Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to have fun in adventure mode  (Read 6782 times)

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to have fun in adventure mode
« on: February 22, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »

This is a rather broad topic, so let me sum it up real quick:

Every time I try to play adventure mode, it always ends with me being killed before I can complete a quest. I've tried the wiki tutorial, but I can't seem to get it to work.

So, how do I get started in adventure mode?
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How to have fun in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 04:44:16 pm »

1: Don't just try to do quests the NPC give you.
2: Make your own quest. Be the dude who murdered dragons with a barrage of snails, or the scholar who wrote tons of abstract books and scrolls while hiding out in a fortress, coming out at night to steal drink and food, or the guy who aspired to be a wereiguana, and instead turned into a wererhino lizard. Do what you wanna do.
3: Have fun.
4: Die.
5: Try again.

An example is a while ago I was a vampiric necromancer salt water crocodile man, who never used his necro powers. I went down rivers in slow travel all day, and ended up going from the northernmost tundra of my world to the southernmost ocean, just swimming through the rivers, interacting with nearby towns and such. The quest I was given? Kill a giant dingo.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:46:01 pm by StagnantSoul »
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 05:05:49 pm »

The actual in-game 'reasons' given to you as player for playing are still quite limited, there's simple quests and there's reputation (martial and artistic) and that's about it right now.

Since you're playing the 'less finished' part of an unfinished game, you're going to have to apply some imagination.

One way is to take a look at the world you're playing in before starting (use something like Legends Viewer). An overview of the state of the world might make it easier to decide who your adventurers are, where they're from, where they're going and what sites you could conceivably build and so on. (Always assume the plural. Despite some people's insistence on playing once then destroying their world, it's actually more fun using one for a while).

For example, just because there are no in-game festivals implemented yet, doesn't mean you can't make up a journey about a wannabe bard peasant travelling from a small village to the biggest city in the world to play at their major festival.

Also read through threetoes stories and browse the dev notes to see the sort of things that the worlds should contain someday.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 05:19:51 pm »

This is a rather broad topic, so let me sum it up real quick:

Every time I try to play adventure mode, it always ends with me being killed before I can complete a quest. I've tried the wiki tutorial, but I can't seem to get it to work.

The mistake that most of us make when we first start playing is we rush into things. We are too quick to go on quests, kill stuff and run wild. And when we don't pay enough attention to the little things, we either have no idea what's going on or we die seemingly random deaths.

I'd suggest taking it slow and get to know your world. When you first start, check the temperature (shift + p), and if you're outside, check the time of day (shift + w). Slowly (l)ook around at everything, tile by tile. This way you'll become familiar with the tiles on the map and know what they stand for. These things could become important when you're fighting or trying to avoid something that's trying to find you.

Talk to NPCs by "asking about surroundings." This gives you a feel for your local area. It tells you what's going on. Once you get an idea of this and maybe decide that you want to chase something down, then you can "ask for directions" to a location that interests you. Asking about troubles often gives you info about places that are at the other end of the world, so I'd skip using that.

Experiment with the world and when there's something you don't know search the forums before asking. This is a thing I did and I'd ended up reading a scattershot of forum posts, and slowly I figured out what was going on and what I wanted to do. Once I had that foundation, the wiki actually became more helpful.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:35:07 pm by peasant cretin »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 05:51:59 pm »

also remember "losing is fun, now it's personal!" so other than dying you could lose stuff even more. like the option of being friends with an person, lose out on getting to build that hut due to ambush dragon burning your logs,
 lose out on a beast curse due to them dying in a river, lose out on getting a no kill adventurer run by accidentally throwing someone too hard.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

McNoodlehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 07:32:53 pm »

While taking a break from my elf adventurer, I made five vampire adventurers and recruited several companions for each of them, turning each companion into a vampire as well by making them drink my blood. Then I built a mansion in the woods called Bloodmanor, and my group is called the 'Coven of Immortality'. We have a shrine in a tower that has a silver goblet full of vampire blood in case I want to turn anyone else.

I'd call that fun as it is, but now I'm planning on waiting a few in-game years (probably eight to ten) and then making a vampire hunter adventurer who tries to kill them all.

Do somethin' like that.
You bumbled your way into what some people consider winning the game.
My guess is he drew a mushroom on a throne and shoved it in their faces again and again, and kept slapping anyone who looked like they disagree.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:28:13 am »

Hard to say without knowing more. What's killing you? How is it killing you?

I usually start out by making sure I have full armor coverage and a shield (not a buckler) and then finding a small wild animal to train defensive skills on.

Full armor coverage can be had with: helm, mail shirt, chain leggings, gauntlets, boots. All metal if possible. Add a breastplate if it doesn't slow you down.

Defensive skills: armor user, dodge, observer, and shield user. I usually start with just observer as it's slow to train.

I always use aimed attacks (A). The usual pattern is: block attack, quick attack (u) of opportunity (!), repeat. Focus on the legs/feet - if they can't stand that gives you a big advantage.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 02:30:00 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 11:26:48 am »

The actual in-game 'reasons' given to you as player for playing are still quite limited, there's simple quests and there's reputation (martial and artistic) and that's about it right now.

Since you're playing the 'less finished' part of an unfinished game, you're going to have to apply some imagination.

One way is to take a look at the world you're playing in before starting (use something like Legends Viewer). An overview of the state of the world might make it easier to decide who your adventurers are, where they're from, where they're going and what sites you could conceivably build and so on. (Always assume the plural. Despite some people's insistence on playing once then destroying their world, it's actually more fun using one for a while).

For example, just because there are no in-game festivals implemented yet, doesn't mean you can't make up a journey about a wannabe bard peasant travelling from a small village to the biggest city in the world to play at their major festival.

Also read through threetoes stories and browse the dev notes to see the sort of things that the worlds should contain someday.

Well, on the world I have, all of humanity has been taken over by tyrannical bird men gangs, the shops are abandoned, and everything has holes in it. Is it possible to liberate a city/settlement?
-Yahtzee

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:39:17 pm »

Well, on the world I have, all of humanity has been taken over by tyrannical bird men gangs, the shops are abandoned, and everything has holes in it. Is it possible to liberate a city/settlement?
wait just humanity or are dwarves and elves affected also?
"body swapping and YOU!"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:51:56 pm »

Are you playing a pocket world? Try something a bit bigger. There's something wrong with your balance if one entity (bird gang?) has somehow taken over the entire world. Better still, play with just vanilla races, basic worldgen.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 04:53:45 pm »

It's actually a bunch of bird-men criminal gangs on a medium world. All vanilla/default races, no mods, etc.

Medium world, short history (125 years)
-Yahtzee

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 06:16:53 pm »

It's actually a bunch of bird-men criminal gangs on a medium world. All vanilla/default races, no mods, etc.

And they've taken over every site of every civilization in the world? Curious.
As to your question, yeah you can liberate towns by killing whoever's in charge and taking over yourself. But I believe there's possibly an issue where the site doesn't count as a member of your civ.

Sbcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [MALFUNCTIONING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 06:22:04 pm »

Can you give a seed for this please.
To the beer!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 07:35:06 pm »

And they've taken over every site of every civilization in the world? Curious.
As to your question, yeah you can liberate towns by killing whoever's in charge and taking over yourself. But I believe there's possibly an issue where the site doesn't count as a member of your civ.
uhh no as in human towns kinda work like this and 'liberation' is technically you creating a new civ, that all the other citizens don't fall under the new civ if you go and take over.
and chances are bandit groups don't become lords and ladys of human towns unless you ended up with those which then your going to give your character a bad rep for murder.
your not doing anyone good "liberating" them when the seat of power in human towns are basically a game of musical chairs.

"body swapping and YOU!"

fucduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 07:06:28 am »

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:26:40 am by fucduck »
Pages: [1] 2