Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 71774 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #690 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:02 pm »

I very occasionally get Waffle House hash browns (much more commonly pre-pandemic when I was helping out on a horse farm, carbs good) and here comes my Karen-or-not moment:  I went in the other day and was, as usual, protein-starved.  So I asked for some hasbrowns with jalapenos and onions, because *obviously* (:P), but then I also wanted two eggs [cracked over them].  I didn't say the last part.

"So, how do you want the eggs?"
*Blinking tiredly, realizing my order's weird* "Ah, scrambled, mixed in there"
"No problem!"

The twist is that this was apparently very controversial to their manager, who gave them a hard time for passing on a weird order and then for giving *me* trouble.  All this, like, right in front of me- I was "engrossed" in my phone for politeness but there's no divider, and I'm still very auditory.  Ugh.

So apparently it's controversial to protein-up some hashbrowns with egg.  Hearing a service worker be berated for a perfect performance was an unpopular experience, for me.

Yeah okay real on-topic opinion:  Tipping is an awful practice.  It originated as a means of hiring black people without paying them, and today it serves to divide the front workers from back workers.  It's the epitome of the Karen desire for control over "lesser" people.

I don't even know if my tip went to the right person there, or got shared with their boss (who probably isn't an inherently shitty person, just hard-pressed by the low margins of fast food).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 17, 2021, 11:37:32 pm »

Yeah okay real on-topic opinion:  Tipping is an awful practice.  It originated as a means of hiring black people without paying them, and today it serves to divide the front workers from back workers.  It's the epitome of the Karen desire for control over "lesser" people.

I don't even know if my tip went to the right person there, or got shared with their boss (who probably isn't an inherently shitty person, just hard-pressed by the low margins of fast food).
Is this controversial? The only people I see saying anything else are a niche of "future billionare if I just work hard at McDonalds" Americans, whereas pretty much everyone else thinks the idea of tips as a wage substitute is awful.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 17, 2021, 11:49:11 pm »

We're going to get some people defending tipping.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 18, 2021, 09:04:14 am »

Is this controversial? The only people I see saying anything else are a niche of "future billionare if I just work hard at McDonalds" Americans, whereas pretty much everyone else thinks the idea of tips as a wage substitute is awful.

I've gotten a lot of people angry by saying rapist, bigots, and genociders are bad. Like you said, mostly Americans, but some otherwise civilized-seeming people as well.

Not paying people for work, because they're doing a "lesser" job? Lots of people here support that.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 18, 2021, 09:18:14 am »

I could see side hustlers or small-town inhabitants fussing to keep tips if the equivalent work pays only 60% of the take-home from a good day's tips. The argument is more likely to be placed with 'the equivalent wage is not here yet, or I don't believe it will be' mentality, and since we can't seem to get a minimum wage worth a damn passed, I wouldn't blame 'em.

Essentially subsidizing the employee's wage  through customers based on pity or social obligation is pretty rank, though.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 18, 2021, 10:08:33 am »

I strongly support the death penalty
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 18, 2021, 11:00:31 am »

I'm thinking of settling myself as gay-converstion therapist. I will take money from orthodox parent folks, and then I will convert their child to atheism / agnosticism / or some version of their preferred belief that does not cast them out / threaten them with eternal hellfire for their sexuality or gender identity.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 11:02:11 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 18, 2021, 01:26:35 pm »

I'm thinking of settling myself as gay-converstion therapist. I will take money from orthodox parent folks, and then I will convert their child to atheism / agnosticism / or some version of their preferred belief that does not cast them out / threaten them with eternal hellfire for their sexuality or gender identity.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Let those kids be whatever they want to be and don't force them to be anything

(Please don't do this it is not morally correct and it is fucked up in a lot of ways)
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 18, 2021, 01:33:56 pm »

(Please don't do this it is not morally correct and it is fucked up in a lot of ways)

It’s as morally correct as sending the kids to conversion therapy in the first place, as I think was martinuzz’ point.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #699 on: May 18, 2021, 01:35:30 pm »

Forcing people into loving/accepting themselves seems... fine to me. Though doing it to kids still dependent on their non-supportive parents is not too great, so at least make sure to direct them to some support groups.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 18, 2021, 02:30:09 pm »

It’s as morally correct as sending the kids to conversion therapy in the first place, as I think was martinuzz’ point.
Yes indeed. Or as morally correct as forcing your religion on your children as a parent. IMO, religion should get a 18+ only restriction just like smoking and drinking.

And no, I am in no way being serious about becoming a conversion therapist. Just my 2 cents for the Controversial Ideas Thread

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 18, 2021, 02:39:48 pm »

Yes indeed. Or as morally correct as forcing your religion on your children as a parent. IMO, religion should get a 18+ only restriction just like smoking and drinking.

And no, I am in no way being serious about becoming a conversion therapist. Just my 2 cents for the Controversial Ideas Thread

Sorry about that i just got really concerned

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 18, 2021, 02:41:51 pm »

Sorry about that i just got really concerned

As someone that frequently posts non-serious things, you are not so good at reading it :p

I do agree with martinizz that religion is a dangerous thing though. Should probably be restricted.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 18, 2021, 02:46:36 pm »

I daresay that religion (not any particular religion, just the abstract whole) kills and harms more people on a yearly basis than smoking and drinking combined

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 18, 2021, 03:57:17 pm »

I strongly support the death penalty

That's quite vague. Would you expand on what you mean?
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 57