Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to have fun in adventure mode  (Read 6769 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: How to have fun in adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 07:13:29 am »

Focus in Ambush, Dodging and Cutting Weapons.

Capital S, Sneak. Go behind enemies, cut their throats.
Do this 5 to 9 times and your character will become more or less godlike.

Get yourself some decent armor, if you can't, stick to Stealth.
realize you can choke-hold folks if you want a quick no bloody easy death,
or realizing by aiming at the throat from behind them you can break their spines and cripple them from the neck down.
and spend the rest of the game as a no skilled assassin. though at this point you start figuring out how to get your adventurer into noble classes so they can rule over dwarves.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 07:56:40 pm »

Or kill a dragon using only kisat dur. Extra points if you are a worm man. (I did choke a dragon to death once,  but never managed to get to the point of doing this as a worm man. )
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Inconspicuous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 09:56:30 pm »

Well, I just got into an interesting situation.

In a drunken barfight, I "accidentally" gouged a man's eyes out. Shortly after, he surrendered,but not before stabbing me in the foot with a cheap knife. I stole his coin purse, recruited two companions, and left. Shortly after I was ambushed by the royal guard and a giant crocodile that had escaped from the sewers. For some reason, the human enemies were frozen, so I started by attacking the giant crocodile. One of my companions fled, and the other was slain when the crocodile got a lucky hit on his head. I managed to strangle the crocodile with my bare hands. The guards took chase,but I managed to escape, hiding in a tavern. I fled the town for my life, recruiting three more companions to replace the two. I am now at the nearest bandit camp, preparing to meet the bandit leader.
I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is just WRONG.
-Yahtzee

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2017, 03:35:09 pm »

A way to increase the hilarity and fun in adventure mode is to add [CRAZED] to every major species (human, dwarves, elves, gobs) from creature_standard.txt  :

- you're in a town ? that's great because you will not witness anymore those weak and nothing happens insurrection, you will now try to survive massive civil wars (thanks to worldgen ignoring the tag and things being multi-species in current version).
- there's a marketplace in the town you're visiting ? that's good because it means that the town will have to defend against bloodthirsty "merchant" invaders regularly like in Fortress Mode.
- there are some cult with odd random names in town ? that's great because heavy chances that [CRAZED] has transformed it into a death cult trying to spread death and destruction through the place (thanks to multi-specie nature of current DF and cults being multi-species)
- too easy to go in goblins site and kills truckload of gobs without much risks in gob sites ? not anymore when you have a thousand of gobs that now want to kill any non-gob newcomer, though can't do much for those being silly laggy place.
- it's boring to visit elven retreats ? not anymore if you're not playing as an elf, elven peace has a different meaning now.
- dwarves fortress you visit are no fun due to how slow and boring design ? not much to do unfortunately but at least it will be much more lively if you're not playing as a dwarf.

Just be sure to remove the [CRAZED] tag from any specie you're playing in Fortress Mode (the dwarves if you haven't modded things) , as [CRAZED] characters are considering lost to the player in Fortress Mode meaning insta-fortress crumbling when you start one.

Frock_13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 08:07:06 am »

How does this affect gameplay? It sounds really interesting you if you can still talk to people/merchants to get quests, trade, etc. I would love a completely chaotic world.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 08:24:07 am »

In practice, as long as your character is of the same specie as the NPC around him, he can interact exactly the same as in "normal" gameplay.
You can then get allies, trade, talk, faction still exist etc .. exactly as usual.

Now if the NPC is from a different specie, it is a completely different story he will want you and your allies dead, your allies will want him dead etc...

The fun isn't limited to NPC but also to animals, it can led to even more fun if for animals you add [NOFEAR] too along with [CRAZED] to animals definitions.
Because it's then a great way to re-enact tales like the Rabbit of Caerbannog and add more hilarious things happening like a hoary marmot coming to the rescue
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=51245.msg6463073;topicseen#msg6463073

Now in case you want to retire an adventurer from a specie that has [CRAZED] you will need first to remove that tag from your specie definition in the creature_standard.txt located in the .\raw\objects\ folder -from the saved world region- (not the default .\raw\objects\ folder)
Because if you don't do that, the [CRAZED] tag will disallow you to retire the character, he can only ever save the game or die from starvation.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:29:00 am by Robsoie »

Frock_13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 08:31:10 am »

That actually sounds pretty amazing, it's like the ultimate civil war type scenario. I'm modifying my RAWs as we speak.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 08:38:17 am »

It's plenty of fun, and make walking around a hamlet slightly different :)

edit : i remembered, you may want to remove [BENIGN] tag from the creatures that have it too, can't say if it's necessary but i imagine it may be possible for it to interfere with the willingness to follow the [CRAZED] tag,  [BENIGN] creatures supposedly don't really attack before being "provoked".
I remember the dwarves have this tag, don't remember if another specie has it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:32:12 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 [2]