Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Stone for Sharp Rocks?  (Read 2193 times)

Nibblewerfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Stone for Sharp Rocks?
« on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:04 pm »

What is the best stone for knapping in adventure mode, would it be obsidian if you can find it or if not are there any stones with notable features? What is the best weapon for adventurers in a landscape devoid of civilizations.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
Re: Best Stone for Sharp Rocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:25:51 pm »

Most rocks will weigh 4r. If you look at DF2014:Stone and scroll to the bottom of the page where it lists all the types of stone, you can compare solid density if you look at the raws. Schist 2900, gabbro 2920, and calcite 2930 are the heaviest. My current character has a sharp gabbro weighing 5r. Extra weight equals more damage, but the weight difference here seems negligible compared to your skill level for Misc. Object User.

Arguably the best weapon for adventurers in a landscape devoid of civilizations would be teeth (Biter skill).

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:13:24 pm »

A wood shield and a stone axe is probably it. The 'assemble stone axe' reaction doesn't use a skill so pretty sure you can only ever make a normal quality one.

As for sharpness, obsidian is the only one with a unique value, the rest are all the same.

And, I think sharpness only matters for thrown items if they have a 'edge' attack, which 'sharp rocks' don't have. So, throwing sharp rocks is the same as throwing blunt rocks.

The stone axe does have an 'edge' attack as well as two 'blunt' ones. I think it chooses the damage type randomly from the available attacks when thrown.

I'm not sure if throwing bone crafts would be better - you could carry more though.

Training knapping, throwing, and archery does increase some attributes that help with all combat.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »

Obsidian axe is probably your best bet.