Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 71809 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #705 on: May 18, 2021, 04:23:35 pm »

I strongly support the death penalty

That's quite vague. Would you expand on what you mean?
He means people who have relationships with opossums. ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2021, 04:35:37 pm »

I strongly support the death penalty

That's quite vague. Would you expand on what you mean?

One of the amendments of the constitution say that "The punishment must fit the crime" So i believe that if you ruin someone's life there will be fatal consequences

Murderers, rapists, pedophiles and all other sorts of terrible people honestly deserve to die.

He means people who have relationships with opossums. ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

I exhaled out of my nose.

Sigged.
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2021, 05:22:53 pm »

Great, so who in the legal process do you put to death when an innocent person is wrongly given the death penalty? Do you kill the driver of a car if they have a seizure and hit someone?

Can you quantify the amount of, say, drugs you'd need to peddle to determine it to be life-ruining, knowing fully well that the legal system disproportionately targets minorities or the disadvantaged?

Is sodomy life-ruining, among consenting adults? You could still be prosecuted for it in America as late as 2003. With the protections for abortion rights being in jeopardy in the courts right now, would you have mothers put to death in the wake of a 'life-ruining' miscarriage?

You can't un-death someone if you've got the wrong guy, change your mind about what the appropriate punishment is, laws change, or death is not the desired outcome from the defendant. There will be no plea deals or speedy trials if the death penalty is on the line, straining a legal system that already frequently takes months.

It's barbaric. It offers no opportunities for repentance or redemption. This is not justice and justice does not decide who 'deserves' to die. Life is not so simple, so binary, that 'death' should be an answer to it, and if you find yourself wishing death on people, you need to reflect on your valuation of life.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 18, 2021, 05:47:16 pm »

I guess I don't count "treat abortion as murder, therefore sentence people who get or perform abortions as murders" as reasonable limitations on abortion.  That's not a limitation, that's egregious overreach.

As I've said before, what I'd like to see is that culture changes to see abortion as the option of last resort, no higher.  Sadly it's not really easy (or even possible) to legislate culture that way.

Abortion can be legal, because there are situations (however few) which warrant it.  But 99.9% (for however many 9s you think are appropriate) are performed for convenience or because of social stigma or some other emotionally-charged reason.

Put another way: I think abortion is wrong, but I think it should be legal.  I think many things fall into that category; it's not exclusive to this topic.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 18, 2021, 06:05:57 pm »

Abortion can be legal, because there are situations (however few) which warrant it.  But 99.9% (for however many 9s you think are appropriate) are performed for convenience or because of social stigma or some other emotionally-charged reason.
Last I noticed it's closer to .9 or 9 than 99%, much less higher. Most of them aren't for convenience (unless you're wildly misusing the term, anyway) or social stigma or that kinda' stuff, it's due to major issues with carrying to term, either material or medical. It's damn rare it's anything but a last resort for the vast majority of the people that have them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 18, 2021, 06:18:31 pm »

That's an argument I'm willing to leave as-is, as I'm pretty sure I've nothing that'd convince you against nor do I wish to hash this one out again as it's come up however many times before, but I'm pretty sure it is already done 'as a last resort' most of the time anyways (as I understand it, it's invasive, somewhat traumatic, very stigmatized, nobody's clamoring to have more than one, and a huge decision to make for both health and career about future prospects in a way that can't boil down to simply 'well, don't fuck' because most people have human needs) and 'punishing' the people who get, eugh, 'frivolous abortions' has a chilling effect on every victim or health catastrophe along the way.

The efforts to strip away protections to be able to get the traumatic work done and the ethical signaling behind that is where my concern lay, particularly with how the legal system is leveraged against those with less. There is injustice already in the justice system- again, within the last two decades there were legal ramifications for having gay sex. The system is already leveraged against those with less, we cannot reintroduce lethal outcomes.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 18, 2021, 06:33:25 pm »

Last I noticed it's closer to .9 or 9 than 99%, much less higher. Most of them aren't for convenience (unless you're wildly misusing the term, anyway) or social stigma or that kinda' stuff, it's due to major issues with carrying to term, either material or medical. It's damn rare it's anything but a last resort for the vast majority of the people that have them.

I'm happy to be corrected - but is there a source for that? And is it in a limited geographical area?  Worldwide, Worldometers.info estimates births so far this year are estimated at 53 million, with 16 million abortions. That is going to have to be some compelling evidence that a ratio of one abortion per 3.3 births is not "rare", or that an abortion rate that high is due to medical necessity.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 15, 2021, 12:41:53 pm »

Opinions are an illusion, there exist only various degrees of ignorance with which each and everyone of us disqualifies humanity from it's perpetuation.
let

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 15, 2021, 08:42:31 pm »

Lua is just an inferior Python.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 15, 2021, 08:55:19 pm »

...which is just plain inferior to Perl.  :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 15, 2021, 09:14:49 pm »

its all just assembly with extra steps
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 16, 2021, 12:11:09 am »

Which is flipping bits using butterflies with extra steps.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:13:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 04, 2021, 04:28:33 am »

Opinions are an illusion, there exist only various degrees of ignorance with which each and everyone of us disqualifies humanity from it's perpetuation.
...that’s an opinion
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 04, 2021, 12:43:38 pm »

...that’s an opinion
Only a sith deals in absolutes
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 04, 2021, 02:29:05 pm »

Ur face is an opinion
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 57