Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to Take Screenshots, upload pictures and other cool stuff - Tutorial  (Read 3965 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

I find that there are many and I mean many people who don't know how to properly take screenshots and as an extra I'm gonna say how to upload them. I'm putting this here cause this is where most people post pics.

Here we Go:
If you are on windows, you can basically search "snipping tool" and use it It's pretty simple so if you figured DF out, I'm sure you can figure it out.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alternatively you can download a tool for making screenshots, it applies for Mac. I recommend either Greenshot or Lightshot. I'm sure there are many others and there isn't one that's the best, but I prefer those two. Out of those two I personally use Lightshot.

Mac:
On mac, this is how you take screenshots.
First, press command-shift-4. Your cursor should switch to something like this:
Now, click and drag across the area you want to screenshot.
Release the mouse, then check your desktop — the screenshot will be there after a couple seconds.
Then, just upload to Imgur or some other image hosting site, and link it using the image markup on the forum.

Uploading pictures:
Go to imgur.com, press new post, choose the image you want, wait for it to upload, copy the BBCode and post it here. Voila

Posting pictures:

BBcode:
when posting pictures with a BBcode, it's also useful to know about the "img width" modifier.
While you can post the raw image just using the {img}{/img} tag (the button below the Boldface one), you can also change the pixel width of a posted image to fit the screen or text if you wish by adding "width=###" 

The tag then becomes {img width=number of pixels}BBCode{/width}

Example:
This image is the raw image file (in the spoiler 'cause it's really big) just using "img /img"

That's way too big to be useful, so instead we can use the "img width=200 /img" tag to bring the exact same file down to a much more manageable width of 200 pixels:
 And now it doesn't need to be inside a spoiler.

What's really fun is that you can use this to use your pictures as link buttons:
{url=http...} Text goes here {/url} Is the usual way to make a text link such as this link to the large map of Dinnerwandered.

However, suppose I want to set my image as the link button instead?  I can use {url=http...}{img width=200}BBCode{/img}{/url}
and viola!

My picture is now a 200 pixel width link button to the large map of Dinnerwandered.

With proper planning, a grid of such picture buttons could become a useful tool for telling a non-linear story, but that's not really in the scope of this tutorial.

Animated GIFs:
For animated GIfs there is a nice tool called Screentogif, , but you have to play in windowed mode while you're recording. StG let's you edit the frames after recording, removing individual ones, or even writing on top of them.

Special Thanks to IlFedaykin, TimelessBob, Snackfox and Salmeuk for helping with the tutorial.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:36:55 pm by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Take Screenshots and upload pictures - Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 05:10:25 am »

You should also tell them how to post the pictures :P

Actually i never managed to get a good resolution when posting them, they are always a little pixeled

Steedat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 09:54:27 pm »

Thank you both, this is useful info.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:21:13 am »

when posting pictures with a BBcode, it's also useful to know about the "img width" modifier.
While you can post the raw image just using the {img}{/img} tag (the button below the Boldface one), you can also change the pixel width of a posted image to fit the screen or text if you wish by adding "width=###" 

The tag then becomes {img width=number of pixels}BBCode{/width}

Example:
This image is the raw image file (in the spoiler 'cause it's really big) just using "img /img"

That's way too big to be useful, so instead we can use the "img width=200 /img" tag to bring the exact same file down to a much more manageable width of 200 pixels:
 And now it doesn't need to be inside a spoiler.

What's really fun is that you can use this to use your pictures as link buttons:
{url=http...} Text goes here {/url} Is the usual way to make a text link such as this link to the large map of Dinnerwandered.

However, suppose I want to set my image as the link button instead?  I can use {url=http...}{img width=200}BBCode{/img}{/url}
and viola!

My picture is now a 200 pixel width link button to the large map of Dinnerwandered.

With proper planning, a grid of such picture buttons could become a useful tool for telling a non-linear story, but that's not really in the scope of this tutorial.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:56:16 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:09:23 am »

Thanks, was just gonna add this myself.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:29:01 am »

Post to keep it up there. Don't want to suggest anything but well it would be nice to get it sticked.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »

Try linking to it in the DF Wikipedia
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:18:08 am »

*bump because you asked me to*
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 11:28:56 am »

Release the mouse, then check your desktop — the screenshot will be there after a couple seconds.
Then, just upload to Imgur or some other image hosting site, and link it using the image markup on the forum.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:30:32 am by snackfox »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:00 am »

Thx

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:27:30 am »

o.0

....this.....seems overly complicated.

What's wrong with Print Screen, Ctrl+V at imgur?

EDIT: I prefer to post pictures west.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 09:11:08 am »

o.0

Don't worry it's not complicated once you get the basics. Also, damn that mistake.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:34 am »

o.0

Don't worry it's not complicated once you get the basics. Also, damn that mistake.

What I mean is why bother with a photo snipping tool at all?

Just hit the Print Screen button. it saves whatever is on your current screen to the clipboard.

Go to imgur, hit the "Upload new photo" button, and hit Ctrl+V. Use the Imgur Edit controls to resize, rotate, crop, etc to taste. On Windows, anyway. no clue about any other OS
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 04:58:47 pm »

o.0

What I mean is why bother with a photo snipping tool at all?

Just hit the Print Screen button. it saves whatever is on your current screen to the clipboard.

Go to imgur, hit the "Upload new photo" button, and hit Ctrl+V. Use the Imgur Edit controls to resize, rotate, crop, etc to taste. On Windows, anyway. no clue about any other OS
I guess that works too.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 03:32:15 am »

I use prntscrn and paint.net, where I crop, annotate, and resize before uploading in bulk to imgur. Those bbcode commands to set a pixel width seem extremely useful, however, and I might just use those from now on.

I also hoard all my old journal entries and their corresponding images in case they are removed from imgur.
Pages: [1] 2