Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 3 months after embark: "The dead walk. Hide while you still can!". Suggestions?  (Read 2363 times)

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

tldr: Questions:
1. Can previously 'killed' undead guys on your map rise again? If so, how to stop them?
2. How to defend against undead guys with starting 7 dwarves a few months into embark?
3. Are undead goblins/humans building destroyers?

The too long bit you no longer need to read:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Normal undead won't destroy buildings.
In a regular biome, the dead will only rise again if a necromancer raises them. Just shut the door and ignore them. They'll go away eventually. Juicy visitors might make them stay for quite a while though.

My last bunch of zombies hung out from Winter 1050 (year 1!) to the start of Spring 1052.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Invaders leave either after one season or one year unless driven off before that as far as I know, so one year and a season is an odd case.

You prevent critters from being raised by destroying their heads (though there is no way of ordering dorfs to do that on corpses). In addition to heads, severed parts with the ability to grasp can be raised. Note that heads can be raised ("grasping" by bite?), and the bad news is that any parts of heads can be raised. Head hair and head skin are almost completely invulnerable, so a single head hair can kill your fortress by the dorfs dying of dehydration while fighting it.

As Shonai_Dweller said: Have a door and lock it. Note that you may get trouble with keeping grazers alive, so you may need to emergency dig for the caverns to get spores released.

Critters that were building destroyers in life remain so in death. Your fortress would be in danger if protected by a door and one of the undead was a kobold (not a building destroyer, but a lock picker), but I've never seen a necro siege bring a kobold, nor trolls or ogres.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, yeah I was expecting them to leave after a year. They arrived in winter and made a beeline for the edge of the map just as winter ended the following year (after the seasonal autosave to indicate the start of Spring). I put it down to rounding or something and try not to think about it.

The living axedwarf who came with them is more worrying He became a histfig just to lead the zombie attack on us according to Legends. He's linked only to the dark tower and isn't a necromancer.

He's come back twice now leading a bunch of living (beardless) dwarves to besiege us momentarily (hello-goodbye siege).

Will be finishing up with this fortress soon so will send an adventurer to see what's going on. Gotta kill our vampire monarch too before he comes to feast on my precious fortress.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:43:23 am by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I've seen, it's fairly common for necro sieges to have living "handlers" who are not necros themselves (apprentices?). It shouldn't be possible, as far as I know, but apparently nobody told them...(It is, of course completely impossible for my knowledge to be incorrect ;) )

Isn't it easier to eliminate the monarch as it steps through the prepared royal entrance to the fortress?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I've seen, it's fairly common for necro sieges to have living "handlers" who are not necros themselves (apprentices?). It shouldn't be possible, as far as I know, but apparently nobody told them...(It is, of course completely impossible for my knowledge to be incorrect ;) )

Isn't it easier to eliminate the monarch as it steps through the prepared royal entrance to the fortress?
Yeah, I've heard people mention them before. Never heard of them coming back with living friends to siege you once a season afterwards though.

My fortress dorfs are good law-abiding citizens. An assassin needs to come from the outside. #RP

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't paid much attention to handlers, but the living tend to leave early, so at least necros have a tendency to return (not the stealthed ones, as they usually end up in a cage, through).

But everyone knows dorfs are forgetful with a poor attention to detail, so it's not impossible for unfortunate accidents to happen. In addition to that, I've heard the overseer is a ruthless bugger who won't shy away from instigating some wet works ;)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't paid much attention to handlers, but the living tend to leave early, so at least necros have a tendency to return (not the stealthed ones, as they usually end up in a cage, through).

But everyone knows dorfs are forgetful with a poor attention to detail, so it's not impossible for unfortunate accidents to happen. In addition to that, I've heard the overseer is a ruthless bugger who won't shy away from instigating some wet works ;)
Ha. As an adventurer I travelled over to the dark tower to see how everyone was getting on. As I strolled in, all the zombies in the room suddenly turned on their living axedwarf siege leader and tore him apart.

Guess Adventurer is working just fine...
 :D 

Mostali

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For initial defense, there's the impenetrable drain design:

Dig stairs down three, then over two, then stairs up one, and again over two, then stairs down.  Cover both stairs at the top of the drain with hatch covers and there's no force in DF that can get through them when you lock them both.

If you don't have space downward because of the aquifer, build a similar design out of wood above the surface.