I was GMing a TTRPG at a comic book store, and felt weird about referring to the players as nerds.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:16:57 am by Iduno »

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 16, 2021, 03:52:43 pm »

For discussion of the controversial kind:

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #679 on: May 17, 2021, 04:08:44 am »

That's sort of like the aphorism "your keys are always found the last place you look for them"

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 17, 2021, 05:30:15 am »

Ah, "useful words and phrases in ordinary language are wrong because of these very literal and specific interpretations of them". That's not a controversial opinion, it's a quibble about semantics dressed up to look like a thesis about the real world.

Have you ever considered studying metaphysics? I think it'd be perfect for you.

Potentially controversial opinion: it would be in the best interests of almost everyone in the region for Israel to formally annex all or most of Palestine. This is the only outcome likely to offer the citizens of Palestine any measure of peace and security.
One wheel short of a wagon

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 17, 2021, 07:46:39 am »

Oh yes, not just metaphysics, but also metacognizance.

I guess the "controversial" aspect is really that careless use of phrases is dangerous.  So yes while I understand that common use of the phrases I listed, I think those common uses end up supporting a problematic view of the universe.  Words and ideas do matter.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 17, 2021, 08:06:08 am »

Ah, "useful words and phrases in ordinary language are wrong because of these very literal and specific interpretations of them". That's not a controversial opinion, it's a quibble about semantics dressed up to look like a thesis about the real world.

Have you ever considered studying metaphysics? I think it'd be perfect for you.

Potentially controversial opinion: it would be in the best interests of almost everyone in the region for Israel to formally annex all or most of Palestine. This is the only outcome likely to offer the citizens of Palestine any measure of peace and security.

Well… Ireland comes to mind as an example of why that’s not a good idea. Politics and religion don’t mix too well.

Equally so, Netanyahu, while likely on the way out, has expressed disdain for the Arabic parts of Israel, so it still wouldn’t do them any good.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 17, 2021, 08:46:40 am »

Home fries are superior to hash browns.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:16 am »

Home fries are superior to hash browns.

Yes. Is this controversial? Every time I've ordered hash browns in stead of home fries I've (unfortunately) lived to regret it, most places I've been to that serve "hash browns" just serve lightly brown strips of potato flesh and honestly it's gross as hell.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 17, 2021, 09:37:24 am »

Hash browns can be pretty good, but I've never met anyone that actually says they're better than home fries, yeah. Home fries being superior isn't exactly controversial.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 17, 2021, 11:14:56 am »

I feel obliged to mention that the "British chips vs US fries" discussion is looming large.

Horses for courses, naturally. (But let's not also bring lasagne into it, ok?) We're also in danger of bringing the Belgians into this fight.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 17, 2021, 12:52:03 pm »

And the Dutch. Don't eat our hash. It's hard enough already to get some quality maroc nowadays with all the lockdowns.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 17, 2021, 05:16:00 pm »

Yes. Is this controversial?

Maybe if you hate onions.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 17, 2021, 06:06:20 pm »

What's onions got to do with it? Folks that can stand the taste of the nasty things put them in hash browns sometimes, but it's far from necessary or even default and they're generally not involved with home fries at all.

fake e: wait, shit, I see the problem now, there's at least two different things called home fries and I wasn't thinking about the one that does tend to have onions in it. The other's just well seasoned french fries/potato logs, and usually is just that and naught else.

... though tend is still not necessarily. Home fries sans onion are fine, too. Better to me 'cause onions are the metaphorical devil's asshole, but still. Either sort's better than hashbrowns tend to be when onions aren't involved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 57