Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas?  (Read 746 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Ideas?
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »

I have RPG Maker XP, but have never really done anything with it. Ideas?
Updates will be posted if anything happens.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:27 am »

The battles representing verbal debates
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 09:44:15 pm »

Designer's Block? Just make a meta-RPG about the Dev being corrupted by a powerful in-game figure who has figured out they're in a game, the player has to defeat the figure and learn along the way about how meta it all is.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:59 pm »

The main character believes they're the main character of a happy-go-lucky upbeat high fantasy JRPG, but they live in an almost comically gritty dark fantasy setting. The hero fights using their oversized sword and overwhelming naiveté.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:19:33 pm »

Solid ideas. Thanks guys. I'll be sure to upload this when I have something worth uploading.

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:35:12 am »

The way to get rolling with game dev is to start small. It's better to have a single level game that's complete with beginning->middle->end than having one big game where everything is half done.

Think about it as if you were a writer. Would you show people a bunch of short stories or one big novel with missing bits everywhere and no proper beginning or ending, and where half the characters don't even have names yet? That's basically what a lot of amateur game developers actually do.

So basically make very small games, but make them as engaging and polished as you can make them in a reasonable amount of time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:37:48 am by Reelya »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 02:10:24 pm »

The way to get rolling with game dev is to start small. It's better to have a single level game that's complete with beginning->middle->end than having one big game where everything is half done.

Think about it as if you were a writer. Would you show people a bunch of short stories or one big novel with missing bits everywhere and no proper beginning or ending, and where half the characters don't even have names yet? That's basically what a lot of amateur game developers actually do.

So basically make very small games, but make them as engaging and polished as you can make them in a reasonable amount of time.

'Reasonable amount of time' being the keyword here, it'll be a while before I have anything really playable, (small or not) due to high school this year and getting ready for college next year. It may be a month before I get any significant progress, let alone something playable.

Thank you for the advice, though. I do have two large-ish games in my computer that are exactly like you described, namely, incomplete. I'd actually post them to get critiqued, but they really do suck and I've cannibalized script from a number of other games without crediting them, always a big no-no.

My game giveaway