Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 71770 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #750 on: July 26, 2021, 01:05:13 pm »

Civics classes basically teach how the government works in an idealized world where it's by-the-constitution and corruption by lobby barely exists.

It wouldn't make people actually vote any better.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 26, 2021, 04:24:05 pm »

That's just because the classes aren't good enough/haven't improved things enough yet!

(I said I didn't know much about them, apart from their existence.)

If the class can properly teach how everyone can register to vote (or keep registered), like getting everyone on the ladder to obtaining a learner's licence (that's right?) in the case of Drivers' Ed, then surely that helps. I'd hope there's a good non-partisan mix of how the whole system works/tries-to-work, with "how to avoid disenfranchisement" information (whether or not disanfranchisement is partisan itself), but know well enough not to pin my hopes on any of that.

(Also, I don't think this is actually a controversial idea, except by the kinds of people who really like to disproportionately disenfranchise others. Sorry to get all boringly standard in this thread.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 26, 2021, 04:40:45 pm »

Quick starver, add some abortion and some 5g vaccines theory in your post to make it controversial before you get thrown out of the thread!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 28, 2021, 04:26:53 am »

Quick starver, add some abortion and some 5g vaccines theory in your post to make it controversial before you get thrown out of the thread!
Maybe throw in something about gender, just to make sure.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: August 14, 2021, 04:38:09 am »

dutchies you meet in urban setting: speak all languages, open minded, cosmopolitan, sensible

dutchy expat in east belgium: total buur, acts like he doesn't understand you when he doesn't want to comply, super entitled, will want to speak to your manager

I swear they are actively making me racist. Worst customers.  Like that motherfucks who put plastic bags on the green waste (lawns and hedges and stuff), asks me "niet goed?" and once I cut them open and empty them needs to pretend he wanted to keep the bag because I didn't stroke his retarded karen ego. I will actively discriminate against any dutch accent that ventures in my hood from now on, this is a promise.  Fucking white trash. They are not sending their best.
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: August 14, 2021, 10:23:25 am »

They are not sending their best.
This. I wanted to say "that behaviour is in no way representative for the average dutch person", but heh, we seem to have sadly bred a subculture of rowdy savages.
Not just white trash, it's morroccan trash, turkish trash and black carribean trash too, it's a subculture based on social demographic rather than race, and they are overrepresented amongst dutch tourists /expats in Europe, making us look bad indeed.
They randomly kill people in Spain (the victim happened to be dutch too), they destroy fountains and put people in hospital in Italy, and they are rude to you in Belgium.

(Laat ik het de "ik-doe-wat-ik-wil-schijt-aan-de-rest-cultuur noemen)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:26:24 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: August 14, 2021, 11:54:51 am »

Now that you say it...

Friend works at hotel, his boss also rents bungalos or something in that vein. Some bulgarian dutch rented for 5, showed up as 14, trashed the place and then made a scene when asked to pay, then gaslighted the owner "to chill down" when police was mentionned... In the end they had to block the parking with a bunch of cars to make sure they pay up.

But you were supposed to disagree according to thread etiquette bro ;)
let

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 14, 2021, 12:16:18 pm »

But you were supposed to disagree according to thread etiquette bro ;)

Yeah, I wanted to see blood.  Or at least a quick ten day campaign or something.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 14, 2021, 03:05:41 pm »

Belgium... now, that's a special case. Walloon and Flemish problems.  (Three countries in one. The Dutch part, the French part and the very very very small bit which at least tries to act entirely impartially when they want to.)

A French speaker can get short-shrift for trying to speak French in the non-Francophone bit. The person can pretend not to understand. Until it's picked up that it's an actual French interlocutor, then they'll happily parler entirely fluently and pleasantly. (As a bad French speaker, it might be even better for me. Hopefully they'll switch to English. Ich ne hablo pas sua lingvon, guv!)

I have absolutely no idea about the rest of the issues. It sounds like yet another layer of culture.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 28, 2022, 10:47:37 pm »

There is no particular reason for all this Elden Ring hype.
A necromantical unpopular take.
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 28, 2022, 10:56:13 pm »

I have been avoiding it.

I am assuming it is either a bog standard open-world action-RPG, or a soulsborne?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 01, 2022, 03:01:43 am »

From what I’ve gathered, it’s an open-world-ier soulsborne game, far more souls than borne, haha.

I’m just wondering why you’d want this extremely pricy new game and not play the previous, much-cheaper games, that are… the same thing. Have all the people buying it, despite reports of lag and poor performance, played the other souls games, or sekiro, all of which are cheaper and more available?

Not to say it’s a bad game, and to call it ‘exactly the same as other soulsborne games’ is surely wrong — just the hype and absolute spread of it over games forums or reddit seems unwarranted to me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 09:42:41 am by Laterigrade »
bool IsARealBoy = false

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #762 on: March 01, 2022, 04:57:56 am »

Having not played it yet, I refuse to call Elden Ring a soulsborne game until it is confirmed that it contains a tragic fight with an old man

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 01, 2022, 09:03:15 am »

Having not played it yet, I refuse to call Elden Ring a soulsborne game until it is confirmed that it contains a tragic fight with an old man

It at least has a poisonous swamp section.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 01, 2022, 09:27:20 am »

first major boss has a giant walking stick he beans you over the head with, does that count? He just kind of sneers at your ambition after he pulps you, though.

Not gonna lie, some of it feels more like the bog-standard medieval fantasy fare that Dark Souls is usually good about navigating around, and in the effort to fill the open world with shtuff, some of it just feels pointless (a column of zombies marching into the ocean? A bunch of scythe bearing dudes standing around a ring of small holes summoning a slightly larger zombie?), and the woefully small amount of direction the genre generally gives the player allows you to rather easily traipse past fundamental gameplay elements and be none the wiser for their existence. You turn left somewhere and you're getting two-banged by blue guys, and then you turn right and find a mine mini-dungeon where the boss at the end is.... a slightly larger mook that you already fought several of at the castle down the road. The crux of the open world is that the sense of pacing is totally lost on the player, I find.

The open world is the novelty, really. Whether or not it holds up against the other entries remains to be seen, but I'm enjoying it regardless. I'm also one of those weirdos whose favorite was Dark Souls 2, so my opinion may not be so valuable.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 57