Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: From where do invasions originate?  (Read 1775 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: From where do invasions originate?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:08 am »

I don't read the quote as a confirmation for the next release, but rather for a longer term, as adding new invaders would require messing with the diplomacy/siege/trade season stuff, but still, I hope it will make it in.
That question about the upcoming release was in the month that Toady announced what would happen in the upcoming release with invaders attracted by artifacts. But feel free to ask a clearer question if you think I confused him.

Rumours of artifacts, spies, entities that specfically seek out artifacts they have claims to, having those entities demand artifacts. The whole world is full of entities seeking out and demanding artifacts. Why bother adding the same artifact demanding negotiations to fortress mode if its going to remain with 'nearest goblin pit attacks at pop 80 regardless of any claims they have'.

Rumours already attract visitors from much further away than your neighbors. No reason to think all those artifact seeking entities will just ignore player forts for some reason.

Well we'll see.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 06:27:52 am »

I've never seen a siege out of season: all hello/goodbye sieges have been in the correct season, even if they've sometimes occurred before the siege trigger was met. I haven't heard of a siege from the "wrong" civ either. However, I hope I'm wrong.

I've heard some mentioning early on in 0.42.X that people were getting additional civs on their civ screens from visitors, but have neither seen it myself or heard of it for a long time, so it may just have been a misunderstanding of how the civ screen is populated (the assumption here is that a siege [whether real or hello/goodbye] from a new civ would add an entry to the civ screen as "normal" hostile civ encounters do).

The reason for why additional civs wouldn't make sieges isn't that they shouldn't, but that it would require fitting the sieges into the current mechanics somehow. Rather than ask, though, I'll make use of the "time will tell" feature and stop speculating on when it will appear.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 06:40:23 am »

Not quite sure what you're talking about, sorry.

We're talking about the possibility in the next version of DF of invasions being sent from sites further away than the ones they're sent from in the current version. If Toady wants to do that, he'll just do it and modify systems accordingly.

What's that got to do with seasons and bugged sieges in the current version?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 11:13:29 am »

I agree Toady will decide what to do and when (as always). The reason I brought up seasons and bugged sieges is that any sieges from further away will have to either fit into the current system for sieges (modified accordingly), or will have to work in parallel to that in a way that doesn't interfere with it too badly. In either case, I expect there would have to be changes to the existing system to a lesser or greater extent, which may be too great a scope if he attempts to do it right rather than a temporary thing shoe horned in.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 01:13:47 pm »

The current system for sieges is armies. I know this because I wrote the force siege script for DFHack, know precisely why it doesn't work and managed to get it to work in the current version once by teleporting an existing army to the fortress. I'm not just spitballing here, I've done the research.

The reason you only get sieges in the correct season is because they only send sieges in the correct season. Armies move very quickly across the world in fort mode, something like a region tile (1/16 of a world tile) every three ticks, or 25 world tiles a day. On a pocket world, it takes less than a day to travel the entire length of the world.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »

I believe Toady is currently implementing these things, so we will probably know within months (which is quite exciting).  The prospect of going to adventure mode, stealing an artefact, bringing it back and then having armies come to retrieve it is especially interesting for me because it's another opportunity to play hybrid style (and bring meaning to adventure mode).  I hope he notices and fixes the hostile/non-hostile visitor bug on the way, as it's the only really serious fort retirement bug I'm aware of.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 03:46:10 pm »

Next release, armies will be attracted by your artifacts, not just your nearness. They'll apparently come from further away.

If they want this turkey bone amulet they can gave it.

I envision Indiana Jones and some Nazis making it to the end of your fortress, and then they run into a room with nothing but plain grey scepters and rings made by 2 year old children. Also, one very bored two thousand year old goblin curator.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 [2]