Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to Take Screenshots, upload pictures and other cool stuff - Tutorial  (Read 4011 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to Take Screenshots and upload pictures - Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 04:12:15 am »

What do people use to make those cool animated gifs? (Fortress and Adventurer mode noob instructions would be much appreciated).

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 04:15:29 am »

What do people use to make those cool animated gifs? (Fortress and Adventurer mode noob instructions would be much appreciated).
I know imgur can hold gifs, however I'm personally not sure what tool. I'm actually curious myself.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 03:44:44 pm »

I use a tool called ScreentoGif. Its pretty handy, but you have to play in windowed mode while you're recording. StG let's you edit the frames after recording, removing individual ones, or even writing on top of them.

DF makes nice, small .gifs because not much changes from frame to frame, especially if you drop the recording framerate to something like 12fps.

I would love it if more DF .gifs existed, so give it a shot!

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 06:48:54 pm »

I use a tool called ScreentoGif. Its pretty handy, but you have to play in windowed mode while you're recording. StG let's you edit the frames after recording, removing individual ones, or even writing on top of them.

DF makes nice, small .gifs because not much changes from frame to frame, especially if you drop the recording framerate to something like 12fps.

I would love it if more DF .gifs existed, so give it a shot!
Gonna add this to the tutorial if that's OK.
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

snackfox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • biddyfox.com

Personally, I use Gyazo GIF. I wouldn't recommend it, though, because it's kind of hard to use and you have to have good timing for the gif to be very useful. Additionally, sometimes it just plain old doesn't work when I try to use it — and even sometimes the overlay gets stuck so I have to open activity monitor and terminate it. Mostly I use it because it works on Mac.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Here's another option for Gifs. I used GifCam, which I picked up from browsing Roomcarnage. You can check out my posts in Murderflood, Breadbowl and ConstructIvory for some examples. 

Pretty user friendly with advanced user options. You can resize the UI to change the Gif size and just drag the overlay over DF to record. I guess DF must be in windowed mode. Its fiddly when you get started with it because with Gifs and recording you need precise timing. But once you get used to it, it works just fine. Would advise saving manually before events you want to record in case recording screws up, if you're fine with occasionally rewriting history when gifs don't work out (sometimes you get a green screen background with GifCam). Gifs can be pretty large sometimes, so I would advise experimenting, especially with the quantize options. There are also options to edit your recordings before saving as a gif.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Bump to the first page
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:03:12 am by snow dwarf »

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile

ptw/remember, the gif thingy is incredibly useful.

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile

Bump to the first page

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I find image hosting sites to be too much hassle. Imgur was mentioned here. I just read their Terms of Service and I haven't seen any mention of how long the images are kept. If I upload an image there, and link it here, it may be okay for a week, month, year, but I have no guarantee.

I bought my own domain and webhosting associated with it. It is a yearly payment and I find it cheap enough. Now I have total control over the uploaded images, I can update existing images and delete them. And uploaded images stay online as long as I renew the domain+hosting. And if I want the image deleted, it gets deleted when I choose to. Being able to upload anything (saves for example) is also a nice option. There is no need to actually host a web on a webhosting. It can be just a random bunch of images without any page to link them together. You know what you uploaded and you can link it.

It's just an another option to consider. Not too bad option in my opinion.
Pages: 1 [2]