Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Libraries, temples and inns  (Read 1993 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Libraries, temples and inns
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:41:32 pm »

So I haven't played much in a while and just started again.  I am excited about temples and inns, and the ability to write books but I don't really understand them.  It looks like Dwarves have a need to worship,  I gave them one general temple, do specialized temples work better?  Is it worth it to stick dedicated performers in?  How about inns?  So far mine has attracted some visitors, including a couple of humans who applied for residency so it seems like it is working but all I did was designate an area and stick some chests in it.  It looks like there is a way to rent rooms?  How does that work?

I read through the paper industry page on the wiki, so I have a decent idea of how to set up a library but I don't really understand what it does.  Do dwarves just occasionally read and write books or can those books have effects like necromancer books do?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Libraries, temples and inns
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »

With a tavern, make a room like you would for one of your dwarves, and designate it as a room, but don't give it to a dorf. Assign it to the tavern with the [l]ocations option, and select the tavern. One of your long term residents, like mercenaries and performers, will now live in that room. You should add a small drink stockpile to the tavern, and produce some instruments, mostly produced in the craftdwarfshop but other shops can be involved. Assign a tavernkeeper and a performer when one joins, and BAM! good working tavern. Some statues and smoothed floor for enjoyment, letting people who come to drink and party also get more happy thoughts.

A temple dedicated to one god has no effect on if the person prays or not, so having them dedicated to one god is pretty pointless, unless you want to set up a religious caste system, such as giving rainbow worshipers crappy temples, and war worshippers epic temples that make the king jealous.

The library is for those dwarves who never do anything around you fort, send a couple peasants there as scholars and instead they'll stand around discussing things and arguing and once a season or so writing if you give them scrolls and quires. You'll get foreign scholars appearing too, and they'll read and discuss and write as well. You get to keep the books and scrolls they write, and then your scribes can make copies. If you make the scrolls and books out of nice material, these copies make a pretty decent trade good, since they'll have the value of: the sheet, the thread used to bind the book, the book binding, and the writing, in the case of books, and the roller, the sheet, and the writing, in the case of scrolls, all with a quality meter increasing price. If you get a masterfully written masterwork roc quire, masterwork candy book binding, and masterfully black dyed GCS binding, studded with emeralds and sapphires and rubies, this book can buy you anything you want.

But you could also just keep the books around for your people to read for happy thoughts.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »

And, just for kicks, you can witness some Fun by sneaking a necromancer's book into the library.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:35:13 am »

Having performers and tavern keepers cause them to shove booze down the throat of patrons (including goblins and vampires). This can lead to death through suffocation (on vomit) and lethal "non lethal" brawls. If you want this, you probably won't get it, and if you don't you probably will, as results have varied.

Performers and instruments in temples seem to be rather pointless currently.

Books and research currently does little (with the obvious exception of Shonai_Dweller's suggestion). Reading books satisfies the need for introspection, and it's said books can cause shifts of values (a book touting the worthlessness of knowledge might cause a slight decrease of this quality in readers), and some books can give a very small boost to some skills.

MorsDux

• Bay Watcher
  • If you only have a hammer, all problems seem nails
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 11:28:07 am »

whenever i have goblin visitor i deassign the tavern staff, so they wont overdrink. Didnt have casualties with other races yet.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:30:45 pm »

I'm having the occasional dorf pass out in a drinks pile. Not the tavern drinks pile though. While I haven't followed everyone's booze trips closely, it looks as though they made their own way to the booze and drunk too much of it without the aid of my tavern keeper.

No ones died so far. There's always someone around to carry them off to hospital where they recover quickly.

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:12:19 pm »

And, just for kicks, you can witness some Fun by sneaking a necromancer's book into the library.
I tried that and some visiting scribe stole it.......

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:36 pm »

Can you check legends to see where it ended up?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 09:06:36 pm »

Can you check legends to see where it ended up?
A lot of scribes visit sites on rotation so chances are he'll be back one day.

Just hope that he's not accompanied by a moaning bloodthirsty undead hoard...

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:47:00 am »

I've found I have the best results with a tavern without a drinks pile. If they want a drink, they will jolly well go and get one, but I don't get dorfs who are so drunk they die. I do always put a well and soap stockpile in my tavern now, because soapy dwarves in the middle of the tavern amuses me.

I also like having a sheet of falling water as the tavern "door", it leads to cleaner dwarves (not everyone likes soap) and more happy thoughts from mist.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 07:06:08 am »

It's the first time I hear it said dorfs can over indulge on their own. If they don't have rooms and there are no dorms (or they are hunters), they go to sleep where ever they happen to be when deciding to sleep, which could very well be in the booze stockpile after having gotten a night cap. If dorfs actually pass out due to intoxication, they should get lung damage (suffocation due to airways blocked by vomit), and you should also have vomit over your booze stockpile (you can get that from cave adaptation as well, though).
I keep food and drinks in the tavern on the off chance they actually grab it there rather than trekking to the big stockpiles.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:23:04 am »

I placed my hospital near the tavern.  Totally by accident but it turned out to be useful. 
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 04:58:49 pm »

It's the first time I hear it said dorfs can over indulge on their own. If they don't have rooms and there are no dorms (or they are hunters), they go to sleep where ever they happen to be when deciding to sleep, which could very well be in the booze stockpile after having gotten a night cap. If dorfs actually pass out due to intoxication, they should get lung damage (suffocation due to airways blocked by vomit), and you should also have vomit over your booze stockpile (you can get that from cave adaptation as well, though).
I keep food and drinks in the tavern on the off chance they actually grab it there rather than trekking to the big stockpiles.
So what's happening to them? They're being rescued and taken to hospital from the drinks pile where they recover (without diagnosis). They're not injured and their only thoughts are of being rescued, of resting and of being inebriated. Can't imagine sleeping outside a bedroom is cause to be rescued these days. And they certainly didn't dehydrate in the drinks pile (they have hands and heads). The only clue is their spilled drink (once in the drinks pile, another on the hospital bed). Possible non-lethal vampire attacks?

Both dorfs were your typical over-drinkers (weak willed, etc). One of them actually 'felt nothing after being inebriated' but was pretty jolly and focussed otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:02:33 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 05:58:30 pm »

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, Shonai_Dweller, only that it's something new and unexpected to me, and thus I try to come up with known causes of a similar behavior. Careful study of the situation may resolve the issue in one way or another.

As far as I know passing out due to alcohol poisoning results in lung damage and vomit (as well as spilled drinks). Sleeping where they shouldn't doesn't result in rescue, as far as I know, but stunning does (or rather, can do).
A vampire attack should result in a pale victim, and no spilled drinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 06:18:46 pm »

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong, Shonai_Dweller, only that it's something new and unexpected to me, and thus I try to come up with known causes of a similar behavior. Careful study of the situation may resolve the issue in one way or another.

As far as I know passing out due to alcohol poisoning results in lung damage and vomit (as well as spilled drinks). Sleeping where they shouldn't doesn't result in rescue, as far as I know, but stunning does (or rather, can do).
A vampire attack should result in a pale victim, and no spilled drinks.
Time for some Science then!
Pages: [1] 2